NEVER under eastimate the capabilities of the X500 series.
Like Tree24Likes
  • 15 Post By BOBL
  • 3 Post By CJadamec
  • 5 Post By BOBL
  • 2 Post By romcjr

Thread: NEVER under eastimate the capabilities of the X500 series.

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:28 PM
    Thanks

NEVER under eastimate the capabilities of the X500 series.

I don't want to go back over a full summer of problems with my town, contractors and DOT. Let's just say they used my property for work, storage, rock crushing and storage of heavy equipment for a period of about 2 years during a road construction project.

When it came time to repair the property I eventually found out that they skim coated the ground with loam, maybe 2", did not scarify or till the ground before spreading the supposed loam, and actually buried 1" of gravel under the loam because the contractor didn't want to remove the pile they left on the property.

Then came the hydro seed. This turned into a giant WTF moment when the hydro seed not only failed, but spread lambs quarters over my entire front yard, about 1/2 acre of land. My wife and I then spent the time to pull as many of the weeds as possible, but the lambs quarters germinated and spread like wild fire. My choice was to rake the "loam" down 2" which brought up the gravel. In the end the ground that was never tilled would not support growth.

I went to the town, the contractor, and the DOT. We had a meeting in my front yard, they all agreed they had destroyed the property and steps would be taken to resolve the issue.

They wanted to scarify the ground. I wanted the ground tilled down 7" and did that with my 30 tiller and the X580.

I wanted the large rocks and boulder gone. I did that with my landscape rake and my X580.

They brought in 156 cubic yards of first class quality loam and used a Link Belt loader to roughly spread the loam. The Link Belt couldn't get up the hill. I spread the hill with my X580 48" blade.

No, the X500 series is not an X700 series equal, but IMO it has done more than I thought it would, and if spreading heavy loam up hill is any indication I'm all set for the snow on the way this winter.

I smoothed the ground after raking with a 52" box blade.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bottomup.jpg   uphill.jpg   topdown.jpg   hillside1.jpg   sidehill2.jpg  

uphill2.jpg  
    Last edited by BOBL; 09-24-2018 at 05:30 PM.
    JD X738
    48" deck, 3pt hitch, 54" blade w/ full hydraulics, quick attach
    48" York rake, 56" box blade, mid row buster, dethatcher, aerator, 900lb roller
    Various Heavy Hitch adapters, ball hitch, hook, 2" sleeve hitch, etc..
    3200lb. hitch mounted winch
    Polar 1700 3/4 ton cart with side rails
    Power King 5" 15HP towable chipper

Kubota G2000S w/ 4w steering, hydraulics, 60" deck

Vietnam Veteran

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 02:38 PM
    Thanks
    That really sucks about your lawn but you did a lot of really nice work to recover it. That x580 looks like it didn't even break a sweat.

I really did have doubts that the x590 I was going to buy would really be up to all the work you just put yours thru. Part of me said it will do it just fine but the other part of me that tends to go way overboard on things saw the x700's and wouldn't take no for an answer.
    TJR345, Herminator and Fozsey like this.
    X738, 54HC deck w/ auto connect, 3PH
    Woods GBC48 box scraper
    Day dreaming of a 54" snow blower

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:28 PM
    Thanks
    I knew what I needed to do before I bought the machine and the dealer said no problem, so that sealed the deal. Now I'm starting to jones about 4wd and thinking I want a 700 series machine. I don't need it but something evil tells me I do. All the same, the 580 is a beast and I had no problems at all.
    JD X738
    48" deck, 3pt hitch, 54" blade w/ full hydraulics, quick attach
    48" York rake, 56" box blade, mid row buster, dethatcher, aerator, 900lb roller
    Various Heavy Hitch adapters, ball hitch, hook, 2" sleeve hitch, etc..
    3200lb. hitch mounted winch
    Polar 1700 3/4 ton cart with side rails
    Power King 5" 15HP towable chipper

Kubota G2000S w/ 4w steering, hydraulics, 60" deck

Vietnam Veteran

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    07-30-2019 @ 05:29 PM
    Thanks
    My X580 has yet to fail on any task that it has been given !!!! I agree it is a beast !!!!
    Herminator and Fozsey like this.
    Ron
    2016 1025R SILB (Self Installed Loader Backhoe)
    54 Autoconnect MMM
    JD Imatch
    Several homemade Mods
    Ken's bolt on grab hooks combo , Diff lock pedal , Oblong slings , Backhoe Steps
    Piranha tooth bar
    Artillian forks
    Armstong Ag 4' Box Blade
    Fimco 40 gal. 3 pt. sprayer
    Blue Hawk (?) Plug Aerator

2016 x580
    Power Flow 14 Bushel Bagger
    Brushguard
    Jeff's LED Taillights
    JD Mulch Kit
    42 Hyd. Tiller

7. Remove Advertisements