Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Stuttering John Deere D140

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    10-01-2018 @ 12:56 PM
    Thanks

Stuttering John Deere D140

Hello Everyone - First post here - I will search the forums to see if this has already been addressed.

I have a D140 Mower which I purchased with just 8 hours on it.

When driving the mower I noticed that it seems to run the cleanest at full throttle. Below the notch, it seems to stutter or oscillate. The only thing I noticed was the air filter was filthy so I ordered a tune up kit and changed the air filter, fuel pump and fuel filter. Seems to run better but still cleanest at full throttle. Also - I was under the impression that it sat for some time so I drained the fuel cell and replaced it with new fuel.

Is this the norm for this machine? Or is there something else I should check?

EDIT: I did also check the plugs - both are firing just fine.

I did just read that this mower likes higher octane fuel... could be my next item to try.
    Last edited by PhrogGuy46; 09-17-2018 at 07:42 PM.
    Catfishin likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:56 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PhrogGuy46 View Post
    Hello Everyone - First post here - I will search the forums to see if this has already been addressed.

I have a D140 Mower which I purchased with just 8 hours on it.

When driving the mower I noticed that it seems to run the cleanest at full throttle. Below the notch, it seems to stutter or oscillate. The only thing I noticed was the air filter was filthy so I ordered a tune up kit and changed the air filter, fuel pump and fuel filter. Seems to run better but still cleanest at full throttle. Also - I was under the impression that it sat for some time so I drained the fuel cell and replaced it with new fuel.

Is this the norm for this machine? Or is there something else I should check?

EDIT: I did also check the plugs - both are firing just fine.

I did just read that this mower likes higher octane fuel... could be my next item to try.
    Not normal for the engine to surge at any throttle setting. Sometimew they surge when first started but will straighten out. I suspect something in the carb is causing this. Also there were issues with the fuel pick up being too long and it would be on the bottom of the tank.

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:28 PM
    Thanks
    8 hours of run time and the air filter is filthy? That sounds, uh, not normal to me. If it sat for a while, maybe a critter got into the air filter? Either way, the surging to me says that the carb needs to be cleaned.
    2016 1025R TLB (Marshawn) with Piranha tooth bar
    HLA 42" Forks
    Frontier LR2060L Landscape rake
    2019 X370 mowing machine with snowblower attachment
    County Line 3 point log splitter (Mr. Splitty)
    Cyclone Rake super sucker
    Stihl MS-271 chain saw
    Stihl KM-56 Kombi powerhead, string trimmer, pole saw, articulating hedge trimmer
    Stihl BR430 backpack blower
    1998 Yamaha 4-stroke golf car (Tedy Bruschi)

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by WifeSaidOK View Post
    8 hours of run time and the air filter is filthy? That sounds, uh, not normal to me. If it sat for a while, maybe a critter got into the air filter? Either way, the surging to me says that the carb needs to be cleaned.

I have no doubt that it was 8 hard hours... it came back to my local Lowes with a broken spindle and I picked it up needing repair for under $500 - I could not pass it up. I can sink a grand into it and I'll still be well ahead. Fortunately I can do most repairs myself.

Today I purchased some stabilizer with fuel injector cleaner and I'm already seeing a world of difference in how it runs. Which leads me to my next question:

I may not completely understand the throttle positions on this mower. The lever has decals to the left and right (image attached) The left shows the mower power run up and what appears to be the cutting position at the top. The right image shows power running up to the detent and the choke at the top of the throttle position. It seems that the mower runs best at the full throttle - holds idle no problem now and the choke is actually at the detent? Is that right? I can't find any refernce to it in the manual and my old 110 had 2 seperate levers for choke and throttle... can someone confirm this for me? Gracias!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails throttle.jpg
    Last edited by PhrogGuy46; 09-18-2018 at 05:24 PM.

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by xcopterdoc View Post
    Not normal for the engine to surge at any throttle setting. Sometimew they surge when first started but will straighten out. I suspect something in the carb is causing this. Also there were issues with the fuel pick up being too long and it would be on the bottom of the tank.

Thank you for the info... I think I took care of the issue with some stabilizer but if it continues - the carb and pick up is where I'll focus next.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:56 PM
    Thanks
    The high throttle position is at the detent.. Any further north of that and yur adding choke. No idea why they put a symbol for cutting so high up. Just run it at the detent. Nice price by the way.
    I have no doubt that it was 8 hard hours... it came back to my local Lowes with a broken spindle and I picked it up needing repair for under $500 - I could not pass it up. I can sink a grand into it and I'll still be well ahead. Fortunately I can do most repairs myself.

Today I purchased some stabilizer with fuel injector cleaner and I'm already seeing a world of difference in how it runs. Which leads me to my next question:

I may not completely understand the throttle positions on this mower. The lever has decals to the left and right (image attached) The left shows the mower power run up and what appears to be the cutting position at the top. The right image shows power running up to the detent and the choke at the top of the throttle position. It seems that the mower runs best at the full throttle - holds idle no problem now and the choke is actually at the detent? Is that right? I can't find any refernce to it in the manual and my old 110 had 2 seperate levers for choke and throttle... can someone confirm this for me? Gracias!

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by xcopterdoc View Post
    The high throttle position is at the detent.. Any further north of that and yur adding choke. No idea why they put a symbol for cutting so high up. Just run it at the detent. Nice price by the way.

Thanks for the reply... looks like I don't have my problem solved then because it runs bad at the detent.

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:24 AM
    Thanks
    It actually sounds as if there could be some water at the low point in the tank or fuel bowl. However, that would cause a sputtering and rough running engine. It wouldn't hurt to pour a 1/2 bottle of rubbing alcohol (70%) into the tank. That will mix with any water and eventually push it through. The alcohol mixes with the water.

The surging is usually due to only a few things. High speed surging is a clear indication of a carb that's running too lean, and easy enough to fix. Surge at all speeds is usually an indication of a poorly adjusted governor.

Try richening the mixture, see what that does, and work from there.
    PhrogGuy46 likes this.
    JD X738
    48" deck, 3pt hitch, 54" blade w/ full hydraulics, quick attach
    48" York rake, 56" box blade, mid row buster, dethatcher, aerator, 900lb roller
    Various Heavy Hitch adapters, ball hitch, hook, 2" sleeve hitch, etc..
    3200lb. hitch mounted winch
    Polar 1700 3/4 ton cart with side rails
    Power King 5" 15HP towable chipper

Kubota G2000S w/ 4w steering, hydraulics, 60" deck

Vietnam Veteran

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BOBL View Post
    It actually sounds as if there could be some water at the low point in the tank or fuel bowl. However, that would cause a sputtering and rough running engine. It wouldn't hurt to pour a 1/2 bottle of rubbing alcohol (70%) into the tank. That will mix with any water and eventually push it through. The alcohol mixes with the water.

The surging is usually due to only a few things. High speed surging is a clear indication of a carb that's running too lean, and easy enough to fix. Surge at all speeds is usually an indication of a poorly adjusted governor.

Try richening the mixture, see what that does, and work from there.

Thanks for the input. Today after adding the stabilizer I drove it for 20 minutes or so. It felt smooth at the lower end of the throttle and all the way up past the detent. The surge hits at the detent which I'm told is the fast / run position prior to choke. Looks like I'll need to look into the fix for the carb running too lean. At the same time I don't want to chase issues or create new ones. Should I drive this tank full of stabilizer through it first?

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:24 AM
    Thanks
    Thanks for the input. Today after adding the stabilizer I drove it for 20 minutes or so. It felt smooth at the lower end of the throttle and all the way up past the detent. The surge hits at the detent which I'm told is the fast / run position prior to choke. Looks like I'll need to look into the fix for the carb running too lean. At the same time I don't want to chase issues or create new ones. Should I drive this tank full of stabilizer through it first?
    I would drive the tank to empty, but I would also put in the alcohol.
    PhrogGuy46 likes this.
    JD X738
    48" deck, 3pt hitch, 54" blade w/ full hydraulics, quick attach
    48" York rake, 56" box blade, mid row buster, dethatcher, aerator, 900lb roller
    Various Heavy Hitch adapters, ball hitch, hook, 2" sleeve hitch, etc..
    3200lb. hitch mounted winch
    Polar 1700 3/4 ton cart with side rails
    Power King 5" 15HP towable chipper

Kubota G2000S w/ 4w steering, hydraulics, 60" deck

Vietnam Veteran

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast