Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Looking for a new machine

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    09-17-2019 @ 05:48 PM
    Thanks

Looking for a new machine

I got a handed down Bolens 1600 eliminator from my father when I bought my first house 4 years ago. He bought it new in 1985. Good machine. Replaced the motor a couple times in it’s life, starters go every time it snows or when I really need to use it.i did the flywheel, I have replaced the starter twice in 2 years. replaced the transmission 2 years ago, deck is shot, has engine issues as we speak, hydro pump is whining good with good oil levels. Snowblower needs new bearings as well as front end parts, etc. it’s tired, and I’m tired of wrenching on it as I did by myself the last few years and with my father growing up. It’s 32 years old and it’s time, and not worth putting more money into it as parts are near impossible to find, expensive, not to mention the used parts I find are worn out more than the parts currently on the machine.
    I snowblow and mow. I’m 25, I have just over a half an acre. I plan on selling and buying another home in 5-6 years with enough room to hunt, shoot, and fish. I might be taking care of my grandparents driveway as well coming this winter. I hate belt driven attachments and transmissions. I want a 30 year machine.
    I’ve narrowed it down to a new x738 with 48 mower and 47 snowblower. 0%, why not get awd.
    What is the OAL of a 738 with snowblower attached. I have a 10x12 shed with the double doors on the 12’ side, so I have 10’ 2” to work with for inside demensions if I pull in straight.
    Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:25 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,606 Times in 1,220 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jgreen2193 View Post
    I snowblow and mow. Iím 25, I have just over a half an acre. I plan on selling and buying another home in 5-6 years with enough room to hunt, shoot, and fish. I might be taking care of my grandparents driveway as well coming this winter. I hate belt driven attachments and transmissions. I want a 30 year machine.
    Iíve narrowed it down to a new x738 with 48 mower and 47 snowblower. 0%, why not get awd.
    What is the OAL of a 738 with snowblower attached. I have a 10x12 shed with the double doors on the 12í side, so I have 10í 2Ē to work with for inside demensions if I pull in straight.
    Thanks
    Two thoughts. 30 years is probably a bit of a stretch for a gasoline engine - you might want to consider one of the models which has a diesel. Even then, 30-years from today's plastic machines is anyone's guess.

A 48" deck is very narrow for a X700-sized machine. It will barely stick out on each side making getting close to obstacles for trimming a bit difficult. Make sure you test drive that configuration prior to purchase.
    TJR345, darkrt, PJR832 and 1 others like this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    09-16-2019 @ 06:08 PM
    Thanks

Man, thats a LOT of parts on that Bolens.
    My 87 Deere 318 is running a snowthrower from a 1977 312, and its original 50" deck and powerflow. Bearings in the spindles were replaced at some point about 15 years ago. It did get new bearings when I repainted it about 10 years ago. The tractor itself has had no issues, except that the old engine was neglected enough through its life before I got it (it was my grandfathers) that I had to replace it at 1150 hours, but its been going strong since. There isnt necessarily anything wrong with belt driven attachments, its more in their build quality and maintenance than anything.
    He used it on 2 acres, but only mowed and cleared snow with it. Anything big that needed done, he hired out.
    Since Ive had it, I added a 3-point and a few other attachments.
    When we bought our current place 3 years ago, I quickly realized that it wasnt big enough for our 5.5 acres in the woods.
    I still use it for snow removal in the Winter, and fairly regularly to pull my 17 cf cart, usually overloaded with logs or branches/brush. I also use it in fall to clean up leaves, and any time I need to till anything with the 30 hydraulic tiller, or run the dethatcher across the lawn, etc.
    I expect my 3 year old to be able to use it well after Im long gone. Its currently 31 years old and will fairly easily make it another 10, probably 20 no more than I use it these days.

I dont know what your plans are for your machine after you move, but in my case, I thought maybe adding a loader to the 318 would be enough, but quickly realized that this was wishful thinking.
    I now have a 2025R, and am darn glad to have it. I do not mow with it. That is left to my Exmark.
    Im certainly not saying your tractor choice is the wrong one, only you can tell that, but it might be a good idea to at least look at the 1025R, as cost wise, I dont think there is much difference. If you truly want a 30 year machine, then it would be best to plan ahead.
    Will the X7 series do what you want after you move? For that matter, would a 1025 do that?

Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    Two thoughts. 30 years is probably a bit of a stretch for a gasoline engine - you might want to consider one of the models which has a diesel. Even then, 30-years from today's plastic machines is anyone's guess.

A 48" deck is very narrow for a X700-sized machine. It will barely stick out on each side making getting close to obstacles for trimming a bit difficult. Make sure you test drive that configuration prior to purchase.
    True, but good maintenance and (in my opinion) synthetic oil will extend the life of any gas engine. Then again, it also depends on the number of hours used per week.
    3000 hours is possible, and given my 318s experience with mowing and snow removal, that would put it about 30 years worth of use, but really, thats just mowing roughly 1.5 acres of grass, occasional yard work pulling a cart, and occasional snow removal.

Agreed 100" on deck size. My Exmark is a 52". It is also like that, barely sticks out past the wheels, and that can be a pain, maybe more so with a zero turn, as rear wheels like to run into whatever you are trying to mow around. I felt like I could do better with the 50 on the 318 around flower beds, etc. Anyway, a bit larger deck is a good thing unless you have space constraints that wont allow it.
    Last edited by IndianaJim; 09-01-2018 at 12:40 PM.
    Jim B.

318, 49 Thrower, 2 80 Carts, 17AT cart, 54 Blade, 12" Brinly Plow, 30 Hydraulic Tiller w/extension & Briney 3-Pt hitch, 50 deck w/JRCO Cart Bagger.
    2025R, 120R loader w/Kens Bolt On Hooks, 260B backhoe w/8" & 16" buckets, Titan 36" forks, Imatch hitch, Weight Bracket/Hitch.

Exmark Lazer Z HP 52"
    Husqvarna 550XP, 562XP, 55 Rancher

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Today @ 12:36 AM
    Thanks
    On your over all length you might need to allow for rear weights unless you go with wheel weights. Here's a pic showing the additional length on the rear.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails X739 blades from phone 036.jpg
    Last edited by eric102; 09-01-2018 at 12:50 PM.
    fdmars, SulleyBear and PJR832 like this.
    2008 3320 -- 2014 X739

7. The Following User Says Thank You to eric102 For This Useful Post:

paintman1018†(09-28-2018)

8. Top | #5

Last Online
    09-17-2019 @ 05:48 PM
    Thanks
    A 4x4 unit with a blower shouldn’t technically need weights. I use chains and weights on the Bolens when I blow, which is 2wd. Being 4x4 and heavier, it should be fine, especially when the machine is 12” longer to start with. Wheel weights would be best due to less stress on the axles which is what I would run if needed.
    I’m good on maintenance. Im very mechanically inclined. Rebuilding farmall tractors, fabricating, engine work, etc. everyone else in my generation is a bunch of sallys and can’t turn a wrench.
    I’ve had belts blow out at the absolute best times for it to happen...not. Idler pulley’s tensioner pulleys failing at the best times too. It’s not just the belts, it’s the electric clutch pto’s that annoy me too. The Bolens I have is shaft driven, front pto clutch, with a belt that goes to a pulley on the front pto shaft then is shaft driven to the blower and the deck uses a mule drive. I just hate belts and like direct shaft driven implements.
    I’d use it for mainly property care and a large garden in the future. If I needed a bucket I’d deal with that down the road with either a compact tractor, or skid steer. I have worked the piss out of the Bolens throughout my life dragging logs, making paths, trails, towing wood trailers and even grading yards. So has my father. I know what a smaller machine can do.
    Thanks for the tips so far guys
    Last edited by Jgreen2193; 09-01-2018 at 01:54 PM.

9. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IndianaJim View Post
    True, but good maintenance and (in my opinion) synthetic oil will extend the life of any gas engine. Then again, it also depends on the number of hours used per week. 3000 hours is possible, and given my 318s experience with mowing and snow removal, that would put it about 30 years worth of use, but really, thats just mowing roughly 1.5 acres of grass, occasional yard work pulling a cart, and occasional snow removal.
    The problem is they don't build them like the 318 anymore and haven't for quite some time. My old 175 Hydro was still going strong after 25 years but it had a lot fewer plastic parts than the newer models. All one can do is take care of the machine the best you can and hope for the best.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

10. Top | #7

Last Online
    09-20-2019 @ 07:58 AM
    Thanks
    I measured my X748, blower and the quick hitch independently so I had to approximate the three together.
    The total length that I got was 10í. If no one comes up with an exact length with the three together in the next couple of days Iíll try to drag out the blower and hook everything up to give an accurate measurement. Itís close enough that that youíll need that.

I do use ballast off the back of the X748. It isnít for traction, I think there is value in having a counter balance weight wise when the blower is hanging off the front.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 96747DCE-2D70-44B9-A123-D91CB30EE6EE.jpeg
    fdmars, TJR345 and PJR832 like this.
    3320 w/ Imatch, 300CX, 375 BH, 5' box blade, b box
    X748 w/ 62C & 54C deck, 47" blower w/quick hitch
    2025R w/Imatch, R120, RC2048, 60D w/ind. lift, 54" blade w/quick hitch, Frontier grapple
    590M w/winch, maxxis, roof

11. Top | #8
    Last Online
    09-16-2019 @ 06:08 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by North585 View Post
    I measured my X748, blower and the quick hitch independently so I had to approximate the three together.
    The total length that I got was 10í. If no one comes up with an exact length with the three together in the next couple of days Iíll try to drag out the blower and hook everything up to give an accurate measurement. Itís close enough that that youíll need that.

I do use ballast off the back of the X748. It isnít for traction, I think there is value in having a counter balance weight wise when the blower is hanging off the front
    This.
    Traction isnt the issue necessarily when equipped with MFWD. The issue is overloading the front axle by not having proper ballast on the rear of the tractor. a
    Id be willing to bet that Deere lists proper ballast in the owners manual for the X7xx series just like they do the 1025, 2025, etc.
    PJR832 likes this.
    Jim B.

318, 49 Thrower, 2 80 Carts, 17AT cart, 54 Blade, 12" Brinly Plow, 30 Hydraulic Tiller w/extension & Briney 3-Pt hitch, 50 deck w/JRCO Cart Bagger.
    2025R, 120R loader w/Kens Bolt On Hooks, 260B backhoe w/8" & 16" buckets, Titan 36" forks, Imatch hitch, Weight Bracket/Hitch.

Exmark Lazer Z HP 52"
    Husqvarna 550XP, 562XP, 55 Rancher

12. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by North585 View Post

I do use ballast off the back of the X748. It isnít for traction, I think there is value in having a counter balance weight wise when the blower is hanging off the front.
    It looks like someone needs the remote spout control. :-)

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails X7_blower.jpg
    North585, PJR832 and nastorino like this.

13. Top | #10
    Last Online
    06-25-2019 @ 10:34 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    The problem is they don't build them like the 318 anymore and haven't for quite some time. My old 175 Hydro was still going strong after 25 years but it had a lot fewer plastic parts than the newer models. All one can do is take care of the machine the best you can and hope for the best.

Yep, not a chance my 2520 makes it thirty years with the kind of use OP is talking about. It's all about getting you in a NEW tractor every couple of years.
    PJR832 likes this.
    JD 2520 MCUT (SOLD)

Looking for a 3xx or 4xx restoration project (at a good price)

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast