• 3 Post By xcopterdoc
  • 3 Post By JD4044M

Thread: For your viewing pleasure

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:44 PM
    Thanks

For your viewing pleasure

GX335 I believe. Complaint was won't move. Found this.. Broken frame and broken directional control rod.

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 04:49 PM
    Thanks
    I will play armchair failure mode dectective.

As evidenced by the condition of the metal the crack form in the corner of the knotch in the frame. Likely due to stress risers caused by a poor chamfer in the corner. The mushroomed metal near that corner shows the crack was there for a long time allowi g the frame to flex there and distort the metal.

Finally after many hundreds of thousands of flexing cycles the rest of the frame got brittle from work hardening. The initial crack finally propigated thru the entire frame in a sudden and quick failure. As evidenced by the sharp fracture edge with light colored corrosion.

If a weld repair to the frame is planned you will either need to stress releive and retemper the effected zone around the crack. Alternately you will need to put a splice across the crack the is welded out side of the work-hardened brittle area.
    X738, 54HC deck w/ auto connect, 3PH
    Woods GBC48 box scraper
    Day dreaming of a 54" snow blower

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:06 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CJadamec View Post

As evidenced by the condition of the metal the crack form in the corner of the knotch in the frame. Likely due to stress risers caused by a poor chamfer in the corner. The mushroomed metal near that corner shows the crack was there for a long time allowi g the frame to flex there and distort the metal.

Finally after many hundreds of thousands of flexing cycles the rest of the frame got brittle from work hardening. The initial crack finally propigated thru the entire frame in a sudden and quick failure. As evidenced by the sharp fracture edge with light colored corrosion.

If a weld repair to the frame is planned you will either need to stress releive and retemper the effected zone around the crack. Alternately you will need to put a splice across the crack the is welded out side of the work-hardened brittle area.
    Perfect!
    1025R FILB, vintage: 2015
    54D MM mowing deck
    Imatch hitch
    2 inch receiver for three point
    "18" cart
    Piranha Tooth Bar
    Ken's hooks and differential lock pedal
    Artillian 36" forks
    Stihl equipment: Saws; MS261C, MS462C, MS661RCM and Blower; BR600 and Trimmer; FS70R and Hedge Cutter; HL 56K and Pressure Washer; RB400
    Husky log splitter

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CJadamec View Post

We jacked and tacked the frame. Cut out a fish plate and welded it in. Outta work ok and no worry about the HAZ line.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    06-28-2019 @ 11:07 PM
    Thanks
    Yike! How many hours on that baby? My '04 GX335 will turn 1K hours doing leaves this Fall and doesn't creak or groan yet.
    2013(12) 1026r TLB 54 QH front blade, 54D Auto Connect deck, ballast box, carryall

'04 GX335, 48C, Johnny Bucket Jr., PowerFlow W/7bu. bagger, 42 snow blower, 48 Plow, JD front dethatcher, 10 Cart, Little-Brown Henway, Stihl 026P/20", Stihl 241/16", Stihl BG 85 blower, Stihl KombiMotor 110 w/string trimmer/brush cutter/edger/pole saw/hedge trimmer, Snapper 21" WB, Snapper 8/24 snow blower

"...and visions of green CUT sugarplums dance in his head..."

NRA Life Member

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by HydroHarold View Post
    Yike! How many hours on that baby? My '04 GX335 will turn 1K hours doing leaves this Fall and doesn't creak or groan yet.
    Just over 1k.. Had a hard life. My partner got er fixed and back on the road.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 04:47 PM
    Thanks
    amazing how some folks don't see the obvious

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 1010 View Post
    amazing how some folks don't see the obvious
    You got that right! I see some units of various years/models that are spotless, never sat out, well maintained. I see WAY more that are trashed out by the 100hr mark. Then the customer gets pizzed when we give the repair quote! Can't win some days.

mjncad, ColonyPark and HydroHarold like this.

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:24 AM
    Thanks
    My 1969 MF135 Orchard had 11,000+ hours on it when I sold it for $3500 after buying my 2017 4044M. Pretty much only did oil changes, tune ups and a alternator the time I owned it for a unknown amount of years? I expect my 4044M to treat me as well being I am the only owner. Never split the MF135 or had to get into the Perkins 3 cylinder gas engine it was a great used tractor built like a tank. She was showing her age and had a rear main seal oil leak but it could still lift a 1100 lb bail of hay and plow lots of snow. I think I had it like 13 plus years nothing to date it with by hand? It helped build my Water tender around 11 years ago.
    http://photos.imageevent.com/willy/c...ME%20FLIP2.JPG
    I put a Ford Loader on it which could pick up a heavy load no problem.
    Last edited by JD4044M; 10-20-2018 at 04:32 PM.
    mjncad, ColonyPark and 1010 like this.

12. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements