• 2 Post By HydroHarold
  • 1 Post By IndianaJim

Thread: Plastic chute repair

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    03-10-2019 @ 09:05 AM
    Thanks

Question Plastic chute repair

Does anyone know what the best glue to use on the plastic guards and chute to fix cracks ?

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    09-10-2019 @ 11:40 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Johndeer View Post
    Does anyone know what the best glue to use on the plastic guards and chute to fix cracks ?
    Plastics are difficult to repair. Most of the difficulty comes with properly identifying the plastic material itself. Having said that, I have had good results bonding some heavy duty drainage half pipe with a product called Professional Welder. It is a two part epoxy. The label list a bunch of stuff (Materials) its good for. You should be able to find it in some of the Walmart's & auto stores near the JB Weld. If not you can find it on Amazon & I think you can get it from the company direct. I got a deal on several packages on line, but can't recall if I got it on Amazon or the manufacturer. Also, I have had situations where I was able to create a lap joint in the broken part & then I used pop rivets to make the repair. If your not concerned about appearance, the rivets make the best repair & are the longest lasting in my opinion. Good luck with.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    07-15-2019 @ 04:30 PM
    Thanks
    Welding a piece of small metal screen over the break with a craft soldering iron might work if looks don't concern you.
    HydroHarold likes this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    06-28-2019 @ 11:07 PM
    Thanks
    For a few "un-glueable" repairs I've made I used pop rivets. I usually craft a "patch" out of sheet metal or a section of plastic cat litter pail. Sometimes a patch on both sides is wise for high vibration locations. Use plenty of 1/8" or 5/16" rivets long enough to accept a rivet washer on each side of the rivet.

Hey, chemists, it's the 21st Century, can't somebody come up with a "do-all" glue for these miracle plastics that doesn't require an arm and leg to purchase like those "molecular" glue kits?
    mjncad and Herminator like this.
    2013(12) 1026r TLB 54 QH front blade, 54D Auto Connect deck, ballast box, carryall

'04 GX335, 48C, Johnny Bucket Jr., PowerFlow W/7bu. bagger, 42 snow blower, 48 Plow, JD front dethatcher, 10 Cart, Little-Brown Henway, Stihl 026P/20", Stihl 241/16", Stihl BG 85 blower, Stihl KombiMotor 110 w/string trimmer/brush cutter/edger/pole saw/hedge trimmer, Snapper 21" WB, Snapper 8/24 snow blower

"...and visions of green CUT sugarplums dance in his head..."

NRA Life Member

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Today @ 06:53 PM
    Thanks
    You could always try a plastic welder. I've never tried to use one but I do know they are out there.

Chicago Electric Welding Systems Plastic Welding Kit 80 Watt Iron - Power Heat Guns - Amazon.com
    X738, 54HC deck w/ auto connect, 3PH
    Woods GBC48 box scraper
    Day dreaming of a 54" snow blower

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:59 PM
    Thanks
    A plastic welder is the best way.
    If its ABS, go get some ABS cement from the Big Box store near the plumbing cement. It works well, because its basically ABS plastic dissolved in Acetone.
    Ive done this before on parts and it works pretty well if you give it time to cure and use enough of it.

What I generally do when Im not concerned about looks is to take an old soldering iron and "weld" it the cheap way.
    You can buy sheets of ABS at most hobby stores pretty darn cheap. Use small chunks scraped off with a knife as filler.

The rivet method above works well too, and is less likely to have issues down the road because the break cant really break again like it can with the other fixes.
    You could also do a combination of a few methods.

They do make plastic glues, but there are too many types for one to cover them all.
    A company I used to work for supplied different adhesives to a large manufacturer. They had, if I recall, 4 different types of polymers they used to bond. We supplied 4 different adhesives for them. That stuff was so strong, on the right material, that if it were stressed, it would break somewhere other than the repaired area. Most of it was made by Loctite.
    HydroHarold likes this.
    Jim B.

318, 49 Thrower, 2 80 Carts, 17AT cart, 54 Blade, 12" Brinly Plow, 30 Hydraulic Tiller w/extension & Briney 3-Pt hitch, 50 deck w/JRCO Cart Bagger.
    2025R, 120R loader w/Kens Bolt On Hooks, 260B backhoe w/8" & 16" buckets, Titan 36" forks, Imatch hitch, Weight Bracket/Hitch.

Exmark Lazer Z HP 52"
    Husqvarna 550XP, 562XP, 55 Rancher

9. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements