D125 clicks when turning on

Thread: D125 clicks when turning on

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    09-14-2018 @ 03:53 PM
    Thanks

D125 clicks when turning on

When turning on the d125 it just clicks. I replaced the solenoid and still clicks. I jumped it with my car and turns right on so I replaced the battery and it still clicks. Today I checked all connections and grounds and they all seem good. I jumped it again and no problem it started right up. It’s only a year and a half old. Any help with this issue it would be appreciated!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:36 PM
    Thanks
    I'd pull the connectors on the battery and clean them (and the battery posts) with a wire brush as a first step.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Thanks
    They are very clean I will try it just Incase

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:25 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,605 Times in 1,219 Posts
    Pull both of the spark plugs and see if the engine turns over freely with the starter. If so, you may have an issue with the compression release which can either be that the valve clearance needs to be set or worse case you have a problem with the compression release mechanism on the cam.

This issue is most prevalent on the single cylinder Briggs & Stratton engines but it happens sometimes with the 2-cylinder engines as well.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:36 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    Pull both of the spark plugs and see if the engine turns over freely with the starter. If so, you may have an issue with the compression release which can either be that the valve clearance needs to be set or worse case you have a problem with the compression release mechanism on the cam.

This issue is most prevalent on the single cylinder Briggs & Stratton engines but it happens sometimes with the 2-cylinder engines as well.
    Why would that sort of issue prevent a machine from starting on it's own battery but start every time when jumped from another vehicle?
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks
    I thought it may be a bad ground so I put the jumper cable from the battery to a ground and it started right up

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:20 PM
    Thanks
    Disconnect the battery and then pull the battery cable off of the starter. Clean the contacts/cable ends and posts on the starter and solenoid then try again.

Also, your test only proves that the ground side of the circuit is good. Charge the battery overnight, clean all connections, and try again. I'm saying this because if you jump the battery and the machine starts as advertised, then there is a problem at the battery end, and may just be the battery, new or not.
    Last edited by BOBL; 09-11-2018 at 04:46 PM.
    JD X738
    48" deck, 3pt hitch, 54" blade w/ full hydraulics, quick attach
    48" York rake, 56" box blade, mid row buster, dethatcher, aerator, 900lb roller
    Various Heavy Hitch adapters, ball hitch, hook, 2" sleeve hitch, etc..
    3200lb. hitch mounted winch
    Polar 1700 3/4 ton cart with side rails
    Power King 5" 15HP towable chipper

Kubota G2000S w/ 4w steering, hydraulics, 60" deck

Vietnam Veteran

10. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements