• 1 Post By tj1
  • 1 Post By BigBlue

Thread: x758 Dash switch blanks not removable

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:55 AM
    Thanks

x758 Dash switch blanks not removable

In another thread folks were talking about adding a Noco battery tender that has a dash mounted plug and status light. I needed an extra battery tender this year because of another cycle added to the stable so I figured that would be a good solution to try on my x758. Well, when I went to remove the topmost switch blank on the dash to open a hole for the standard sized Noco module I found that the blanks on the dash are not removable. This contradicted what other folks found on their dashes. I'm not sure what model years they had but mine is from 2016 and is the new style digital gauge setup. Anyway, I ended up having to pry and cut out the blank to open a hole. What a stupid way to do things. I probably could have used a Dremel cutting wheel if I had known for sure it was not removable but I kept thinking it had to be a separate piece, right up until I jammed a screwdriver through the edge and learned otherwise. Anyway, I didn't hack things up too bad and the Noco module covers it up well so it doesn't look bad. But I figured I'd make a thread about it for others in the future so everyone understands that not all x7-series dashes have removable switch blanks.

Here are some pictures...

Here's a view of the underside of the dash. Note that there are no tabs/clips on the back of the blanks.

Here's what the dash looked like in the process of hacking the blank out. I cleaned it up a lot better than this but wanted to show for sure that the blank is molded right into the dash as a single piece.

And here's a view of what remained of the blank once removed. Showing the underside where there clearly are no tabs.

Hope this helps someone in the future.

Rob
    mjncad, Kennyd, North585 and 3 others like this.
    2016 x758 w/60" HC mower, 54" snowblower, MC519 bagger
    2010 2520 w/61" H130 loader, TA 42" forks, KK 60" Pro tiller, iMatch quick hitch, KK middle buster
    1996 345 - Traded
    Other toys: Stihl BR600 backpack blower; McCulloch chainsaws: 10-10S, 700, 805, 10-10; JD trimmer

2520:__________________________x758:__________________________Faithful 345:___________________

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BigBlue For This Useful Post:

mjncad (10-11-2018), Zebrafive (10-10-2018)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

4. Top | #2

Last Online
    09-12-2019 @ 11:58 AM
    Thanks
    Thanks BigBlue I would have certainly gone with the screw driver and hammer method as well. Must have been cheaper to injection mold the blank as one piece rather than two.

I'll let you know what I find under the dash.
    2017 John Deere x758 w/54" HC mower, 14bu powerflow, 4-way QH, FM dethatcher, 18 steel cart, CTA 66" blade
    2018 Ariens Hydro Pro EFI 28" #313 926068 - SOLD
    2017 Ariens 24" Platinum SHO EFI 921053 - SOLD

5. Top | #3
    tj1
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:42 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBlue View Post
    In another thread folks were talking about adding a Noco battery tender that has a dash mounted plug and status light. I needed an extra battery tender this year because of another cycle added to the stable so I figured that would be a good solution to try on my x758. Well, when I went to remove the topmost switch blank on the dash to open a hole for the standard sized Noco module I found that the blanks on the dash are not removable. This contradicted what other folks found on their dashes. I'm not sure what model years they had but mine is from 2016 and is the new style digital gauge setup. Anyway, I ended up having to pry and cut out the blank to open a hole. What a stupid way to do things. I probably could have used a Dremel cutting wheel if I had known for sure it was not removable but I kept thinking it had to be a separate piece, right up until I jammed a screwdriver through the edge and learned otherwise. Anyway, I didn't hack things up too bad and the Noco module covers it up well so it doesn't look bad. But I figured I'd make a thread about it for others in the future so everyone understands that not all x7-series dashes have removable switch blanks.

Here are some pictures...

Here's a view of the underside of the dash. Note that there are no tabs/clips on the back of the blanks.

Here's what the dash looked like in the process of hacking the blank out. I cleaned it up a lot better than this but wanted to show for sure that the blank is molded right into the dash as a single piece.

And here's a view of what remained of the blank once removed. Showing the underside where there clearly are no tabs.

Hope this helps someone in the future.

Rob
    Yup dremel tool for sure or a hot razor knife will work too but the knife gets cold to quick for the thickness of the plastic.. I used a dremel cut off wheel to do mine on the X738...
    Heck of a way to find out it doesn't just pop out!!! I can hear what you said too.... I cheated; I read how to do it before I went out and did it!
    nastorino likes this.
    Jeff

X 738 4X4/ 54" mower deck, 47" two stage snow thrower/ linear actuator spout control, Curtis hard side cab/heater, JD roof top LED work lights, Curtis fuse block, rear roof light connected to dash light switch and reverse lights, additional 20amp alternator, Curtis fast Cast 2000 sander custom fitted to tractor/ vibrator for use with dry sand, Kubota L39 TLB, JD 450 E dozer, Husky 18 horse/ 48" mower deck/Berco 42" two stage snow thrower/Berco soft side cab, Kubota RTV500-H.

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:55 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tj1 View Post
    Yup dremel tool for sure or a hot razor knife will work too but the knife gets cold to quick for the thickness of the plastic.. I used a dremel cut off wheel to do mine on the X738...
    Heck of a way to find out it doesn't just pop out!!! I can hear what you said too.... I cheated; I read how to do it before I went out and did it!
    I tried to learn first too, but several people in the other thread who have done this said it was removable. Obviously they had different year tractors.
    tj1 likes this.
    2016 x758 w/60" HC mower, 54" snowblower, MC519 bagger
    2010 2520 w/61" H130 loader, TA 42" forks, KK 60" Pro tiller, iMatch quick hitch, KK middle buster
    1996 345 - Traded
    Other toys: Stihl BR600 backpack blower; McCulloch chainsaws: 10-10S, 700, 805, 10-10; JD trimmer

2520:__________________________x758:__________________________Faithful 345:___________________

8. Top | #5
    tj1
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:42 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBlue View Post
    I tried to learn first too, but several people in the other thread who have done this said it was removable. Obviously they had different year tractors.
    Ya, mine is a 2015 and it looks exactly like your dash cutouts (which are not really cut outs at all just a nice way to cut without marking anything, I'll give JD credit for that)... I did drill a hole in each corner too and that told me it was not a pop out piece,, maybe that's the carpenter in me that made me do that? Oh well, your post let's people know about it and that's a good thing and that's why we post! Thanks..
    Jeff

X 738 4X4/ 54" mower deck, 47" two stage snow thrower/ linear actuator spout control, Curtis hard side cab/heater, JD roof top LED work lights, Curtis fuse block, rear roof light connected to dash light switch and reverse lights, additional 20amp alternator, Curtis fast Cast 2000 sander custom fitted to tractor/ vibrator for use with dry sand, Kubota L39 TLB, JD 450 E dozer, Husky 18 horse/ 48" mower deck/Berco 42" two stage snow thrower/Berco soft side cab, Kubota RTV500-H.

9. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements