Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Winter use checklist for x500 series

1. Top | #1
    ean

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:20 AM
    Thanks

Winter use checklist for x500 series

As the end of the mowing season is fast approaching up here in Wisconsin, I'm curious what others to do keep their mower decks in good shape come spring. Is it as simple as greasing the deck, removing built up grass under the deck, cleaning off the rest of the deck and storing in a dry place? The manual says to wax the deck (I assume to prevent rust)

For winter use, I am planning on using my x584 for snow blowing. I was going to change the oil to 5W-30 at the 8 hour break-in service. Of course I would need to remove the mower deck, attach the blower, and weights (I don't think I will need chains). Should I be charging the battery if it's only used every couple of weeks or is that fine? The tractor is only used for about 40 minutes once a week now but I wasn't sure if that was enough to keep the battery in good health throughout the winter. I also put 2 ounces per 5 gal of fuel when I get new fuel at the gas station to keep the fuel in good shape. Just curious what I should be doing as the manual is a little light on the winter guidelines.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:28 PM
    Thanks
    Sounds like you've got it covered. Grease, oil, etc.. Keep in mind that if you put chains on that machine you'll need rear wheel spacers due to the 4 wheel steering.
    JD X738
    48" deck, 3pt hitch, 54" blade w/ full hydraulics, quick attach
    48" York rake, 56" box blade, mid row buster, dethatcher, aerator, 900lb roller
    Various Heavy Hitch adapters, ball hitch, hook, 2" sleeve hitch, etc..
    3200lb. hitch mounted winch
    Polar 1700 3/4 ton cart with side rails
    Power King 5" 15HP towable chipper

Kubota G2000S w/ 4w steering, hydraulics, 60" deck

Vietnam Veteran

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:16 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,610 Times in 1,223 Posts
    I assume you are storing the tractor in an unheated garage/shed. If it is dry you shouldn't have to worry about rust. I store my X500 in an unheated shed and all I do is scrape the deck clean and grease it. It doesn't pay to wax as it has a fair amount of paint scratched off the underside from scraping the grass out. Even so, I don't have any issues. The only thing that ever forms is a wee bit of surface rust here and there.

It probably would be a good idea to keep a battery tender on the tractor if you will be using it once per week. I mean, you can certainly try it without but if temps dip into the single digits you'll probably find the battery gets lazy pretty quickly.
    North585 likes this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    ean

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:20 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    I assume you are storing the tractor in an unheated garage/shed. If it is dry you shouldn't have to worry about rust. I store my X500 in an unheated shed and all I do is scrape the deck clean and grease it. It doesn't pay to wax as it has a fair amount of paint scratched off the underside from scraping the grass out. Even so, I don't have any issues. The only thing that ever forms is a wee bit of surface rust here and there.

It probably would be a good idea to keep a battery tender on the tractor if you will be using it once per week. I mean, you can certainly try it without but if temps dip into the single digits you'll probably find the battery gets lazy pretty quickly.
    Deck will be in the shed, but I'm going to try and fit my tractor in the garage so I don't have to go out to the shed to get the tractor when it eventually snows. Garage is insulated but will still probably dip down into the single digits after the cars cool off inside. Any tenders that you recommend?

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ean View Post
    Deck will be in the shed, but I'm going to try and fit my tractor in the garage so I don't have to go out to the shed to get the tractor when it eventually snows. Garage is insulated but will still probably dip down into the single digits after the cars cool off inside. Any tenders that you recommend?
    There are various makes available but I've always been partial to the Battery Tender brand. I have a couple of the Battery Tender Jr. models and one of their solar panel units. The Jr. is a wall-transformer like unit and comes with a pigtail for clamps and eyelets. I installed the eyelet harness on my battery posts so I can quickly connect and disconnect the unit as needed.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails BT_jr.jpg  
    North585 likes this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:35 AM
    Thanks
    Everything in the manual plus pull the front tires and grease the front axles.

I scraped for years, now I pull the blades off, put baggies over the spindles (held on by a rubber band)
    and pressure wash the underside of the deck. Much easier and more thorough than scraping.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by steveontheridge2 View Post
    Everything in the manual plus pull the front tires and grease the front axles.

I scraped for years, now I pull the blades off, put baggies over the spindles (held on by a rubber band)
    and pressure wash the underside of the deck. Much easier and more thorough than scraping.
    What does greasing the front axles do? All X500 models have sealed wheel bearings.

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    Today @ 06:09 AM
    Thanks
    What does greasing the front axles do? All X500 models have sealed wheel bearings.
    The front axel has a main pivot point that needs to be greased. There are probably also ball joints on the axle that need grease. It doesn't hurt to put some light oil on any linkage pivot points as well.

As you noted the wheel bearings themselves don't need to be serviced.
    X738, 54HC deck w/ auto connect, 3PH
    Woods GBC48 box scraper
    Day dreaming of a 54" snow blower

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CJadamec View Post
    The front axel has a main pivot point that needs to be greased. There are probably also ball joints on the axle that need grease. It doesn't hurt to put some light oil on any linkage pivot points as well.

As you noted the wheel bearings themselves don't need to be serviced.
    Yes, the front axle pivot has a grease fitting but nothing on the ball joints. There are also grease zerks on the steering portion of the two front spindles.

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    Today @ 06:09 AM
    Thanks
    Yes, the front axle pivot has a grease fitting but nothing on the ball joints. There are also grease zerks on the steering portion of the two front spindles.
    Greasing those zerks to me would imply "greasing the front axel." Although I would hope those fittings are seeing grease more than once in the fall before winter sets in.
    X738, 54HC deck w/ auto connect, 3PH
    Woods GBC48 box scraper
    Day dreaming of a 54" snow blower

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast