Will John Deere's Halogen Upgrade kit fit my X570?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Will John Deere's Halogen Upgrade kit fit my X570?

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    06-17-2019 @ 05:21 AM
    Thanks

Will John Deere's Halogen Upgrade kit fit my X570?

I'm looking to upgrade the headlights on my new x570 in preparation for snowblowing duty this coming winter. I was reading quite a bit about LED bulb replacement and then I came across an upgrade kit from John Deere (Halogen Headlight Kit - BM21289) which more than doubles the candlepower of the stock headlights. I'm assuming they will work with my X570 but does anyone have any actual experience with that setup?

-Dan

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:16 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,610 Times in 1,223 Posts
    Hmmm... my gut tells me that in this age of bright LED lights it seems silly to mess around with high wattage halogen bulbs. I see some sites show them as fitting the X500-series but the instructions don't mention that model. It seems to be an older kit. I have attached a PDF copy of the installation instructions.

The fact that it needs a shield to keep from melting the plastic would cause me concern. Also, since the tractor doesn't have a mirror like reflector the amount of light gained would be limited.

I recently saw a thread talking about a direct LED replacement that folks seemed to be happy with. It had a projector lens in front and relied less on the reflector in the hood. It might be worth checking out. Those LED bulbs cost less than this halogen kit.

[Edit: for some reason it won't let me attach the PDF]
    Last edited by jgayman; 09-19-2018 at 10:03 AM.
    IndianaJim likes this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Thanks
    [QUOTE=jgayman;3090664]Hmmm... my gut tells me that in this age of bright LED lights it seems silly to mess around with high wattage halogen bulbs. I see some sites show them as fitting the X500-series but the instructions don't mention that model. It seems to be an older kit. I have attached a PDF copy of the installation instructions.

The fact that it needs a shield to keep from melting the plastic would cause me concern. Also, since the tractor doesn't have a mirror like reflector the amount of light gained would be limited.

I recently saw a thread talking about a direct LED replacement that folks seemed to be happy with. It had a projector lens in front and relied less on the reflector in the hood. It might be worth checking out. Those LED bulbs cost less than this halogen kit.

Thanks for trying with the PDF of the instructions, I've already downloaded a copy and compared the drawings to the headlights on my tractor.

I guess the reason I'm considering the halogens over the LEDs is because of the 75 vs. 32 candlepower difference. The photos taken to show the difference in brightness with the LEDs just didn't convince me- the color of the light given off was whiter but it didn't look like they reached out any further than the stock bulbs.

-Dan

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Danh4 View Post
    I guess the reason I'm considering the halogens over the LEDs is because of the 75 vs. 32 candlepower difference. The photos taken to show the difference in brightness with the LEDs just didn't convince me- the color of the light given off was whiter but it didn't look like they reached out any further than the stock bulbs.

-Dan
    If you are planning to use a snow blower this winter I would forget the headlights completely and get yourself a pair of inexpensive LED work lights and mount them directly to the snow blower housing either with bolts or magnetic mounts as many have done. They will be 10X brighter than the headlights.

Most of your headlight illumination is just going to light up the back of the blower housing. You need something farther forward and a bit higher.

Strong magnetic mounts work well as it allows you to easily reposition the lights as needed and at the end of the season you just pull them off and put them away.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails led_worklight.jpg  
    North585 and fdmars like this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    If you are planning to use a snow blower this winter I would forget the headlights completely and get yourself a pair of inexpensive LED work lights and mount them directly to the snow blower housing either with bolts or magnetic mounts as many have done. They will be 10X brighter than the headlights.

Most of your headlight illumination is just going to light up the back of the blower housing. You need something farther forward and a bit higher.

Strong magnetic mounts work well as it allows you to easily reposition the lights as needed and at the end of the season you just pull them off and put them away.
    That's not a bad idea at all, I just took a quick look at Amazon and found something that looks like it will work. The magnetic base and cig. lighter power cord means I can add it to my tractor and use it for other things as well. I wonder if I can get a splitter for the power port on my tractor and have two plugged in?

LEMIL 48W 5D Lens LED Work Light 12V Spot Light Driving Fog Light Off Road Spot Beam Lamp Boat Light with Magnetic Base Waterproof Emergency Light for Truck SUV 12V 24V Searchlight - - Amazon.com

Looks like there are splitters available. I'll need to figure out if the tractor's electrical system can handle the load.

Amazon.com: CUZEC 1 to 2 Car Cigarette Lighter 16 AWG Cord 12v/24v Car Cigarette Lighter Splitter, Power Charger Adapter 2-Way Waterproof Socket Splitter: Automotive
    Last edited by Danh4; 09-19-2018 at 12:57 PM. Reason: Added splitter info

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 04:59 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    Hmmm... my gut tells me that in this age of bright LED lights it seems silly to mess around with high wattage halogen bulbs. I see some sites show them as fitting the X500-series but the instructions don't mention that model. It seems to be an older kit. I have attached a PDF copy of the installation instructions.

[Edit: for some reason it won't let me attach the PDF]
    It may be the same thread, but I never saw any decent shots from the seat of those replacements.

Im sort of (ok, no sort of to it) a flashlight nut, and have been playing with LEDs for quite a long time now. I dont build anything, just learn why things work the way they do with regard to actual output, beam shape, throw, etc.
    What Ive learned is that for an LED to work properly, it must have its own specific reflector. Putting an LED bulb in a housing meant for an incandescent bulb never turns out too well.
    Sure they look impressive from the front, but actual performance is never as good as the original.
    That said, if those replacements do actually have their own lens or reflector assembly, they should work ok.

What surprises me most these days is that for things like tractors, why havent manufacturers gone to LED lighting? Deere offers options for the work lights on the 1 series and up, but thats just more out of pocket for those upgrading, and you get no credit for the lights already on the tractor.
    Of course some LEDs are harsh too, and I much prefer them in the 5000K range instead of the higher range of most lights these days, and maybe thats why they havent done it yet.

I also agree that if the OP wants better output for Winter use, dedicated work lights are going to do the most good.
    jgayman likes this.
    Jim B.

318, 49 Thrower, 2 80 Carts, 17AT cart, 54 Blade, 12" Brinly Plow, 30 Hydraulic Tiller w/extension & Briney 3-Pt hitch, 50 deck w/JRCO Cart Bagger.
    2025R, 120R loader w/Kens Bolt On Hooks, 260B backhoe w/8" & 16" buckets, Titan 36" forks, Imatch hitch, Weight Bracket/Hitch.

Exmark Lazer Z HP 52"
    Husqvarna 550XP, 562XP, 55 Rancher

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Danh4 View Post
    Looks like there are splitters available. I'll need to figure out if the tractor's electrical system can handle the load.
    As long as you stay below what the power port is fused at you should be fine. I checked the operator's manual and there is no mention of the capacity of the power port.

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:28 PM
    Thanks
    I would steer well away from any halogen headlight, regardless of brightness. Halogens generate tremendous heat, don't last as long as you may think, and are very costly to begin with.

A good number of us have gone to the lights at the link below. It took me less than 5 minutes to put them into my X580, and they're much brighter than expected. These lights are the equal to my high beams on my truck, and cheap enough that I bought two pair for a grand total of less than $40.

X590 Headlight LED upgrade
    darkrt likes this.
    JD X738
    48" deck, 3pt hitch, 54" blade w/ full hydraulics, quick attach
    48" York rake, 56" box blade, mid row buster, dethatcher, aerator, 900lb roller
    Various Heavy Hitch adapters, ball hitch, hook, 2" sleeve hitch, etc..
    3200lb. hitch mounted winch
    Polar 1700 3/4 ton cart with side rails
    Power King 5" 15HP towable chipper

Kubota G2000S w/ 4w steering, hydraulics, 60" deck

Vietnam Veteran

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 04:59 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BOBL View Post
    I would steer well away from any halogen headlight, regardless of brightness. Halogens generate tremendous heat, don't last as long as you may think, and are very costly to begin with.

A good number of us have gone to the lights at the link below. It took me less than 5 minutes to put them into my X580, and they're much brighter than expected. These lights are the equal to my high beams on my truck, and cheap enough that I bought two pair for a grand total of less than $40.

X590 Headlight LED upgrade

I didnt realize the bulb type used.

Certainly stay away from halogens. For one, as mentioned, they generate a ton of heat. Two, all that heat is from the light output, which is nice, except that it also draws a LOT more power than the standard 1156 bulb.
    Thats the same bulb I have in the 318, and have been through SEVERAL different bulb types in search of more output.
    Id say the stock setup on the X tractor is way better than a number of upgrades Ive tried on the 318.

Looks like Ill need to give these LED bulbs a shot though, as they look to have a lens on the end which should do wonders for actual output!

Incidentally, there is a guy who made LED bulbs specifically for the old 318 and similar 3 bulb setups, and they are nothing short of amazing. They are just a hair over $100 last time I looked, but everyone who has tried them swears by them.
    Just looked...they are less than $100 now. I may just have to order a set!

Anyway, this is the guys site.
    Tractor LEDs Home
    Jim B.

318, 49 Thrower, 2 80 Carts, 17AT cart, 54 Blade, 12" Brinly Plow, 30 Hydraulic Tiller w/extension & Briney 3-Pt hitch, 50 deck w/JRCO Cart Bagger.
    2025R, 120R loader w/Kens Bolt On Hooks, 260B backhoe w/8" & 16" buckets, Titan 36" forks, Imatch hitch, Weight Bracket/Hitch.

Exmark Lazer Z HP 52"
    Husqvarna 550XP, 562XP, 55 Rancher

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:28 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IndianaJim View Post
    I didnt realize the bulb type used.

Certainly stay away from halogens. For one, as mentioned, they generate a ton of heat. Two, all that heat is from the light output, which is nice, except that it also draws a LOT more power than the standard 1156 bulb.
    Thats the same bulb I have in the 318, and have been through SEVERAL different bulb types in search of more output.
    Id say the stock setup on the X tractor is way better than a number of upgrades Ive tried on the 318.

Looks like Ill need to give these LED bulbs a shot though, as they look to have a lens on the end which should do wonders for actual output!

Incidentally, there is a guy who made LED bulbs specifically for the old 318 and similar 3 bulb setups, and they are nothing short of amazing. They are just a hair over $100 last time I looked, but everyone who has tried them swears by them.
    Just looked...they are less than $100 now. I may just have to order a set!

Anyway, this is the guys site.
    Tractor LEDs Home

Good looking made in the USA work on the bulbs at the link, but by comparison to his pictures of the lights working at night I'll have to say that the bulbs we bought for far less are equal to or better. I'm not a fan of Chinese goods, far from it, but this is one case where common sense dictates the final decision. I bought 4ea (they sell in pairs) for just over $40. If I was going to spot deer I would probably have to use my tractor. (joking)

My son in law is a Sr. design engineer for a world wide lighting company, and very good at his job. I've given one of the bulbs to him to test.
    JD X738
    48" deck, 3pt hitch, 54" blade w/ full hydraulics, quick attach
    48" York rake, 56" box blade, mid row buster, dethatcher, aerator, 900lb roller
    Various Heavy Hitch adapters, ball hitch, hook, 2" sleeve hitch, etc..
    3200lb. hitch mounted winch
    Polar 1700 3/4 ton cart with side rails
    Power King 5" 15HP towable chipper

Kubota G2000S w/ 4w steering, hydraulics, 60" deck

Vietnam Veteran

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast