(If you also go to the "other" tractor forum, please bear with me.)
A mouse/mice built a nest on top of both cylinders of my JD 590. The Engine Malfunction Indicator came on but I am unaware of for how long. I was mowing on a day when the temperature was 90 degrees. According to the service manager the computer on the 590 does not throw any codes to tell what is wrong. He assumed the engine overheated. I didn't notice any loss of power. The grass in the area that I was mowing only about 5 inches tall and the tractor was not under a heavy load. The service tech completely cleaned out the engine compartment and couldn't any damage to wiring or anything else. A test run showed that everything was operating OK. Do you think that there might have been unnoticed damage? The service department manager said that the 590 goes into a "imp mode" if there is the potential of serious damage. Is this correct?
I do keep the hood up on the tractor but the mouse/mice came up from underneath the motor. I use dryer sheets around my motorcycles and my JD 1070. Better do the same with the 590. Anything better than dryer sheets? Mothballs?
From now on I am going to watch the 590 dash a lot more closely. Yes indeed I am.