Like Tree44Likes

Thread: X739 Intermittent Jerking

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    02-03-2019 @ 04:30 PM
    Thanks

X739 Intermittent Jerking

First post here;

Last week I took delivery of my third JD Garden Tractor in the last 25 years. I has a 425 model in the mid ‘90’s, an X585 in 2004, and the new X739 last week. I was able to get a fair price for the 14 year old X585, which looked much newer and was well maintained. About the time I had made my mind up to buy a new JD, the hour meter quit working on the X585.

Delivery was 27SEP18, a Thursday. I noted that the hour meter had 0.0 displayed and hoped that it had been inspected before delivery. The next day I started to cut the yard. What a disappointment; the tractor left shallow ruts and scalped some places. The following Monday, I called the dealer and made my concerns known. Tuesday the tech arrived and let some air out of the tires and leveled the mower deck and set the gage wheels. The grass hasn’t grown that much and I think it may be done for the season. I also use the mower to mulch the leaves from the various trees in the yard. Today, 6OCT, I started the leaf collection. I noticed there was a jerky sensation intermittently as I had experienced on the maiden cut. We have a long driveway and I tested the tractor down the length, both with the mower deck engaged and without. I doesn’t matter, there is a jerkiness at random times. I got the missus out to see if she could visually see any difference when the symptom occurred. She was not able to notice any difference. I got her to drive and sure enough, I could see it and hear a difference in the ‘whine’
    of the machine. The missus could also feel the jerkiness.
    This is the first AWD machine I have had. Has anyone had a similar experience? Dealership has been contacted.

Sorry for the “War and Peace” first post. Also a few pics of the first cut.......
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 82FC8350-6850-4C60-ABB1-DBDC073D3004.jpeg   F80C1CE5-FE7D-47E5-85AA-F7196F626128.jpeg  

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    09-01-2019 @ 08:55 AM
    Thanks
    I would have stopped mowing if it was scalping. Regarding the surge, have you checked the hydraulic fluid by pulling the dip-stick behind the seat? Shut it down and let the fluids settle for 5 minutes. Unscrew the stick and wipe it off. Re-insert it without screwing it in. My guess (as was mine) is that the hydro fluid level is not on the stick. Contact the dealer and let them know. My dealer gave me a gallon to top it off.

Hearing your deck was not level and potentially low of fluid, does not surprise me. Mine was not "set-up" as it should have been prior to my use.
    I suggest you read your owners manual. Go through the daily check list.

My x739 is my first "new" John Deere. Short of the dependencies, I'm very pleased with mine
    Last edited by Boonie; 10-06-2018 at 05:04 PM.
    tj1 likes this.
    2018 X739 w/54HC MMM & Mulch Kit
    54" 4-Way Plow w/Custom Mount
    Ruegg 3PH and a gaggle of implements.

TSC = The Village of Idiots

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Boonie For This Useful Post:

Sedgar2 (10-07-2018)

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:49 PM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,496 Times in 1,405 Posts
    The amount of scalping, I would check to make sure that one of the blades isn't on upside down.

The "herky jerky" is definitely not normal. Could be anything from low Hydro fluid levels to disconnected shock on the hydro linkage to ???

Does the pedal pressure and movement seem like those on your other Deere's, specifically the x585? Pedal feel and pressure should be nearly identical...

Does the tractor hesitate of get "Herky Jerky" in reverse as well?

With as much mowing as has been done, the air, if any in the hydro, should be long gone.

Does The jerkiness feels like it's strictly in the hydro and not in the engine performance? Otherwise, I would wonder about bad fuel, etc.

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

6. The Following User Says Thank You to SulleyBear For This Useful Post:

Sedgar2 (10-06-2018)

7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

8. Top | #4

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SulleyBear View Post
    The amount of scalping, I would check to make sure that one of the blades isn't on upside down.

The "herky jerky" is definitely not normal. Could be anything from low Hydro fluid levels to disconnected shock on the hydro linkage to ???

Does the pedal pressure and movement seem like those on your other Deere's, specifically the x585? Pedal feel and pressure should be nearly identical...

Does the tractor hesitate of get "Herky Jerky" in reverse as well?

With as much mowing as has been done, the air, if any in the hydro, should be long gone.

Does The jerkiness feels like it's strictly in the hydro and not in the engine performance? Otherwise, I would wonder about bad fuel, etc.
    Everything feels normal in the controls. I think the jerkiness is in the drive train, there is no engine symptom; I was a tech for over thirty years. I haven’t tried reverse or looked to see if a blade/s are installed improperly. When I took delivery of the X585 years ago, it was also in fall and the first time I engaged the deck a blade exited from under the deck! Seems it wasn’t secured on the shoulder properly. Disappointed is an understatement and the principal at the local dealer is cowardly!
    tj1 likes this.

9. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Boonie View Post
    I would have stopped mowing if it was scalping. Regarding the surge, have you checked the hydraulic fluid by pulling the dip-stick behind the seat? Shut it down and let the fluids settle for 5 minutes. Unscrew the stick and wipe it off. Re-insert it without screwing it in. My guess (as was mine) is that the hydro fluid level is not on the stick. Contact the dealer and let them know. My dealer gave me a gallon to top it off.

Hearing your deck was not level and potentially low of fluid, does not surprise me. Mine was not "set-up" as it should have been prior to my use.
    I suggest you read your owners manual. Go through the daily check list.

My x739 is my first "new" John Deere. Short of the dependencies, I'm very pleased with mine
    I’m thinking you have scoped the problem out......We have a fairly long driveway and I was testing the tractor with and without the deck engaged. Had random jerkiness at various speeds even with the deck not engaged. I took your advice and checked the hyd fluid. Warm, it barely registered. I would have thought that when the tech was here to adjust the deck, he would have given everything a look. Are my expectations too high that after stroking a check, I should be able to roll without performing a pre-delivery service on the machine? Thanks for the reply!
    BigJim55 and tj1 like this.

10. Top | #6

Last Online
    Today @ 06:49 AM
    Thanks
    What kind of grass is that?

There is something screwy with that cut. An out of level deck will consistently make uneven cuts. There are areas of your cuts that appear to be even & then uneven areas in the same round.

I do not know what the jerkiness might be.

There is a check list in the manual of things to check before operation. fluid levels are one of those items.
    BigJim55 likes this.
    Kioti CK3510SE HST, Kioti KL4030 Loader, John Deere 655 Tiller, Frontier LR2072 Landscape Rake, Virnig V50 Pallet Forks, Woods GB60 Box Blade
    John Deere X739 AWS 4X4, 60HC Auto Connect Deck, Front grader blade.
    John Deere 825i Gator

John Deere Tractors I have owned in the past.
    425 AWS, 455, 4400, 2210, 4710, 2320, 2720, X475, 1026R, 4120, 2025R

11. Top | #7

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisR View Post
    What kind of grass is that?

There is something screwy with that cut. An out of level deck will consistently make uneven cuts. There are areas of your cuts that appear to be even & then uneven areas in the same round.

I do not know what the jerkiness might be.

There is a check list in the manual of things to check before operation. fluid levels are one of those items.
    The grass isn’t the best quality, but it was all green given all the rain this year. I am with you as to the deck level wouldn’t give me the results shown. Earlier I posted that I got around to checking the fluid level @ the dipstick under the seat; warm was barely a hint and cool was no recording.

I suspect the jerkiness and the low fluid have something to do with each other. The ruts conform to the tires and I suspect the jerky sensation was one wheel slipping or spinning too fast due to the AWD system.

I agree as to the pre-checks, but this was the next day after delivery and the check stroking. The tech has been here once and agreed that whomever did/didn’t do the pre-service dropped the ball. If I had been him, I would have done all the checks.

At the cost of theses machines, I would expect things to be spot on for the initial cut...........old-fashioned I guess....

Thanks for the reply....
    etcallhome and BigJim55 like this.

12. Top | #8

Last Online
    Today @ 04:54 AM
    Thanks
    With the AWD on these tractors mine has been nothing but smooth as silk even when doing fast tight turns. Mine was delivered a full 2.5 quarts low on fluid and it never once felt jerky or hesitated even with the low fluid. You should get the dealer to troubleshoot that tractor to start a history on that issue and get it fixed or replaced.
    BigJim55 and tj1 like this.
    X738, 54HC deck w/ auto connect, 3PH
    Woods GBC48 box scraper
    Day dreaming of a 54" snow blower

13. Top | #9

Last Online
    09-20-2019 @ 08:48 AM
    Thanks
    The x7-series tractors (and probably many other twin-pedal hydros) are prone to jerkiness based on your foot's movement on the pedal as the tractor bounces over uneven ground. I noticed this on my x758 in certain parts of my lawn where I'm going uphill on bumpy ground. It gets into a feedback loop where your foot rises and falls as the tractor crosses the bumps and that increases and decreases your speed quickly. Try your tractor with the cruise control on and see if it is better.

Rob
    etcallhome, BigJim55 and Fade2Blk like this.
    2016 x758 w/60" HC mower, 54" snowblower, MC519 bagger
    2010 2520 w/61" H130 loader, TA 42" forks, KK 60" Pro tiller, iMatch quick hitch, KK middle buster
    1996 345 - Traded
    Other toys: Stihl BR600 backpack blower; McCulloch chainsaws: 10-10S, 700, 805, 10-10; JD trimmer

2520:__________________________x758:__________________________Faithful 345:___________________

14. The Following User Says Thank You to BigBlue For This Useful Post:

Sedgar2 (10-09-2018)

15. Top | #10

Last Online
    Thanks
    Update: Dealer svc mgr and tech came out today and were able to verify the symptom. We tried the cruise control and ruled out throttle fluctuation. They brought out a brand new X738 minus a mower deck. The wash board effect was worse. They are going to open a case with the manufactured; film @ 11............
    BigJim55 likes this.

16. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast