What is the easiest way to bypass the RIO?
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 64
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: What is the easiest way to bypass the RIO?

  1. Top | #1

    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Last Online
    07-26-2019 @ 08:17 PM
    Posts
    73
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    What is the easiest way to bypass the RIO?

    I really like this new 590, but surely don't like the RIO switch. I mow areas that require a good deal of backing up, tight turns, etc. and the RIO is just too much bother. There aren't too many videos specific to my model on how to do this, but if I've read correct info, it seems that all one needs to do is take 14 gauge wire and then wire up a quick connect spade plug to put back in the female connector end of the switch. Assuming no other wires need to be worked with? Thanks for any suggestions. I must have had to restart my blades 20 times while mowing today after they got cut off by backing up without first activating the switch. I guess part of the problem is having mowed 37 years with absolutely no safety switches whatsoever.
    Herminator likes this.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. Top | #2

    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 12:10 PM
    Location
    Wisconsin US
    Posts
    90
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    If it anything like the X758, a piece of cardboard under the PTO switch works.

    Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk
    X748 - Curtis cab; X758 - 54" mower; X754 - 54" mower; 1025 TLB
    48" Berco Snowblower, 647 tiller, Cyclone vac, 60" 7-Iron deck

  4. Top | #3

    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Last Online
    07-26-2019 @ 08:17 PM
    Posts
    73
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hummer.2012 View Post
    If it anything like the X758, a piece of cardboard under the PTO switch works.

    Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

    Piece of cardboard? Where? This RIO presses in, not pulls out like some models (if I'm correct from what I've seen on videos)

  5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. Top | #4

    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:24 PM
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    156
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 25 Times in 19 Posts
    Not sure if your 590 is like my 758 but if it is this is how I do it. Cost is 48 cents and takes no changes to the tractor at all. Pictures are rotated 90 degrees counter clockwise (sorry about that). First picture shows the needle nose spring clamp behind the PTO switch handle. Pull the handle out and stick the clamp in to hold the switch in the pulled out position. Second picture shows the storage position. Been using it for a year and it works perfectly every time.
    Ron



    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_20180922_18_58_21_Pro.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	1.17 MB 
ID:	655102 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_20180922_18_57_40_Pro.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	1.39 MB 
ID:	655104
    John Deere X758 with a 60" HC MMM deck and a 47" Front mount Blower.
    John Deere 17p cart

  7. Top | #5
    RodW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:24 AM
    Location
    NW Florida
    Posts
    366
    Thanks
    12
    Thanked 114 Times in 75 Posts
    On my X350, here are no advanced signals associated with the RIO circuit. I just took a 3" piece of wire with spades on each end and "jumped" the two sides of the female plug to complete the circuit. Cover the other plug with a piece of tape and you're done. You can reconnect it anytime you want (e.g., prior to dealer service). I added a 133 dB "freeway blaster" horn to make good use of the yellow button. I agree the it's better to pay attention to where you're going rather than fumbling with "features" while you're trying to back up. The RIO concept is noble, but misguided.
    tj1 likes this.
    X350 (2016) and Accessories
    Assorted Stihl & Grizzly tools
    My wife says that's all I need for my measly 1/2 acre...

  8. Top | #6

    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:24 PM
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    156
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 25 Times in 19 Posts
    According to the 590 owners manual this is how you disable the RIO. This is the same way the 758 is done. So using the needle nose clamp should work and needs nothing done to the wiring.

    Lift mower engagement switch (A) past the mower engagement position then depress reverse foot pedal (B) slightly.

    Ron
    Last edited by RonPol; 11-01-2018 at 03:41 PM.
    John Deere X758 with a 60" HC MMM deck and a 47" Front mount Blower.
    John Deere 17p cart

  9. Top | #7

    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Last Online
    07-26-2019 @ 08:17 PM
    Posts
    73
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RonPol View Post
    According to the 590 owners manual this is how you disable the RIO. This is the same way the 758 is done. So using the needle nose clamp should work and needs nothing done to the wiring.

    Lift mower engagement switch (A) past the mower engagement position then depress reverse foot pedal (B) slightly.

    Ron
    There is nothing in the owner's manual about disabling...at least not in mine!! Tells you how to use it (though mentions that it is discouraged to mow while going backwards (a bit ridiculous really)
    Last edited by three4rd; 11-01-2018 at 04:02 PM.

  10. Top | #8

    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Last Online
    07-26-2019 @ 08:17 PM
    Posts
    73
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RodW View Post
    On my X350, here are no advanced signals associated with the RIO circuit. I just took a 3" piece of wire with spades on each end and "jumped" the two sides of the female plug to complete the circuit. Cover the other plug with a piece of tape and you're done. You can reconnect it anytime you want (e.g., prior to dealer service). I added a 133 dB "freeway blaster" horn to make good use of the yellow button. I agree the it's better to pay attention to where you're going rather than fumbling with "features" while you're trying to back up. The RIO concept is noble, but misguided.
    So pretty much a "quick connect spade" as I mentioned initially...
    tj1 likes this.

  11. Top | #9

    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Last Online
    07-26-2019 @ 08:17 PM
    Posts
    73
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RonPol View Post
    Not sure if your 590 is like my 758 but if it is this is how I do it. Cost is 48 cents and takes no changes to the tractor at all. Pictures are rotated 90 degrees counter clockwise (sorry about that). First picture shows the needle nose spring clamp behind the PTO switch handle. Pull the handle out and stick the clamp in to hold the switch in the pulled out position. Second picture shows the storage position. Been using it for a year and it works perfectly every time.
    Ron



    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_20180922_18_58_21_Pro.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	1.17 MB 
ID:	655102 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_20180922_18_57_40_Pro.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	1.39 MB 
ID:	655104

    But again, isn't this for RIO switches that activate by pulling them out?

  12. Top | #10

    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 12:10 PM
    Location
    Wisconsin US
    Posts
    90
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by three4rd View Post
    Piece of cardboard? Where? This RIO presses in, not pulls out like some models (if I'm correct from what I've seen on videos)
    Instead of the spring clamp I use a piece of cardboard. I pull the switch out and shove the cardboard under it.

    Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk
    X748 - Curtis cab; X758 - 54" mower; X754 - 54" mower; 1025 TLB
    48" Berco Snowblower, 647 tiller, Cyclone vac, 60" 7-Iron deck

  13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •