• 1 Post By IndianaJim

Thread: Mud Tire Size

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    10-04-2018 @ 07:17 AM
    Thanks

Mud Tire Size

Hi All-
    I have a new E series- John Deer, E-170 ..I'm looking to change out the stock Rear tires (22x9.5-12)- for mud tires : Carlisle Tru Power Tractor Tire 23x10.50-12..does anyone know if they will fit regarding clearance etc? Thanks, here is what I am looking at..

Carlisle Tru Power Tractor Tire 23x10.50-12 - YouTube
    Last edited by Danester; 10-03-2018 at 03:17 PM.
    Herminator likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    09-16-2019 @ 06:08 PM
    Thanks
    Technically, thats an AG tire, or R1 tire.
    While they work ok in the mud, thats not really what they are designed for.

I cant say if they will fit or not, but you need to be sure the wheel size is correct for the tire.
    In addition to the wheel diameter, obviously, you also need to make sure the wheel is wide enough to let the tire work as designed.
    You should also be somewhat concerned with the transaxle in your tractor holding up should you decide to use tires like this. They are much more effective at transferring torque to the ground, and from the ground to the transaxle, which isnt designed for much, meaning you have a lawn mower, not a garden tractor, and the transaxle isnt designed to take the loads that a garden tractor does.

Assuming they will fit, what kind of conditions are you mowing in that necessitate this type of tire on that size mower?
    I ask because there may be better options.
    TJR345, Herminator and Danester like this.
    Jim B.

318, 49 Thrower, 2 80 Carts, 17AT cart, 54 Blade, 12" Brinly Plow, 30 Hydraulic Tiller w/extension & Briney 3-Pt hitch, 50 deck w/JRCO Cart Bagger.
    2025R, 120R loader w/Kens Bolt On Hooks, 260B backhoe w/8" & 16" buckets, Titan 36" forks, Imatch hitch, Weight Bracket/Hitch.

Exmark Lazer Z HP 52"
    Husqvarna 550XP, 562XP, 55 Rancher

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    10-04-2018 @ 07:17 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IndianaJim View Post
    Technically, thats an AG tire, or R1 tire.
    While they work ok in the mud, thats not really what they are designed for.

I cant say if they will fit or not, but you need to be sure the wheel size is correct for the tire.
    In addition to the wheel diameter, obviously, you also need to make sure the wheel is wide enough to let the tire work as designed.
    You should also be somewhat concerned with the transaxle in your tractor holding up should you decide to use tires like this. They are much more effective at transferring torque to the ground, and from the ground to the transaxle, which isnt designed for much, meaning you have a lawn mower, not a garden tractor, and the transaxle isnt designed to take the loads that a garden tractor does.

Assuming they will fit, what kind of conditions are you mowing in that necessitate this type of tire on that size mower?
    I ask because there may be better options.
    Thanks for the info- I guess I'm looking for something that will dig into the wet ground a little bit - more than the stock tires do- I have some slopes (slight inclines) in my yard that if the grass is even a little bit wet, the tires spin and causes the grass to get destroyed if I stay on the throttle..I know I usually let up and roll back, and try again at a moderate speed, but by then, the treads on the stock tires are like car tires in a sense..not spaced out enough..and are packed easily with mud and will only slip again.....again- thanks for your assistance!
    IndianaJim likes this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:44 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,061 Times in 2,226 Posts
    Tire chains.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    09-16-2019 @ 06:08 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Danester View Post
    Thanks for the info- I guess I'm looking for something that will dig into the wet ground a little bit - more than the stock tires do- I have some slopes (slight inclines) in my yard that if the grass is even a little bit wet, the tires spin and causes the grass to get destroyed if I stay on the throttle..I know I usually let up and roll back, and try again at a moderate speed, but by then, the treads on the stock tires are like car tires in a sense..not spaced out enough..and are packed easily with mud and will only slip again.....again- thanks for your assistance!
    Are the stock tires the Turf Savers? They have that big chevron tread pattern, and are about the worst tire for traction for any mower, or at least thats been my luck with them, lol!

The Tru Powers would likely work. They are only 1" closer to the fender deck (they might be a bit more since your wheel is narrower), so if you have that much clearance, they will work there. I havent seen the E series close enough to know, but the older entry series had what looked to be a lot of clearance inside the tire too. You are only, at best, 1" wider in tread width too, so if you have that much clearance all the way around the inside of the tire, they should work fine.

One other tire to look at, or two, the Carlisle All Trail and the HDAP. Both have a LOT more traction than the regular turfs, and wont tear up the lawn when turning. The Tru-Power may tear up your turf if its wet.
    Miller Tire also lists a Kenda Terra Trac that looks like it would do a great job too, and less money than the Tru Power.

It may be a good idea to look at Carlisles site and look at the actual tire specs. They list overall diameter and width, and recommended wheel size.
    From that info, you can see if there is, for instance, a 23x10.50x12 that measures a bit smaller which would help in your case.
    CJadamec likes this.
    Jim B.

318, 49 Thrower, 2 80 Carts, 17AT cart, 54 Blade, 12" Brinly Plow, 30 Hydraulic Tiller w/extension & Briney 3-Pt hitch, 50 deck w/JRCO Cart Bagger.
    2025R, 120R loader w/Kens Bolt On Hooks, 260B backhoe w/8" & 16" buckets, Titan 36" forks, Imatch hitch, Weight Bracket/Hitch.

Exmark Lazer Z HP 52"
    Husqvarna 550XP, 562XP, 55 Rancher

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Today @ 07:53 AM
    Thanks
    I have the same 22x9.5-12 tires on my D160 and have been looking for a pair of HDAP tires to replace them with for 2 years now. The OEM tires are the ONLY tires I've found in that size.

Others have put 23x10.50-12 HDAP tires on and claim to have enough room under the fender pan for them.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    03-02-2019 @ 06:20 PM
    Thanks
    You can try grooving the stock rear tires or removing a few of the chevron blocks. Plenty of ways to do this on YouTube.
    2014 X540 with HDAP tires, 54" deck, brush guard, arm rests and cargo bag.
    JD 48" plow with angle from seat kit & heavy duty skid shoes.
    4 suitcase weights and chains.
    JD tow behind spreader.
    JD 42" lawn sweeper.
    JD 10P cart.
    JD JS61 RWD walk behind mower.
    Stihl KM110 power head with pole saw, shaft extension, power scythe, curved shaft edger, 2 straight shaft cutters (string & blade).
    Stihl MS180-CBE 16" saw.
    Stihl SH86C hand held blower vac.

10. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements