Torn between two tractors (1025R and X749) (Tractor shovel versus FEL)
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Torn between two tractors (1025R and X749) (Tractor shovel versus FEL)

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    09-07-2018 @ 10:07 AM
    Thanks

Torn between two tractors (1025R and X749) (Tractor shovel versus FEL)

Hey folks,
    I'm a city boy who bought an 18 acre property. I had logging done. The yard in front of my house is small, and there is a septic mound that is a bit steep, but can be managed. Other than that, I have 1500 feet of skid trails with grass and weeds that needs mowing. I also have a ton of tree top refuse that the loggers left behind, and a few large piles of 7-rock gravel to deal with.
    Now here's what happened. I found what looked like a really good deal on an X749 tractor. It only has 89 hours on it, and it's in pristine condition, and has a 3-bag grass catcher on it. I could stick with this tractor, but my only choice for a bucket on the front is something called a Tractor Shovel. I was thinking a FEL would be nice to have, as this hilly, wooded property will always have some fallen tree limbs and such to deal with. So I was thinking the 1025R would be nice. However, neither the 1025R or the X749 can just take off into the woods, anyway.
    This X749 has a lower center of gravity than a 1025R, that's nice. It's like a billy goat on the steeper terrain. The 4-wheel steering is nice. I don't really care about the grass catcher. The real downside to the X749 for me is the serious pain that taking off the deck would be, and the lack of a FEL. One question I have is whether the Tractor Shovel would be "good enough" for my purposes. I could move gravel with it, and probably push tree limbs out of the way, etc. It mows very nicely (62" deck). The lower center of gravity will feel better to me. On the other side, the 1025R has a drive-over deck so that I can remove it and drive in rougher areas. And the FEL is an obvious advantage. But the higher center of gravity is a downside, and it's likely to require a larger shed for storage than the X749. And it will cost more.
    I think I can make the X749 work for the skid trails; they are smoothed reasonably well. I bought the X749 thinking I could put something on the front, and at first I was disappointed to hear the choices were limited, but the John Deere 54" Tractor Shovel (LP54000) may do what I need.
    Has anyone used one of these shovels? It won't be all that a proper FEL is, but I'm wondering if it would give me what I need.
    Beyond that, what are your thoughts about the X749 versus the 1025R, for a newbie like me, and for whom the majority of jobs will be mowing.
    Thanks!
    Dave

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    09-01-2019 @ 08:55 AM
    Thanks
    It sounds like you've already determined what you need. You got it. If the brunt of the work is at a point you want it to be, The x749 is ideal. All the capabilities of the 1-Family at a lesser expense, and better over-all maneuverability. There are some nice trailers to pull around when the need arises. Get a LS Rake, Box Blade, and you're set. Get a loader for it. JD has one that will work. If not, the CTC Loader is a great addition.
    ColonyPark likes this.
    2018 X739 w/54HC MMM & Mulch Kit
    54" 4-Way Plow w/Custom Mount
    Ruegg 3PH and a gaggle of implements.

TSC = The Village of Idiots

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:38 AM
    Thanks
    The 1025 is a better tractor if you want a loader and want to use the 3pt hitch and rear pto. The X7xx is a better lawn mower and will run a front mount snowblower or broom just fine.
    Doug, Zebrafive, mike01 and 2 others like this.
    Eric

2011 1026R / H120 / 60D auto-connect, independent-lift mmm / 54" snowblower / 4' KK Pro rotary mower / KK 4' tiller

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    09-07-2018 @ 10:07 AM
    Thanks
    Thanks a bunch. As I understand it, JD does not make a loader for the X749; they only make a blade and then a shovel that can be mounted off that. You mentioned a CTC loader? I'd like to learn more about that. What is CTC? (I'm a newbie).
    THanks
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Boonie View Post
    It sounds like you've already determined what you need. You got it. If the brunt of the work is at a point you want it to be, The x749 is ideal. All the capabilities of the 1-Family at a lesser expense, and better over-all maneuverability. There are some nice trailers to pull around when the need arises. Get a LS Rake, Box Blade, and you're set. Get a loader for it. JD has one that will work. If not, the CTC Loader is a great addition.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    09-01-2019 @ 08:55 AM
    Thanks
    From my take on the loader, the JD-45 loader will fit. You just need to find one for sale. CTC is another option. My previous post, the bold green is a link. Click it.
    I'm sure others with more knowledge will get in here to help you out more than I can. I don't have a loader on mine. Yet.
    Here's a direct link. https://compacttractorandcomponents.com/loaders.htm
    Last edited by Boonie; 09-06-2018 at 04:24 PM.
    2018 X739 w/54HC MMM & Mulch Kit
    54" 4-Way Plow w/Custom Mount
    Ruegg 3PH and a gaggle of implements.

TSC = The Village of Idiots

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:42 AM
    Thanks
    I had an x748 and traded it in on a 1025R in 2013 because I wanted more than a big lawn mower. Not to say a X7xxx can't do more, but anything a X7xx can do, the 1025R will do better and the 1025R can do so much more, with the correct attachments of course.

It sounds to me like you are going to be needing a FEL at least. The 1025R is allot more tractor than the X7xxx series.

With the acreage that you have and what you plan to do, I think you will be disappointed with anything less than a 1025R, although, it is your decision.
    etcallhome, MowJoe, Big and 2 others like this.
    JD 1025 TLB (2013) ** 60D 7 Iron MMM w/auto-connect ** H120 FEL** 260 BH ** 54" snowblower ** 54" blade ** 52" Front Broom ** Ken's Bolt on Hooks ** Frontier BB2048L box scraper ** County Line 5' landscape rake ** JD Hydraulic Dump MCS ** Artillian Forks w/36" Forks ** JD 3 - Point Ballast Box ** JD I-Match Quick Hitch ** Heavy Hitch front Weight Bar ** Heavy Hitch 3 Point Weight Bar ** Fimco 40 Gallon Sprayer ** EA Aerator ** FitRite Hydraulics Rear SCV ** 12 - 40# suitcase weights

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    09-01-2019 @ 06:31 PM
    Thanks
    The X749 is a great lawn tractor and was my 1st tractor. It mows the best of the two.
    However with 18 acres I really think you would like the 1025R better, that was my second JD.

With that kind of acerage you might well be like me and wish you had the FEL and 3pt. The 1025r would be fine on the hills properly outfitted.

The two tractors are very close to being the same size but with accessories the 1025R will take a larger shed.

YOu will find that people on this site are very knowledgeable, helpful and ready to help spend your .

The general feeling on this site is that BIGGER is BETTER

Welcome to GTT and enjoy your JD
    Zebrafive likes this.
    2016 2032R W/ H130 FEL 61" BUCKET AND 62D MMM, 2013 1025R, FEL, 60" 7 IRON DECK, KEN'S BOLT ON HOOKS, 54" BOX BLADE, ARTILLIAN PALLET FORKS , FRONT HITCH AND FRONT PLOW SETUP, TSC REAR HITCH, IMATCH HITCH, 60 GAL 3PT SPRAYER, AND LOTS OF OTHER ITEMS ON MY LIST:

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    09-08-2019 @ 09:13 AM
    Thanks
    I have a X729 and tractor shovel (below) so the same as you are looking at without diesel. JD doesn't support a 45 loader on the AWS tractors but people have found ways to mount them and they work fine. Other folks have weighed in on +/- so I'll just add one item sometimes forgotten. The ground clearance of the AWS tractors is less than the AWD-only models due to the ties rods etc. going underneath near the rear differential. I had to drag a burl out of woods earlier this spring and I had some junk to go through/over and was worried about hanging up and doing some damage to the AWS linkages. I made it okay but thought I would mention this.

If you're moving logs, I really love the grapple below.

I guess it depends on how much "rough" work you plan on doing. If you're off bushwhacking through a trail with lots of stuff, the X749 may not be the machine. I love mine though.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails tractor shovel4.jpg   Grapple on maple.jpg  
    North585, ColonyPark, Big and 2 others like this.

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    06-25-2019 @ 10:34 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DWHOT View Post
    The X749 is a great lawn tractor and was my 1st tractor. It mows the best of the two.
    However with 18 acres I really think you would like the 1025R better, that was my second JD.

With that kind of acerage you might well be like me and wish you had the FEL and 3pt. The 1025r would be fine on the hills properly outfitted.

The two tractors are very close to being the same size but with accessories the 1025R will take a larger shed.

YOu will find that people on this site are very knowledgeable, helpful and ready to help spend your .

The general feeling on this site is that BIGGER is BETTER

Welcome to GTT and enjoy your JD

Yep.

The number of folks like me considering downsizing are few and far in-between.

I suspect I'll end up with a much older 3-4 series sized "toy", and a homeowner's ZT eventually.
    Last edited by firemachine69; 09-06-2018 at 07:34 PM.
    JD 2520 MCUT (SOLD)

Looking for a 3xx or 4xx restoration project (at a good price)

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:24 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DJCummins99 View Post
    Hey folks,
    I'm a city boy who bought an 18 acre property. I had logging done. The yard in front of my house is small, and there is a septic mound that is a bit steep, but can be managed. Other than that, I have 1500 feet of skid trails with grass and weeds that needs mowing. I also have a ton of tree top refuse that the loggers left behind, and a few large piles of 7-rock gravel to deal with.
    Now here's what happened. I found what looked like a really good deal on an X749 tractor. It only has 89 hours on it, and it's in pristine condition, and has a 3-bag grass catcher on it. I could stick with this tractor, but my only choice for a bucket on the front is something called a Tractor Shovel. I was thinking a FEL would be nice to have, as this hilly, wooded property will always have some fallen tree limbs and such to deal with. So I was thinking the 1025R would be nice. However, neither the 1025R or the X749 can just take off into the woods, anyway.
    This X749 has a lower center of gravity than a 1025R, that's nice. It's like a billy goat on the steeper terrain. The 4-wheel steering is nice. I don't really care about the grass catcher. The real downside to the X749 for me is the serious pain that taking off the deck would be, and the lack of a FEL. One question I have is whether the Tractor Shovel would be "good enough" for my purposes. I could move gravel with it, and probably push tree limbs out of the way, etc. It mows very nicely (62" deck). The lower center of gravity will feel better to me. On the other side, the 1025R has a drive-over deck so that I can remove it and drive in rougher areas. And the FEL is an obvious advantage. But the higher center of gravity is a downside, and it's likely to require a larger shed for storage than the X749. And it will cost more.
    I think I can make the X749 work for the skid trails; they are smoothed reasonably well. I bought the X749 thinking I could put something on the front, and at first I was disappointed to hear the choices were limited, but the John Deere 54" Tractor Shovel (LP54000) may do what I need.
    Has anyone used one of these shovels? It won't be all that a proper FEL is, but I'm wondering if it would give me what I need.
    Beyond that, what are your thoughts about the X749 versus the 1025R, for a newbie like me, and for whom the majority of jobs will be mowing.
    Thanks!
    Dave
    The 1025r has ton of different attachments a much more versatile machine for the long term. I cn see you in the future in need of a backhoe and a grapple both the 1025 can handle with ease.
    Drifterbike likes this.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast