Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree103Likes

Thread: Possible mouse damage to JD 590

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    08-20-2019 @ 03:33 PM
    Thanks

Possible mouse damage to JD 590

(If you also go to the "other" tractor forum, please bear with me.)

A mouse/mice built a nest on top of both cylinders of my JD 590. The Engine Malfunction Indicator came on but I am unaware of for how long. I was mowing on a day when the temperature was 90 degrees. According to the service manager the computer on the 590 does not throw any codes to tell what is wrong. He assumed the engine overheated. I didn't notice any loss of power. The grass in the area that I was mowing only about 5 inches tall and the tractor was not under a heavy load. The service tech completely cleaned out the engine compartment and couldn't any damage to wiring or anything else. A test run showed that everything was operating OK. Do you think that there might have been unnoticed damage? The service department manager said that the 590 goes into a "imp mode" if there is the potential of serious damage. Is this correct?

I do keep the hood up on the tractor but the mouse/mice came up from underneath the motor. I use dryer sheets around my motorcycles and my JD 1070. Better do the same with the 590. Anything better than dryer sheets? Mothballs?

From now on I am going to watch the 590 dash a lot more closely. Yes indeed I am.
    BigJim55 and SulleyBear like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:18 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,028 Times in 2,509 Posts
    I hate them little critters
    mjncad and SulleyBear like this.
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:48 PM
    Thanks
    I've heard about mothballs but don't have experience with them, so don't know if it works. I've had luck with D-con, with a car in storage. Put a couple inside the engine compartment and interior. D-con was gone but the wiring wasn't.
    mjncad, Tomfive, BigJim55 and 1 others like this.
    🌠Back in my day we had 9 planets🌠

2014 1025R TLB
    60D AutoConnect Mower●H120 Loader●260 Backhoe●BB2048 Box Blade●RB2060L Back Blade●RC2048 Rotary Cutter●JD 60" Quick Hitch Plow Blade●Ken's Bolt-on Hooks●Ken's Diff Pedal●Ken's I-Match Hook●Ken's Backhoe Steps●Titan 42" Forks w/Headache Rack●Titan Ballast Box●Titan Toothbar w/23WTL Tiger Teeth●3" Edge Tamers●BXpanded 6" Bucket, Ripper & Bucket Quick Change●This & That Mods●Other Stuff I Forgot About●

The Mrs. has 2014 X360

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:59 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,377 Times in 1,080 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tguil View Post
    (If you also go to the "other" tractor forum, please bear with me.)

A mouse/mice built a nest on top of both cylinders of my JD 590. The Engine Malfunction Indicator came on but I am unaware of for how long. I was mowing on a day when the temperature was 90 degrees. According to the service manager the computer on the 590 does not throw any codes to tell what is wrong. He assumed the engine overheated. I didn't notice any loss of power. The grass in the area that I was mowing only about 5 inches tall and the tractor was not under a heavy load. The service tech completely cleaned out the engine compartment and couldn't any damage to wiring or anything else. A test run showed that everything was operating OK. Do you think that there might have been unnoticed damage? The service department manager said that the 590 goes into a "imp mode" if there is the potential of serious damage. Is this correct?

I do keep the hood up on the tractor but the mouse/mice came up from underneath the motor. I use dryer sheets around my motorcycles and my JD 1070. Better do the same with the 590. Anything better than dryer sheets? Mothballs?

From now on I am going to watch the 590 dash a lot more closely. Yes indeed I am.
    funny u should speak of them pesky little criters-today at the dealer where i bought my new gator at-a fella dropped off his little tractor for some TLC--as i was walking around it-held up in the air by a hoist chain--with the front tires off of it--i thought i seen insulation all around the the carb, top cover of motor, i mean every little nook and cranny it had pink in it said to the mechanic-that ain't to be in there like that-right he said nope-mice troubles--head gasket blew out only after the owner kept running it with the seal out on motor-i mean oil everywhere-most of it was dry, so he ran it a long time i think-IMO. but i still had to laugh at how hard them criters worked to stuff that stuff everywhere on that poor motor like that. i-yi-yi
    jim

2006 2520 mcut, 2004 x475, 1953 model 50, 1985 318-was my Dad's,
    king kutter tiller-60", frontier-stone rake, jd-4ft brush hog, frontier-6ft back-blade, frontier-forks, 48 inch forks,
    2-54inch jd snow plows, jd-5ft-pull brush hog,

2018 835R gas model gator-"aka" the Cadillac i say!! 6ft jd snow plow-which already has a dtac out on it. i got just about everything on it i could at the time

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    08-17-2019 @ 07:22 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kylew View Post
    I've heard about mothballs but don't have experience with them, so don't know if it works. I've had luck with D-con, with a car in storage. Put a couple inside the engine compartment and interior. D-con was gone but the wiring wasn't.
    First, I would not worry about engine damage. As the dealer noted, the 590 has a safe mode for running hot and low oil conditions.

As for the moth balls, they do tend to work--better than dryer sheets, which in my experience ended up in the mice nesting material. I also put a rolling log mouse trap near the tractor and it seems to catch most of the mice before they can do damage. Unlike a traditional mouse trap, this one keeps working.

JD 3025E | D160 loader | JD 413 Rotary Cutter | Behlen 7' grader blade | JD cultivator | Farm King PHD w/12" auger | Titan Ballast Box | 61" Pirhana bar | JD Sod Buster | Titan Pallet Fork w/receiver | Edge Tamers with Extensions | 5' King Kutter Rotary Tiller
    JD Z-Trac 335E with hitch and bumper kit | JD 8 cu ft cart
    JD D-100 Lawn Tractor w 42" deck | 10 cu ft HF cart
    1948 Ford 8N l 6' tooth harrow l Kawasaki Mule XC-SE
    Weather KMOLAWSO17 It's always sunny...unless it is not

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 356 For This Useful Post:

Herminator (09-26-2018), tguil (09-24-2018), Zebrafive (09-27-2018)

9. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:08 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,595 Times in 1,213 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kylew View Post
    Where do you get D-Con these days? I thought they took it off the market.
    Tomfive, BigJim55 and Herminator like this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

10. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:03 PM
    Thanks
    the black market...

mjncad, Tomfive, BigJim55 and 3 others like this.
    - 2002 John Deere 4510 TLB PR,
    -Woods BB60X 60" rotary cutter
    -Countyline box blade,
    -Allis Chalmers sickle mower,
    -RED windrow rake,
    -titan 48" 3000 pound forks/bale spear
    - Farm Star rear bale spear

Yamaha Rhino 700, Yamaha Rhino 660,
    Murray 624 mower/38" deck

11. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 03:00 PM
    Thanks
    Peppermint oil is good to use as a repellent.
    Tom

2019 X590 with power mulch control and PF bagger
    30" mechanical tiller
    02 X595 with 62" deck,front thatcher and powerflow PTO kit
    3pt hitch with Heavy Hitch 45 JD loader
    12 JD suitcase weights
    JD/Brinly 3pt plow
    Frontier SS1036 3pt pto spreader
    (2) JS63C walk behind mowers
    TS 105 JD weed wacker
    tow behind 15 gal. sprayer
    Turftime 60" lawn roller
    Turftime 54" 3pt core aerator

12. Top | #9

Last Online
    04-22-2019 @ 08:59 PM
    Thanks

Ace Hardware

Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    Where do you get D-Con these days? I thought they took it off the market.

Ya just can't get in the ole time pellets in the feeder boxes. Just chunks within little trap like boxes. Screw that!!I use rubber gloves and a ole cheese grater and make my own pellets outta the new chunks! I sprinkle my home made pellets just like before under air cleaners and car places that the little varmits prefer. They munch..they die!!

I B Happy!! Rob
    Last edited by rob257; 09-24-2018 at 08:08 PM.
    mjncad, Tomfive, BigJim55 and 3 others like this.

13. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:31 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TJR345 View Post
    Peppermint oil is good to use as a repellent.
    Peppermint works very well, but I use a combination of peppermint and those 6"x12" sticky traps. Put a couple down under the tractor with a dab of peanut butter in the middle. You'll catch them by the dozens, then you just pick up the mat and throw it away. Field mice suck.

It works for squirrels too. Ever seen a squirrel climb a tree with a sticky mat stuck to it's head?
    Last edited by BOBL; 09-25-2018 at 06:48 AM.
    mjncad, Tomfive, Zebrafive and 3 others like this.
    JD X738
    48" deck, 3pt hitch, 54" blade w/ full hydraulics, quick attach
    48" York rake, 56" box blade, mid row buster, dethatcher, aerator, 900lb roller
    Various Heavy Hitch adapters, ball hitch, hook, 2" sleeve hitch, etc..
    3200lb. hitch mounted winch
    Polar 1700 3/4 ton cart with side rails
    Power King 5" 15HP towable chipper

Kubota G2000S w/ 4w steering, hydraulics, 60" deck

Vietnam Veteran

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast