Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: 2018 X590 RIO bypass

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    09-02-2019 @ 08:03 PM
    Thanks

2018 X590 RIO bypass

I did the reverse implement option (RIO) bypass the other day. Many have done it and it's very simple. In all about a two minute step. The longest part of preparation was making the wire jumper.

I used a piece of 14 gauge wire with male spades crimped at each end.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rio 3.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	820.8 KB 
ID:	648450

I then disconnected the wire harness from the bottom of the RIO switch found on the left side of the dash. Open the hood and just pull the harness plug away from the switch.

Name:	rio 2.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	917.6 KB 
ID:	648452

Then I just slip the spade ends of my jumper wire into the female end of the wire harness that is removed from the base of the switch.

Name:	RIO 1.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	1,003.9 KB 
ID:	648454

Once I completed that I just pushed/placed the harness assembly back under the dash area and zip tied it off to something to keep it from moving around necessarily. Gave it a test and the mower conituned to run when going in reverse, no warning light thrown. Easy to convert back in a pinch if you were dropping your tractor off for warranty work. Not that it would necessarily matter anyway.
    darkrt and Herminator like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    ean

Last Online
    Today @ 07:28 AM
    Thanks
    I just got my first lawn tractor (x584). Will this RIO bypass be the same for the x584 or any x500 series as what you did?

Thanks!
    Herminator likes this.

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Thanks
    Not familiar with every model and their configuration but yes it should be. Your goal to to bypass the RIO switch and create a bridge with the jumper wire to fool the tractor in thinking the switch is depressed or engaged.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    09-08-2019 @ 08:30 PM
    Thanks
    Exactly how I did my 590. Has anyone did an X540? I haven't figured that one out yet.
    "It's not how fast you mow, it's how well you mow fast"

X590
    X540

7. Top | #5
    ean

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cms1528 View Post
    Not familiar with every model and their configuration but yes it should be. Your goal to to bypass the RIO switch and create a bridge with the jumper wire to fool the tractor in thinking the switch is depressed or engaged.
    Just finished mowing. It worked on my x584 just like yours. Really simple modification.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:30 PM
    Thanks
    Well if You ever take it In for service The dealership may put it Back to working condition. A friend of Mine is a Deere Mechanic at a dealer every time a tractor come in with a bypass he is Mandated by the dealership to put it back into operating condition I have to Laugh at that because some Poor Guy had his bypass fixed at least 3 times on his X739
    John Deere Models: 2025RTLB(Gen 2),X748,GX335,140H3,112SF,110RF,Sabre 1542,TX Gator
    Cub Cadet Models:0riginal,70,106,XT3GSX & Experimental Non Production Rear engine rider
    Ingersoll Model:3016PS
    Simplicity Models:Wonder Boy
    White Model: GT2055

MSGT 11 & 18 Series Retired

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:42 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,579 Times in 1,200 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sergeant View Post
    Well if You ever take it In for service The dealership may put it Back to working condition. A friend of Mine is a Deere Mechanic at a dealer every time a tractor come in with a bypass he is Mandated by the dealership to put it back into operating condition I have to Laugh at that because some Poor Guy had his bypass fixed at least 3 times on his X739
    That is correct. And they will charge you to do it. That's why it is always preferable to mod in such a way that it can be easily removed in the event a trip to the dealer is required.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

10. Top | #8
    ean

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    That is correct. And they will charge you to do it. That's why it is always preferable to mod in such a way that it can be easily removed in the event a trip to the dealer is required.
    Pretty simple to remove. Open hood, pull out jumper, push wiring harness back into rio switch, close cover. Just have to remember to do it if it needs to go in!

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:42 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,579 Times in 1,200 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ean View Post
    Pretty simple to remove. Open hood, pull out jumper, push wiring harness back into rio switch, close cover. Just have to remember to do it if it needs to go in!
    Even if you forget it's not something they are likely to burn you on to pull the wire. But some folks cut and splice wires or remove interlock switches and it can be costly for the dealer to restore functionality.
    darkrt likes this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sergeant View Post
    Well if You ever take it In for service The dealership may put it Back to working condition. A friend of Mine is a Deere Mechanic at a dealer every time a tractor come in with a bypass he is Mandated by the dealership to put it back into operating condition
    Well, no matter what, repairs made to my tractor by a dealer that I did not authorize aren't going to be paid for. I would like to see this "mandate" that JD has that requires techs to return or change something a customer did to THEIR vehicle.

If my tractor was in for warranty work and as long as any changes or additions I made are not directly related to the problem I brought it on for, they have zero right to make any unapproved changes to my tractor. Read up on the magnuson-moss warranty act.

I hope mine tone of writing isn't being taken personal, it is a reflection of any company telling me how's it's going to be without that authority in the first place.
    Last edited by cms1528; 09-18-2018 at 01:14 PM.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast