Thread: D140 won’t run after running out of fuel

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    08-31-2018 @ 06:06 AM
    Thanks

D140 won’t run after running out of fuel

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer. Here’s what I know:
    1. Engine turns over fine.
    2. At first, there was no fuel in the filter. I took filter off and checked line from tank to filter. The fuel will flow out with gravity’s help if I point it toward ground.
    3. Then I put the filter on but not the line from filter to engine. The fuel will flow out of the filter if I point line down toward ground, but not when it’s at it’s normal orientation and I turn the engine over (I thought that fuel would “surge” out if everything were working properly but maybe I’m wrong on that one).
    4. I checked fuel line from filter to engine — it has no blockage
    5. I put this fuel line back on filter but not on engine. When I point line towards ground, fuel comes out.
    6. I tried taking off fuel tank cap because I’d read that can help restore flow of fuel —no help
    7. I hooked everything up again but it seems like fuel is not getting to engine.

From internet research, it seems like gunked-up screen in fuel tank or something gunking up carburetor are likely culprits. What do you think? If one of those is the likely problem, fixing those is a little bit beyond my current expertise.
    Thanks
    Craig

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:44 AM
    Thanks
    I'll assume that you attempted to start the machine shortly after shutting it down, meaning with a matter of days. If fuel flows through the line and filter your next step is to check flow through the fuel pump, if there is one on this model. If fuel flows past the pump or into the carburetor bowl then there is no flow to the carburetor jets. That would indicate a stuck float or clogged jets.

Another possibility could be the presence of water in the tank which was pulled to the carburetor when you ran out of gas and reached the bottom of the tank. If that is the case you should drain the tank, put 1/2 bottle of rubbing alcohol (70%) into the tank and drain again. The alcohol will combine with the water and even though you may have to choke the engine to keep it running while the water passes, it will burn and it will eventually move through the fuel system. I recently had to do this to my own tractor after water got into a full tank of gas.

So the choices are fuel pump, carburetor, or water in the bottom of the tank, now in the float bowl.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:33 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,590 Times in 1,209 Posts
    It sounds like you've eliminated a few things in the fuel line. It looks like the D140 has a fuel pump. Have you tested to see if fuel shoots out the pump as you crank the engine? Fuel pump is shown below. It will be bolted to the side of the engine. These pumps are vacuum operated via crankcase vacuum.

Also, there should be a fuel cut-off solenoid on the carb. It will be a small cylindrical can with two wires coming out of it. Listen carefully if it makes a clunk sound when you turn the ignition on. If it clunks when you turn the key on/off it is probably working.

I assume you have verified that you have good spark from the spark plugs?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails fuel_pump.jpg fuel_solenoida.jpg
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    03-02-2019 @ 06:20 PM
    Thanks
    Try removing the air filter. Spray some starting fluid or carb cleaner into the intake. Then try to start the engine. If it has a no fuel problem it should run at least momentarily. You might have to "prime" it a few times before it will stay running. Them vacuum powered fuel pumps are not very effective (do not move fuel well) when only cranking the engine over vs when it's running. As a matter of fact I just helped a friend put a new mechanical fuel pump (lever operation off of the cam shaft) on his Wheel Horse. The engine refused to start until I primed it with some starting fluid. On his a little shot was all it took.
    Tomfive likes this.
    2014 X540 with HDAP tires, 54" deck, brush guard, arm rests and cargo bag.
    JD 48" plow with angle from seat kit & heavy duty skid shoes.
    4 suitcase weights and chains.
    JD tow behind spreader.
    JD 42" lawn sweeper.
    JD 10P cart.
    JD JS61 RWD walk behind mower.
    Stihl KM110 power head with pole saw, shaft extension, power scythe, curved shaft edger, 2 straight shaft cutters (string & blade).
    Stihl MS180-CBE 16" saw.
    Stihl SH86C hand held blower vac.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    09-01-2019 @ 08:55 AM
    Thanks
    fuel tank cap off
    hand over filler neck
    use an air compressor to pressurize the gas tank while someone tries to start it.
    This scenario reminds me of diesel trucks
    Tomfive likes this.
    2018 X739 w/54HC MMM & Mulch Kit
    54" 4-Way Plow w/Custom Mount
    Ruegg 3PH and a gaggle of implements.

TSC = The Village of Idiots

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by H-D dealer dude View Post
    Try removing the air filter. Spray some starting fluid or carb cleaner into the intake. Then try to start the engine. If it has a no fuel problem it should run at least momentarily. You might have to "prime" it a few times before it will stay running. Them vacuum powered fuel pumps are not very effective (do not move fuel well) when only cranking the engine over vs when it's running. As a matter of fact I just helped a friend put a new mechanical fuel pump (lever operation off of the cam shaft) on his Wheel Horse. The engine refused to start until I primed it with some starting fluid. On his a little shot was all it took.
    Thanks for suggestions, everyone.

Forgive my ignorance: how do I find/ what is “the intake” exactly? I have the air filter off and I have a can of carb cleaner, and wanted to try this fix because it seemed the simplest. But I don’t want to spray anything anywhere to avoid doing the wrong thing. I attached picture of top of engine with filter off — can someone tell me where to spray?

I checked the fuel pump. The nipple where fuel line enters the pump was slightly damp after I turned it over. The outgoing nipple was dry. Don’t know if that means the pump isn’t working, or if it just means that this vacuum-type pump might not be working because of not enough suction because the engine isn’t running.

I don’t think the spark plug is the issue because I had the engine running no problem earlier in the day before I ran out of gas.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails AA6FB4A0-95CD-460B-9F50-8CA6ED45C3FE_1535407938901.jpeg

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    08-17-2019 @ 07:22 PM
    Thanks
    Are you sure you ran out of fuel and that the pump did not fail?

When I ran out of fuel once on my D-series, it took a little time for the pump to get the fuel into the carb, so I used a little starter fluid to get things moving. Once it sputtered a few times, the fuel started flowing via the pump. Just spay a little (1 second) into the openings normally covered by the air cleaner. I had to do this a couple of times.
    Last edited by 356; 08-27-2018 at 05:46 PM.
    JD 3025E | D160 loader | JD 413 Rotary Cutter | Behlen 7' grader blade | JD cultivator | Farm King PHD w/12" auger | Titan Ballast Box | 61" Pirhana bar | JD Sod Buster | Titan Pallet Fork w/receiver | Edge Tamers with Extensions | 5' King Kutter Rotary Tiller
    JD Z-Trac 335E with hitch and bumper kit | JD 8 cu ft cart
    JD D-100 Lawn Tractor w 42" deck | 10 cu ft HF cart
    1948 Ford 8N l 6' tooth harrow l Kawasaki Mule XC-SE
    Weather KMOLAWSO17 It's always sunny...unless it is not

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cope16904 View Post
    Thanks for suggestions, everyone.

Forgive my ignorance: how do I find/ what is ďthe intakeĒ exactly? I have the air filter off and I have a can of carb cleaner, and wanted to try this fix because it seemed the simplest. But I donít want to spray anything anywhere to avoid doing the wrong thing. I attached picture of top of engine with filter off ó can someone tell me where to spray?

I checked the fuel pump. The nipple where fuel line enters the pump was slightly damp after I turned it over. The outgoing nipple was dry. Donít know if that means the pump isnít working, or if it just means that this vacuum-type pump might not be working because of not enough suction because the engine isnít running.

I donít think the spark plug is the issue because I had the engine running no problem earlier in the day before I ran out of gas.
    Spray it into the D shaped opening on the left side of your picture. You don't want to flood it with too much. You can always spray more if it stalls out. Sometimes it's easier to with 2 people. One to turn the key and one to operate the spray can.
    Sorry about getting back to you so late.
    JD tow behind spreader.
    JD 42" lawn sweeper.
    JD 10P cart.
    Stihl KM110 power head with pole saw, shaft extension, power scythe, curved shaft edger, 2 straight shaft cutters (string & blade).
    Stihl MS180-CBE 16" saw.

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 356 View Post
    Are you sure you ran out of fuel and that the pump did not fail?

When I ran out of fuel once on my D-series, it took a little time for the pump to get the fuel into the carb, so I used a little starter fluid to get things moving. Once it sputtered a few times, the fuel started flowing via the pump. Just spay a little (1 second) into the openings normally covered by the air cleaner. I had to do this a couple of times.
    If your pump is bad it will never stay running. No matter how many times you prime it.
    JD tow behind spreader.
    JD 42" lawn sweeper.
    JD 10P cart.
    Stihl MS180-CBE 16" saw.

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    Thanks
    Thank you internet friends! I sprayed carb cleaner in the intake while my wife turned over the engine and it roared to life in about 2 seconds. So, thanks for the help.

For the first 20 or so minutes that the engine was running (whether idling or with the blades engaged), there was a “spitting” sound coming from the front of the engine every 2-3 seconds. Can someone tell me what the likely cause of that sound was?
    Gracias,
    Craig

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast