Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Riding Mower Engine Stops for no Reason

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    11-19-2018 @ 07:48 AM
    Thanks

Riding Mower Engine Stops for no Reason

This is my first post, sorry if Iím in the wrong section

I have a John Deer riding mower model 125A since 2006 and never had any problems until this spring (will explain later). Never had to do any repairs but I do maintain the tractor regularly and every winter before I store it in the cabana I winterize it properly including oil undercoating.

Last spring, like before, the mower started within the first couple of turns and I started cutting the grass but after about 10 minutes the engine stopped. Could not find the reason and trying to start again she started with no problem. It did the same another couple of times but I was able to finish my job, takes me about 1 hour to cut the grass. Then for the rest of the summer never had any more problems.

Two weeks ago I started mulching the leaves and after about 10 minutes again the engine stopped. Somehow I felt it had to do with some kind of a sensor like the one under the seat and so I put a tape to hold the sensor closed. Now she started but stopped again after 2-3 minutes. Did the same for another 2-3 times and the same happen again, she starts for 2-3 minutes and then she stops.

When I was trying to start it I noticed when I turn the ignition switch ON sometimes nothing happens like there is no battery and then when I turn the ignition switch ON/OFF a few times the engine will start. Looked to me perhaps the ignition switch went bad because when I turn the switch sometimes I can see I have power and sometimes I have nothing.

Eventually she started again and was able to finish my job and park her inside my cabana. If it was a gas problem she will never start or when the engine starts the sound will be different but no, when she starts the engine runs like new. To my opinion it must be an electrical problem perhaps somewhere a loose wire but I donít know where to look for.

Any ideas?
    Herminator likes this.
    Nicolas

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    09-01-2019 @ 08:55 AM
    Thanks
    Sounds like potentially a simple fix.
    My guess and first place I would check are the battery connections. Take them apart and clean them up. Then check all the electrical connections. If they're the plug type, un-plug/plug them back in. Maybe put the proper tool on them (if they're not visibly corroded) and tighten them a bit.
    The next place I would check is the key switch for corrosion or a loose connection.
    Last edited by Boonie; 10-29-2018 at 11:49 AM.
    2018 X739 w/54HC MMM & Mulch Kit
    54" 4-Way Plow w/Custom Mount
    Ruegg 3PH and a gaggle of implements.

TSC = The Village of Idiots

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Today @ 05:14 AM
    Thanks
    Oskar, I'm not familiar with the 126 mower, BUT, I'd look at 2 areas. First, the seat switch. Remove the switch and put a jumper in the wires...a piece of wire will do, you don't need terminals for this "test." Next, I'd replace the ignition switch...should be only $30/$35, even in Canada! Finally, get a wiring diagram. You could (???) have control modules with times.

Try jumping seat switch first and also follow wires back to be certain they're not bare/cracked and shorting out. Bob
    '80 317 w/18hp B&S and divert valve for rear hydraulics, 3 pt hitch, 5' york rake
    '82 314 w/rear PTO for tiller
    33 tiller
    49 thrower
    54 4 way blade
    Mod 48 deck & Mod 462 TracVac

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    09-18-2019 @ 10:54 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Oskar View Post
    This is my first post, sorry if Iím in the wrong section

I have a John Deer riding mower model 125A since 2006 and never had any problems until this spring (will explain later). Never had to do any repairs but I do maintain the tractor regularly and every winter before I store it in the cabana I winterize it properly including oil undercoating.

Last spring, like before, the mower started within the first couple of turns and I started cutting the grass but after about 10 minutes the engine stopped. Could not find the reason and trying to start again she started with no problem. It did the same another couple of times but I was able to finish my job, takes me about 1 hour to cut the grass. Then for the rest of the summer never had any more problems.

Two weeks ago I started mulching the leaves and after about 10 minutes again the engine stopped. Somehow I felt it had to do with some kind of a sensor like the one under the seat and so I put a tape to hold the sensor closed. Now she started but stopped again after 2-3 minutes. Did the same for another 2-3 times and the same happen again, she starts for 2-3 minutes and then she stops.

When I was trying to start it I noticed when I turn the ignition switch ON sometimes nothing happens like there is no battery and then when I turn the ignition switch ON/OFF a few times the engine will start. Looked to me perhaps the ignition switch went bad because when I turn the switch sometimes I can see I have power and sometimes I have nothing.

Eventually she started again and was able to finish my job and park her inside my cabana. If it was a gas problem she will never start or when the engine starts the sound will be different but no, when she starts the engine runs like new. To my opinion it must be an electrical problem perhaps somewhere a loose wire but I donít know where to look for.

Any ideas?
    Check your grounds. With electronic ignitions if you lose your ground it to may also shut down. I would start there. Make sure all are not corroded and are clean and tight. That is a cheap first start to fixing this. I'd also check if you have spark when it quits.
    Bill
    MY2013 1025R TLB
    47" 2 stage front QT Snow Blower
    647 Tiller
    54D QT mowing deck W/ independent lift
    120H FEL W/ 49 in bucket
    260 BH W/ 12" bucket
    Homemade 10 Kw PTO Driven Generator (Timing Belt Driven 2000RPM input, from front PTO)
    1972 Homelite XL12 inherited from Dad going strong!
    Stihl FS90 String Trimmer
    Mantis Rotary Tiller
    ABI 5ft. Heavy Duty Landscape Rake

7. Top | #5
    glc
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:29 PM
    Thanks
    Greg from western pa

2009 2520
    FEL/61" HD bucket/replaceable cutting edge
    62D2 MMM
    IMatch Quick Hitch
    A "REAL" snow blade ---- JD 380A modded to fit
    Homemade 3PT Receiver
    Homemade Ballast Box
    Woods GB65 Box Blade

2019 JOHN DEERE X390 with 48" ACCEL DEEP DECK

MY 2520 SE SEAT MOD:

https://www.greentractortalk.com/for...d-for-the-2520

MY BALLAST BOX
    https://www.greentractortalk.com/for...llast-box.html

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    05-07-2019 @ 04:32 PM
    Thanks
    Clean up your battery, starter, ground connections. Then load test your battery , not with a volt meter, with a load tester.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:53 PM
    Thanks
    Make sure the fuse holder isn't corroded. Unplug and reinstall the fuse to make help clean it up.

What's the fuel filter look like? Has it been changed? It sounds like it may be starving for fuel. The only reason one of those engines shuts off is either a) because they have no spark or b)a fuel mix change (either getting to much air in proportion to fuel or to much fuel in proportion to air. This is why choking it when hot kills the engine) If the filter is clogged or old, it may be restricting fuel to the carb.
    Herminator likes this.
    - 2002 John Deere 4510 TLB PR,
    -Woods BB60X 60" rotary cutter
    -Countyline box blade,
    -Allis Chalmers sickle mower,
    -RED windrow rake,
    -titan 48" 3000 pound forks/bale spear
    - Farm Star rear bale spear

Yamaha Rhino 700, Yamaha Rhino 660,
    Murray 624 mower/38" deck

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    09-02-2019 @ 09:18 AM
    Thanks
    The most common issue on a stall would be that the vent hole in the gas cap is plugged. Your intermittent crank could be a connector or starter solenoid issue as others have stated but possibly unrelated to the stall.

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    11-19-2018 @ 07:48 AM
    Thanks
    Battery connections were just taken apart and cleaned and the air vent on the gas tank is cleaned. No visible corrosion on the ignition switch.

I would like to jump the seat switch but there are 4 wires on it and I donít know which ones need to be jumped. Will try to get a wiring diagram (I have a good users guide but no wiring diagram). I donít mind to get a new ignition switch if I decide thatís the final option.

I donít know where the ground is but I will find it and check as needed. Thatís a good point because Iím sure my problem is electrical related. The same for the starter will check all connections. Also I donít know where the fuse holder is but I will find it and check

Thank you all for the help, you raised some very good points which I will investigate / fix.
    Nicolas

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:29 PM
    Thanks
    What motor does it have?

Steve, Samsung On5 using Tapatalk

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast