• 1 Post By atebit
  • 1 Post By atebit

Thread: Just picked up a 2013 X730

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    09-08-2019 @ 10:17 PM
    Thanks

Just picked up a 2013 X730

Bought it from a local used JD “dealer”. Unit has just under 1000 hours and is generally in very good shape. Two things I noticed...first, it seems like the throttle “sticks” in a few places. When I move the handle from turtle to rabbit, there are sizable periods of travel where the engine does not speed up...then it “coughs” and revs up a lot. I haven’t done a lot of maintenance on these except for the normal spark plug/air filter/fuel filter/oil change. I’m wondering if this could be a throttle cable issue or something else...where’s the best place to start looking?

Only other issue I’m concerned about right now is the parking brake level seems to be a little wonky, like it barely wants to stay engaged after I set it. Is this something that can be adjusted?
    Herminator likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:07 PM
    Thanks
    Start with checking that the throttle cable sleeve is clamped tight at the engine end and doesn't move when moving the throttle lever. The inner cable rod should move freely but the outer sleeve shouldn't. Also look for any binding.

I don't have a answer for the parking brake. I'm sure others will chime in.

And congratulations
    Last edited by kylew; 09-27-2018 at 07:56 PM.
    BigJim55 and Herminator like this.
    🌠Back in my day we had 9 planets🌠

2014 1025R TLB
    60D AutoConnect Mower●H120 Loader●260 Backhoe●BB2048 Box Blade●RB2060L Back Blade●RC2048 Rotary Cutter●JD 60" Quick Hitch Plow Blade●Ken's Bolt-on Hooks●Ken's Diff Pedal●Ken's I-Match Hook●Ken's Backhoe Steps●Titan 42" Forks w/Headache Rack●Titan Ballast Box●Titan Toothbar w/23WTL Tiger Teeth●3" Edge Tamers●BXpanded 6" Bucket, Ripper & Bucket Quick Change●This & That Mods●Other Stuff I Forgot About●

The Mrs. has 2014 X360

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Thanks
    Thanks, will check it out tomorrow.
    BigJim55 likes this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 03:53 PM
    Thanks
    A lot of stuff sits outside at a dealership so the cable may need some lube sprayed in it.Be sure your pressing the parking brake fully when setting it.
    Tom

2019 X590 with power mulch control and PF bagger
    30" mechanical tiller
    02 X595 with 62" deck,front thatcher and powerflow PTO kit
    3pt hitch with Heavy Hitch 45 JD loader
    12 JD suitcase weights
    JD/Brinly 3pt plow
    Frontier SS1036 3pt pto spreader
    (2) JS63C walk behind mowers
    TS 105 JD weed wacker
    tow behind 15 gal. sprayer
    Turftime 60" lawn roller
    Turftime 54" 3pt core aerator

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks
    So I checked it today...looks like it’s fastened securely at the engine where it attaches to the throttle linkage. But between there and the throttle lever the cable is not attached anywhere else. It seems like it should be because I notice when I move the throttle lever the entire cable moves a bit before the throttle linkage starts to move. So I’ll have to check out another similar tractor to see if there are additional attachment points for the cable.

I tried moving the “actual” throttle lever at the engine to check for smooth operation and the linkage itself might need to be lubricated or adjusted too. I found a couple of pages online of the maintenance manual that describes the throttle adjustment procedure so I’ll try that too.

With the hood up I can see a good portion of the brake lever. It seems to be fairly loose, but that may be by design. Next time I have the deck off I will probably be able to see the end that latches the brake lever, and maybe then I’ll be able to tell if there’s a bracket that needs adjustment.
    kylew likes this.

8. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements