Like Tree24Likes

Thread: X300 PTO and 44" snow blower Problem

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    04-23-2015 @ 02:06 PM
    Thanks

Question X300 PTO and 44" snow blower Problem

Goodday all,

Isn't it always the way? New folks show up (like me) on the forum, and their first post (like mine) is always a problem they're having with their XXXX tractor, and the XXX belt or the XYZ attachment.

I'll try to break part of that mold...at least I'll introduce myself first!

Hi, my nickname is Navyshooter, it's been 2 hours since I last turned a wrench on my X300....oh, wrong meeting.

Anyhow, introduction...I live in the Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada, area, (just outside town), am a sailor in the Royal Canadian Navy, about half-way through my 23rd year of service. By trade, I'm an Electronics Technician (SONAR) but 2 years ago they promoted me away from the toolbox and into a keyboard (and probably a case of Carpal Tunnel...LOL) I have a background with machining, and have a basic lathe/mill that are currently awaiting re-assembly in my garage/shop, pending another shore posting so I have some time! I'm currently crew on a frigate, and about to head off to sea for Work-Ups this coming week.

What do I have?

I bought a brand-new X-300 with 42" deck and got the 44" snowblower as well.

They delivered it all for me, and I pieced it together. Mower worked fine.

I put on the snow-blower, but made a mistake in assembly, and put the v-belt in backwards, so the flat was into the "v"....so that demolished the belt, and last week it started hopping off the pulleys and gumming up. There was little shards of rubber everywhere.

I got a replacement belt, (not OEM, they had no stock!) but the replacement seems to fit....except that it keeps hopping off the PTO pulley.

I don't know what's wrong, I've got a mountain of snow in the driveway (more coming on Tuesday) and I want to try and fix this before I head to sea on Tuesday!

Is there anything I should be looking for or at which might be tossing the belt off?

I'm open for any ideas!

Thanks,

NS
    RetiredCarGuy likes this.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to NavyShooter For This Useful Post:

RandyM(02-07-2015)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

4. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:04 AM
    Thanks
    Navyshooter,

Inspect very carefully for melted bits of rubber from the destroyed belt stuck on the surface of the pulley, as any rough spot on the pulley groove will make it easier to throw a belt.

Most members will tell you that only Deere belts should be used. V belts have angles that are meant to work best with the groove on the pulley, and Deere belts and pulleys are a bit different than the off-the-shelf type...most generic belts are 40 degree and the Deere ones are 34 degrees, I believe. Try a real Deere belt.

Chuck
    Last edited by Chuckv; 02-07-2015 at 09:36 PM.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chuckv For This Useful Post:

BigJim55(02-09-2015), Drifterbike(12-05-2016)

6. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:05 AM
    Thanks
    I go along with checkv use OEM belts, the v angle and the length make a big difference.

Doug
    2010 John Deere 2305
    200cx loader
    iMatch
    Ballast Box
    Frontier 1048 Box Blade
    Frontier 1060L Landscape Rake
    Artillian Forks
    54 MM Mower
    54 Front Blade w/Artillian Wings
    54 Front Blower
    Humbolt 3-Bag 12 Bushel PTO Grass Catcher

7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

8. Top | #4
    Last Online
    06-28-2019 @ 11:07 PM
    Thanks
    Welcome to the Forum, NavyShooter!!!
    "Is there
    anything I should be looking for or at which might be tossing the belt off?"

With a new belt on the pulley system, check to see that it is aligned correctly. This means all the pullies/idlers are running the belt in the center from one to the next. It may be that the dealer set it up and did not do the alignment check. I would have someone sit in the seat, idle the engine and engage the PTO while you look around underneath (with hands behind your back!). If your machine is set up like a GX335, most likely the 180 idler "GUARDS" are jamming the belt because of poor alignment. Also check the belt tension as per the manual. If it is low on tension it will jump around all along the belt's route. You should have a manual with the blower and you will find the set-up instructions/pictures for some guidance.

I would bet someone with better knowledge of your specific machine will be along to better answer, but certainly start with the above. GOOD LUCK with that snow coming!!

Again, welcome to the Forum!!
    2013(12) 1026r TLB 54 QH front blade, 54D Auto Connect deck, ballast box, carryall

'04 GX335, 48C, Johnny Bucket Jr., PowerFlow W/7bu. bagger, 42 snow blower, 48 Plow, JD front dethatcher, 10 Cart, Little-Brown Henway, Stihl 026P/20", Stihl 241/16", Stihl BG 85 blower, Stihl KombiMotor 110 w/string trimmer/brush cutter/edger/pole saw/hedge trimmer, Snapper 21" WB, Snapper 8/24 snow blower

"...and visions of green CUT sugarplums dance in his head..."

NRA Life Member

9. Top | #5
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:28 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,895 Times in 2,871 Posts
    Problems is why GTT is here NavyShooter. Welcome to GTT.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD, The Wife
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

10. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks
    Ship sails first thing Tuesday, and it looks like my wife will be able to pick up the belt tomorrow from the JD Dealer.

If so, I'll come home to install, setup, test, have supper with the family, then back into the ship overnight so I don't get storm-stayed at home. Missing a warship under sailing orders is a *bad thing*

I was actually pondering going in tonight even!

Ah well, I'll try to snap some pictures of the process and share it when I have time.

Thanks for the input all!

NS
    HydroHarold likes this.

11. Top | #7

Last Online
    Thanks
    Problem solved!

Wife was able to pick up the belt today, and I brought two of my kids out to the garage to 'help' me with it. They had a great time climbing on the tractor while I pulled everything apart, then ended up helping me with a couple of the bolts that we put back in.

There's a couple of tricks I think to putting this back together....lessons learned perhaps?

Here's the disassembly:

Click image for larger version.

Name:	20150209_193714.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	693.3 KB
ID:	39944

Name:	20150209_194924.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	654.8 KB
ID:	39945

And here you can see a hiccup. Trying to get a belt out around this guide piece is a pain....so I went all the way with disassembly so that I could rotate the gearbox (and sheave block?) to be able to slip the belt on easily.

Name:	20150209_194931.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	596.8 KB
ID:	39946

Here you can see that by removing the upper and lower plates, you can now easily rotate the gearbox (and the pulley) to allow easy removal/installation of the belt.

Name:	20150209_194945.jpg
Size:	532.7 KB
ID:	39947

Here you can see the gearbox attached, with the belt in the guide.

Name:	20150209_195118.jpg
Size:	708.9 KB
ID:	39948

Here's the pulleys put back in place.

Name:	20150209_200339.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	612.8 KB
ID:	39949

And re-assembly is complete. Just left the issue of re-mounting it to the tractor, and that was a simple matter. I will note that the tensioner pulley seemed to be at a bit of an angle compared to the idler pulley, so I bent the tensioner arm a bit so that they were lined up better. Not sure if that was from delivery, storage, or something I did, but after install it worked fine.

Name:	20150209_200630.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	677.4 KB
ID:	39950

Gave 'er a spin across the driveway and tidied up the area that I'm going to park my car in for the next 5 weeks while I'm away.....

And now it's time to pack the last bits and pieces and head for the ship. Off to sea in the morning. My thanks to all for your input. The wife will now be able to snow-blow while I'm away!

NS

12. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:04 AM
    Thanks
    Glad to hear that you got it all working! Thanks for the pictures, may help others in the future when they find this thread via a search...

Chuck
    BigJim55 and Drifterbike like this.

13. Top | #9

Last Online
    09-07-2015 @ 04:38 PM
    Thanks
    Navyshooter, nice job on finding a fix. I have a model 49 snow blower and have switched the pulley from 7" to 6" dia, but can't find a proper sized belt. 47" length was the original but they seem too big now even with the idler engaged so I've tried a 46" and a 46 and 3/8" belt from NAPA but they only last a little while and seem to break in half. It's very difficult to install these belts as they just barely fit. I have to pry them on the best I can with my hands then hit the PTO switch and have the motor pull the belt the rest of the way. Reading the V angle necessary for the PTO pulley but I'm not sure the 6" pulley I got from TS is the same angle. I've been trying NAPA store belts but they only have the sizes I've listed. I wonder if I can find a 6 1/2" or 6 3/4" belt and something heavy duty. If anyone has suggestions where I can find something like this please let me know. I assume the belts are 1/2" wide does it make any sense to try a 5/8" or do they even make them?

Thanks
    Steve
    BigJim55 likes this.

14. Top | #10

Last Online
    Thanks
    Home from sea, the tractor's working fine.

Was out this evening dealing with the 12-16" of snow that dropped last night. Good times! My neighbour appreciated when I blew the snow over the snow-banks for him. His Kubota can't reach over the top of them anymore to put the snow up!

:-)
    Gizmo2 and BigJim55 like this.

15. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast