Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Deere x758 failure to start with Noco battery tender

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:55 AM
    Thanks

Deere x758 failure to start with Noco battery tender

Had a weird experience recently. In the first two years of having my x758 I used a Battery Tender Jr. battery tender to keep the battery healthy during the winter when it doesn't get a lot of use. Since I needed a new battery tender recently for another vehicle I decided to buy the Noco battery tender with dash-mounted plug like another member posted in this forum recently. Got it all installed and hooked it up. Pushed the button on the Noco to switch it from standby to 12V charge/maintenance mode.

The next day I went to use the x758 and here's what happened: Turned key on, dash displayed normal start-up check and I waited for the glow plug light to go out. When it did I turned the key to crank it and it barely turned over and then everything went out. Dash was black. No starter action. Turned key off and on a couple times and nothing. It was like the battery was almost dead and when I cranked it I used the last juice. Turned off again and left it for a minute, then re-tried. That time the dash came back on and it started normally.

Used the tractor for 15 min, parked it again and plugged the Noco back into the dash plug. Came back next day to move it again and this time it did something similar but wouldn't even crank at all. As soon as I turned key to 'start' everything went dead. Put a battery charger on but noticed that it wasn't taking much change, like a full battery. I checked voltage (with charger removed) and battery was at 13.4V, so looking fully charged. Went back to try starting it again and dash lit up and it popped off just fine.

What the heck is going on here? I know the Noco charger is hooked up correctly. Not that hard to get red side to (+) and black terminal to (-).

I was going to contact Noco but I see they really only have a mail-in form. They say they have chat and call-back but neither is 'active' today (mid day on Monday during business hours). At this point I am about ready to pull everything out and return it to Amazon unless someone here has info on what is going on or what I may be doing wrong.

Rob
    2016 x758 w/60" HC mower, 54" snowblower, MC519 bagger
    2010 2520 w/61" H130 loader, TA 42" forks, KK 60" Pro tiller, iMatch quick hitch, KK middle buster
    1996 345 - Traded
    Other toys: Stihl BR600 backpack blower; McCulloch chainsaws: 10-10S, 700, 805, 10-10; JD trimmer

2520:__________________________x758:__________________________Faithful 345:___________________

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:08 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,595 Times in 1,213 Posts
    Here are a few possibilities in somewhat of a likelihood order.

1. Poor battery connections - try cleaning the terminals and cable ends and ensure all connections are tight. Double check everything that was touched during the Noco connector install.
    2. The battery is failing - admittedly it would be a big coincidence but it needs to be ruled out. Can you have the battery load tested? Also, try to measure the battery voltage while it is cranking next time it acts flaky. Batteries can be intermittent.
    3. The Noco charger is faulty - if #1 and #2 are okay, can you go back to trying your old Battery Tender Jr. for a while?
    4. Something else. :-)
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    Here are a few possibilities in somewhat of a likelihood order.

1. Poor battery connections - try cleaning the terminals and cable ends and ensure all connections are tight. Double check everything that was touched during the Noco connector install.
    2. The battery is failing - admittedly it would be a big coincidence but it needs to be ruled out. Can you have the battery load tested? Also, try to measure the battery voltage while it is cranking next time it acts flaky. Batteries can be intermittent.
    3. The Noco charger is faulty - if #1 and #2 are okay, can you go back to trying your old Battery Tender Jr. for a while?
    4. Something else. :-)
    I actually tightened up the battery terminals when changing the leads from the Battery Tender to the Noco leads, so that shouldn't be an issue. Battery is just 2.5 years old and has been perfect so that would be a huge coincidence and very troubling if it was actually going bad. I can certainly switch back to the battery tender Jr. In fact, I normally doing use anything in the spring/summer/fall but I was just prepping for winter and that is why I hooked up the Noco.

Rob

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    09-12-2019 @ 11:58 AM
    Thanks
    keep us posted. Hopefully it's a cheap resolution.

I would definitely try the old trickle charger.
    2017 John Deere x758 w/54" HC mower, 14bu powerflow, 4-way QH, FM dethatcher, 18 steel cart, CTA 66" blade
    2018 Ariens Hydro Pro EFI 28" #313 926068 - SOLD
    2017 Ariens 24" Platinum SHO EFI 921053 - SOLD

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    09-01-2019 @ 08:55 AM
    Thanks
    BigBlue, that's weird. As mentioned there's not much going on here with connections. Self explanatory. Did you check the in-line fuse by chance? I mean, you have continuity or ya don't.
    Curious what your settings are that you're using on the NOCO. I set 12v small and it works fine. If your battery is known good, there's a short somewhere in the lead from the dash to the battery, or the charger itself. You might try pulling the in-line fuse, then crank it over. My guess is you got a faulty unit. Disconnect the dash charging lead from the battery, then try connecting the NOCO with the clamps only, and see if that rules out the in-dash add-on! Also, when the in-dash charge port was/is connected, what's it saying for battery state of charge?
    Last edited by Boonie; 10-15-2018 at 12:02 PM.
    2018 X739 w/54HC MMM & Mulch Kit
    54" 4-Way Plow w/Custom Mount
    Ruegg 3PH and a gaggle of implements.

TSC = The Village of Idiots

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Boonie View Post
    BigBlue, that's weird. As mentioned there's not much going on here with connections. Self explanatory. Did you check the in-line fuse by chance? I mean, you have continuity or ya don't.
    Curious what your settings are that you're using on the NOCO. I set 12v small and it works fine. If your battery is known good, there's a short somewhere in the lead from the dash to the battery, or the charger itself. You might try pulling the in-line fuse, then crank it over. My guess is you got a faulty unit.
    Yeah, it just doesn't make sense. That's why I'm confused. As for settings, I just pressed the button on the G750 once to switch into 12V charge/maintenance mode. Not trying anything fancy like the 'recovery' mode or anything. The battery was very healthy before this. I'm leaving the charger unhooked (but the dash plug hooked up) for a day to see if it makes a difference.

I'll go try to clean the terminals and re-tighten just to make sure, but I highly doubt that they are loose.

Rob
    2010 2520 w/61" H130 loader, TA 42" forks, KK 60" Pro tiller, iMatch quick hitch, KK middle buster
    1996 345 - Traded
    Other toys: Stihl BR600 backpack blower; McCulloch chainsaws: 10-10S, 700, 805, 10-10; JD trimmer

2520:__________________________x758:__________________________Faithful 345:___________________

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    09-01-2019 @ 08:55 AM
    Thanks
    Process of elimination, really.
    I have the 3500 model so, I'm no help beyond what I already replied.
    Hope you get it sorted.
    2018 X739 w/54HC MMM & Mulch Kit
    54" 4-Way Plow w/Custom Mount
    Ruegg 3PH and a gaggle of implements.

TSC = The Village of Idiots

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:45 AM
    Thanks
    I have had battery tender, the brand name, cause my battery to go dead twice. The tender went bad and drained the battery to nothing. I would tend to say this is your problem since you checked everything else out.
    eric102 likes this.
    2019 3046r, 385A BH, FEL, JD Ballist box, 6' 3pt hitch rake, 4 way 48" snow blade, 7' 3pt hitch drag blade
    Zero turn Z445, 5' 3pt hitch woods mower, 42" Artillian Pallet forks W/Adapter for snow plow, Standard 3pt hitch receiver to move trailers.
    I haul the tractor with a 2015 2500HD Chevrolet Silverado 4X4 6.6L Duramax W/Allison transmission a 2013 18' 7500lb dove tail trailer made by Appilachian trailers.
    Stihl MS271 Farm Boss Chain Saw 18" blade, Piranha Bar.

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BillieS View Post
    I have had battery tender, the brand name, cause my battery to go dead twice. The tender went bad and drained the battery to nothing. I would tend to say this is your problem since you checked everything else out.
    It doesn't really seem like the battery is actually 'dead' though. I suspect more like something is confusing the electronics of the tractor. After the blackout on the first attempts to start it then everything comes back and it starts up just fine, turning over as quickly as normal. And the battery voltage has been measured at 12.8-13.4V (tractor off, charger unhooked). To me, it is either a bad connection or the charger is messing with the tractor's electronics.

At lunch today I went out and removed the terminals, cleaned them (posts and inside the terminals) and reinstalled them tightly. Then I hooked the charger back up. It even turned green quickly, indicating the battery was fully charged already. If it fails again tomorrow the charger & dash plug go back. As a side note, the tractor started up just fine before and after I cleaned the terminals today. Charger was NOT hooked up since yesterday's snafu.

Rob
    1996 345 - Traded

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:08 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BillieS View Post
    Have heard that more than a few times, another reason I don't use them. Since healthy lead acid batteries only self discharge 2-8% a month there's really no need for them over a normal winter layover, plus the cooler the temperature the slower they discharge.
    2008 3320 -- 2014 X739

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast