Any thoughts on how a 590 does with really high, thick grass and weeds?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Any thoughts on how a 590 does with really high, thick grass and weeds?

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    07-26-2019 @ 08:17 PM
    Thanks

Any thoughts on how a 590 does with really high, thick grass and weeds?

Just wondering since I'll be getting a 590 shortly. I mow an area adjacent to my property that was formerly maintained by the PFBC (PA Fish and Boat Commission), but was neglected a few years ago (LONG story). What I mow is basically 3-4 ft. wide paths that go through a wooded area. Takes me about an hour or so. I don't mow it as low as my lawn, but not having had a mower the entire summer (another long story) has resulted in the paths having gotten really high. Problem is alot of the high grass has been trampled down by people walking on the paths. Fairly uneven terrain too. Does this sound like something the 590 will be able to handle? The last thing I'd want to do with a brand new tractor is damage something by trying to mow stuff that is a bit much for it. I have been trying to keep after parts of it with a weedwacker, but with all the rain we've gotten a weedwacker is a pretty poor excuse for a 42-inch deck! I've been maintaining the area with my old Cub Cadet 129 over the past 4 years - which has been out of commission since June. Thought that once I get the Cub running again I might keep using it as a workhorse to do those woods paths. Thanks for any advice.
    Last edited by three4rd; 09-24-2018 at 03:52 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:20 PM
    Thanks
    I'm probably not a good gauge for this because prior to the contractors mistakes I only had the chance to use my 48" deck once. About 1/4 acre 10-12" tall. I had also put on high lift Oregon mulching blades. It cut through the grass like a hot knife through butter, and even up hill it was like my 580 was laughing at me. You know, like "Is that all you've got for me."
    Herminator likes this.
    JD X738
    48" deck, 3pt hitch, 54" blade w/ full hydraulics, quick attach
    48" York rake, 56" box blade, mid row buster, dethatcher, aerator, 900lb roller
    Various Heavy Hitch adapters, ball hitch, hook, 2" sleeve hitch, etc..
    3200lb. hitch mounted winch
    Polar 1700 3/4 ton cart with side rails
    Power King 5" 15HP towable chipper

Kubota G2000S w/ 4w steering, hydraulics, 60" deck

Vietnam Veteran

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    09-18-2019 @ 07:19 PM
    Thanks
    I've mowed some really tall grass and weed mix with my 590. Don't cut it too low and keep the forward speed reasonable. Shouldn't be a problem.
    Herminator likes this.
    "It's not how fast you mow, it's how well you mow fast"

X590
    X540

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:17 AM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,496 Times in 1,405 Posts
    Cut it at one of the higher deck heights to start with. Then cut it a second time down at the length you want it long term.

Always go slow and make sure the discharge chute is not plugging.

You will be surprised what the machine will cut. Just remember that you have to give the machine the opportunity to cut the grass and then discharge it. In extreme instances, you might want to temporarily use a bungee cord and hold the discharge chute open. Just know this is likely to cover you in grass chaff and dirt and dust.

If the machine starts to bog down, just stop and let it catch up. And with so many unknown people having walked through the area, you may want to walk the paths first to make sure no one dropped a brick or who knows what in the deep grass. People do strange things all the time....

If you have a Go Pro or a knock off camera so you can record while NOT distracting you from the most important duties of being the operator, record your mowing and post it here as we all like to live vicariously through others.....

Over the years, I have cut stuff with my 455 that I would have thought impossible. I mean grass and viney crap which was 4 feet tall. Slow and steady, drive it into it and back it up and drive it into it again. Giving the mower the chance to really cut the material, it will cut more than most think.

Make sure to keep the air flow for the engine clean of all dust and chafe as it is vital for the cooling. Use a hand held or back pack blower to keep the engine compartment and all hood vents, etc. blown clear of all debris. Stop every so often and open the hood and use the blower to clean everything.

Have fun....!
    BigJim55 and Herminator like this.

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    08-29-2019 @ 12:15 PM
    Thanks
    Great suggestions from the others. When I first mowed some taller stuff, I was frustrated with the performance and a fair amount of streaking even with shape blades. I think the key is slow down and raise the deck. If it needs to be done twice so be it. I would really suggest swapping out the stock blades for the Predator blades. Have fun and will look forward to a report.
    John Deere 2011 2320, 200CX FEL, JD 46 BH, IMatch, RC1048, Countryline 6' Back Blade, Countryline 5' Rototiller, Ken's Bolt on Hooks, JD Ballast Box, Artillian Pallet forks, Grapple and Diverter, Bro-Tek Wheel Spacers, ROPS Warning Flag, Millcreek 63" Aerator, JD 21 Utility Trailer, 6ft Brillion Cultipacker.
    John Deere 2004 325
    John Deere 2017 X590

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:25 AM
    Thanks
    I only mow my septic field twice a year, and when I do, some of the "grass" is as high as the hood. I use a 580 nowadays, but maintained this septic field for 8 years with a 25hp, 42" Craftsman.

As others have mentioned, go slow, listening to the blade speed. Also, do not discharge into uncut areas, at least on the first pass.

Make sure you are using discharge blades, and if you have the mulch kit installed, remove it, or the grass cut by the 3rd blade will build up regardless of blade type.

Don't expect a perfect cut on the first pass, the grass and weeds may not have a chance to pop up when passing over them if they are taller than the front to back distance of your deck. You will most likely have to mow against the grain on the second pass to stand things up and get a finished look.
    Rudy-

Stable includes:
    2017 x580, 54" deck with Mulcher, sleeve hitch, rear blade, box scraper, 47" Snowblower, rear mount electric spreader
    1980 IH Cub Cadet 682, 50" deck, rototiller, front blade (inherited from FIL, in middle of full restore)
    Other Toys:
    Stihl MS290 Farm Boss Chainsaw
    Stihl BG56 Blower
    Stihl KM 111 Kombisystem

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Thanks
    I am having the mulching kit put on - didn't expect that it needs to be taken on and off. So even though the discharge is open - am I right that it still doesn't handle the grass as well as if the kit is removed? This is one concern I had and some uncertainty as to getting the mulching kit or not. I asked the dealer several times about this and he did say that people seem happy with it. I read somewhere - probably here - that even with the mulching mechanism turned off if still actually mulches about 1/3 of what is being cut. Guess this'll be a case of trial-and-error. The 590 has to do as well and probably better than my old Cub - which had worn-out blades (despite my sharpening them every spring) and literally no baffles left on the deck - they've completely disintegrated over the years!
    Herminator likes this.

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:25 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,606 Times in 1,220 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by three4rd View Post
    I am having the mulching kit put on - didn't expect that it needs to be taken on and off.
    Are you referring to the Mulch on Demand kit? I wouldn't imagine you have to take that off. I suspect the previous poster was referring to the full-time mulching baffles (which I have). I never take it off but then again I never mow anything taller than 6 inches or so.

So even though the discharge is open - am I right that it still doesn't handle the grass as well as if the kit is removed? This is one concern I had and some uncertainty as to getting the mulching kit or not. I asked the dealer several times about this and he did say that people seem happy with it. I read somewhere - probably here - that even with the mulching mechanism turned off if still actually mulches about 1/3 of what is being cut.
    That would make sense because you are installing additional baffles under the deck and when you turn mulching "off" it just opens a little flap. So even when off you do not have the same material flow as with a bare deck (see below).

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails mulch_control.jpg  
    North585 and BigJim55 like this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    Thanks
    I have no idea what he's putting on....whether it's a "mulch on demand" kit or "full-time mulching". He spoke of being able to turn it on and off..that's all I know.
    Herminator likes this.

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:25 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,606 Times in 1,220 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by three4rd View Post
    I have no idea what he's putting on....whether it's a "mulch on demand" kit or "full-time mulching". He spoke of being able to turn it on and off..that's all I know.
    If it has the ability to be turned on and off it is the Mulch on Demand option. Like mentioned above, it comes in two versions... lever operated and electrically operated.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast