Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: JD 54" Tractor Shovel

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    10-11-2019 @ 02:45 PM
    Thanks

JD 54" Tractor Shovel

Flame suit on - at the risk of taking a bunch of abuse about this, I'm going to ask anyway.

I've got an X738 with a 54" snow blade. I'd like to have an FEL for the X738, but cannot justify the cost of a CTC or other brand full-blown FEL for the few times a year I need to move light weights around in the garden, etc. Information on the JD 54" Tractor Shovel says it will handle up to 200 pounds, which is enough for my needs. It does appear to be a PIA to use and has some obvious limitations on height and dexterity. But again, it might work for what I need it for.

Does anyone have any experience with the JD 54" Tractor Shovel attachment for the snow blade?

Thanks in advance for any insight. And for not flaming me about a 'sissy' loader.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    09-01-2019 @ 08:55 AM
    Thanks
    Sissy shovel, hell. You get for the need. I was looking at that, and how it operated. Then I started thinking about how that clamshell could be modified. Just looking at it, and what's available with similarity, brings the fruition of the Buford Bucket. But starting with the plow blade, that's a great base for better functionality and usefulness. I watched a few videos of the clamshell affair. One guy was moving bark to the flowerbeds. IMO, the effort of going through the motions with it the way he did, he made more of a mess, and laid more tracks through the landscaping than was necessary. The guy would have been better off using a Red Ryder Wagon. My comments not reflected at you.

I say if you have a use, and it makes life easier, why not get one. To heck what others think. It's not their back taking the brunt of the work to make comment, joking aside
    2018 X739 w/54HC MMM & Mulch Kit
    54" 4-Way Plow w/Custom Mount
    Ruegg 3PH and a gaggle of implements.

TSC = The Village of Idiots

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    09-27-2019 @ 01:26 PM
    Thanks
    I have one (included with the package when I bought used tractor a couple years ago) and I think it is okay. I wish for a 45 loader occasionally but I have to say it has saved my back a few times. Here is a pic moving an oak log (~ 400 lbs. and now I have grapple I would use) and another when I moved 14,000 lbs of black dirt this spring in about 3 hours (I'd still be working on it with my wheelbarrow). Hmm not sure why flipped but you get drift.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails tractor shovel4.jpg   0927161420.jpg  

5. The Following User Says Thank You to dkarst For This Useful Post:

DWHOT (09-03-2018)

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4
    Last Online
    09-01-2019 @ 08:55 AM
    Thanks
    Click twice and the image flips back upright
    2018 X739 w/54HC MMM & Mulch Kit
    54" 4-Way Plow w/Custom Mount
    Ruegg 3PH and a gaggle of implements.

TSC = The Village of Idiots

8. Top | #5

Last Online
    09-05-2019 @ 02:51 AM
    Thanks

I have the 48" on a 590

I have the 48" on a x590.
    The good:
    - Sure beats a shovel for moving lose material
    - Will scoop lose topsoil, mulch and some process gravel (if not rained on and hard)

The bad:
    - Lift height
    - Can't lift and dump into a trailer
    - On rough terrain it will easily drag the ground.

I get topsoil one yard at a time in a 6x12' trailer. I park it on a slope so the ramp is level with the ground and trialer.
    I have probably spread 10 yards this way easy.

Would I buy again?
    Yes, meets my needs.

9. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:12 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,073 Times in 2,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mktmgrjrm View Post
    Flame suit on - at the risk of taking a bunch of abuse about this, I'm going to ask anyway......

Thanks in advance for any insight. And for not flaming me about a 'sissy' loader.

We don't do that here...

Often anyway LOL

Welcome to GTT!
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

10. Top | #7
    Last Online
    10-11-2019 @ 03:49 AM
    Thanks
    My brother & I each have a 318 & 54" blade. We wanted a loader but even building one would be a significant investment. I do CAD engineering & programming at a metal shop & we're both fairly handy mechanically so we designed & built our own scoops based on some pictures I found online.

They're definitely not a loader & have the limitations mentioned already. On the other hand, we have moved a lot of dirt with them. They sure beat a wheel barrow & the shoveling that goes along with filling one. I personally think it's also a lot of fun to go out & move snow with, but haven't needed to use it for that for a few years. To each his own, but if you have a need that it will fill I say "go for it". Good luck in whatever you decide.
    North585 and BigJim55 like this.
    2018 1025R FILB (120R, 260B), 60D MMM w/ Load-N-Go, Auto connect, Premium LED light kit & guards, Block heater, Ken's bolt on hooks, seat springs, & diff lock pedal, Heavy Hitch Toothbar, Edge Tamers & Extenders, Gremlins?

1990 318, Homemade 3pt hitch, 54 Blade w/ homemade scoop, 30 Hydraulic tiller w/ homemade 3pt mount, Homemade weight brackets

11. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:39 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuke View Post
    I have the 48" on a x590.
    The good:
    - Sure beats a shovel for moving lose material
    - Will scoop lose topsoil, mulch and some process gravel (if not rained on and hard)

The bad:
    - Lift height
    - Can't lift and dump into a trailer
    - On rough terrain it will easily drag the ground.

I get topsoil one yard at a time in a 6x12' trailer. I park it on a slope so the ramp is level with the ground and trialer.
    I have probably spread 10 yards this way easy.

Would I buy again?
    Yes, meets my needs.
    I wasn't aware this scoop feature was available for the X580/590 48" blade. Do you have more information about the clamshell attachment??

12. Top | #9

Last Online
    10-11-2019 @ 02:45 PM
    Thanks
    To close out this thread, I did purchase the JD 54" Tractor Shovel. Install was pretty straightforward and the parts all fit. If you're looking for a back-saving tool for moving loose dirt, gravel, mulch, etc. this thing isn't bad. It would be nice if it had a higher lift range, but that's limited by the Quick Hitch and the hydraulic cylinder - it's sufficient to move stuff around. It's easy to operate and doesn't take much additional effort to take on and off my X738. Capacity is a bit low, and compacted material is a bit tough to get hold of, but for what I need it works okay.
    Last edited by mktmgrjrm; 10-11-2018 at 01:14 PM.

13. Top | #10

Last Online
    10-11-2019 @ 11:56 AM
    Thanks
    I thought about it for my x738 but I would get more use out of a loader that lift higher. Besides I already have the JD 18" blade extensions on my blade for snow. I'm considering the little buck loader if need a loader.

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast