GT 275 questions

Thread: GT 275 questions

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    11-02-2018 @ 11:25 AM
    Thanks

GT 275 questions

Ok new guy here to John Deere’s. Have been looking at a used GT275. Think it’s a 97 model. Looks be in solid shape but been told the blades won’t engage ( fig PTO needs replaced). Also says has an oil leak. Not sure if engine or elsewhere. And the muffler is shot. Other then That it’s solid. Can get it for $250. Is worth price ? Any other things should look for ?

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    09-02-2019 @ 09:18 AM
    Thanks
    How many hours on the clock? The oil leak and the PTO could both be easy fixes. The price is good if so. If I were in your shoes, arm yourself with the muffler and clutch pricing (300-500$ for the pair depending if you go OEM on the clutch) and figure if that keeps you in budget if the oil leak and other maintenance items are fairly frugal to repair. Maybe the oil leak is a leaking oil filter. Or maybe not. This was a good tractor, but has had a deck hanging on in for 20 years which could be neglected or worse yet rusted. I'm tossing these out not to dissuade you from buying, just to put into perspective with what may turn this into a less than good deal. Best of luck.

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    09-05-2019 @ 08:52 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdiesel06 View Post
    Ok new guy here to John Deere’s. Have been looking at a used GT275. Think it’s a 97 model. Looks be in solid shape but been told the blades won’t engage ( fig PTO needs replaced). Also says has an oil leak. Not sure if engine or elsewhere. And the muffler is shot. Other then That it’s solid. Can get it for $250. Is worth price ? Any other things should look for ?
    Go check it out, for $250 why not? Ebay's got a lot of parts for these old mowers so take the winter and figure out what you'll need and bargain hunt. I bought an aftermarket PTO clutch for my 345 on Ebay for a little over $100. It worked fine all summer long, 80 - 90 hours of mowing.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tsoleno View Post
    How many hours on the clock? The oil leak and the PTO could both be easy fixes. The price is good if so. If I were in your shoes, arm yourself with the muffler and clutch pricing (300-500$ for the pair depending if you go OEM on the clutch) and figure if that keeps you in budget if the oil leak and other maintenance items are fairly frugal to repair. Maybe the oil leak is a leaking oil filter. Or maybe not. This was a good tractor, but has had a deck hanging on in for 20 years which could be neglected or worse yet rusted. I'm tossing these out not to dissuade you from buying, just to put into perspective with what may turn this into a less than good deal. Best of luck.

Not sure on hours. Found new clutch on eBay for $80. Not looking to restore like new but been wanting a garden size mower for while. Don’t mind lil things here and there. I do ALOT of mower rebuilds and work just never owned a Deere. All help and Info will be greatly appreciated.

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks
    Any other suggestions ?

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    09-02-2019 @ 09:18 AM
    Thanks
    I'm unsure what suggestions that you may be looking for. If you want to become familiar with JD and are looking for a project as meyerjrj suggested, and you don't come out sweet on the deal- at least you get an education. No one can say if it is a good deal or not as we haven't checked it out. The fact is less and less of these exist every year and everything has a finite life span. It may be less of a fact that the life is actually gone at this point and more likely the owner decided that it wasn't cost effective to continue. Especially if he pays to have his things serviced. If getting elbows deep into mowers is your thing, you may have a sweet ride for years to come.

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    09-16-2019 @ 08:03 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdiesel06 View Post
    Any other suggestions ?
    Buy it. You get a Kawasaki engine (I think is far better than Courage and Intek) and serviceable rearend.
    Last edited by 4044M; 11-03-2018 at 09:28 AM.

10. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements