• 1 Post By Firemark
  • 2 Post By Pedals2Paddles

Thread: do you keep your weights on

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Today @ 07:05 AM
    Thanks

do you keep your weights on

I've been noticing a fair amount of people leave their weights on their wheels all year round in Michigan. Would that extra weight flatten the grass?

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:57 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,507 Times in 1,234 Posts
    What size tractor are referring too, and how many wheel weights makes a difference too.
    TJR345 likes this.
    Pat
    #compactfarming
    2025R W/120R FEL/Titan 36" Pallet Forks w/round bale spears/Ken's Bolt on Hooks / 72" moose plow / Kawasaki Mule(The Donkey) 610xc w/ Warn winch
    60D Auto Connect w/mulch kit and Gator G6 blades
    County Line- 48" Tiller & middle buster
    Frontier- BB5048L & DH1066 & RC2060
    JD iMATCH
    Homemade cultivator/hiller/chisel plow
    Heavy Hitch Tooth Bar
    Watch the 2025R on YouTube:
    Elk Creek Acres

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    09-16-2019 @ 06:08 PM
    Thanks
    Tractor info would be beneficial.

From what I see most times, on the 1025s, guys run the 50# weights. Those arent going to hurt anything.
    Also, being in Michigan, you have very sandy soil. Its actually kinda hard to compact that too much. In Indiana, we have clay, and that compacts GREAT!
    I always run wheel weights. Keeps the center of gravity a bit lower, and really, the extra 100# (120# in my case) isnt going to hurt anything any more than running the tractor over it without them would.

Now, if you are stacking two weights on top of starter weights on each side, you might want to remove some...but this too depends on the tractor, its use, and the size and number of weights used.
    PJR832 likes this.
    Jim B.

318, 49 Thrower, 2 80 Carts, 17AT cart, 54 Blade, 12" Brinly Plow, 30 Hydraulic Tiller w/extension & Briney 3-Pt hitch, 50 deck w/JRCO Cart Bagger.
    2025R, 120R loader w/Kens Bolt On Hooks, 260B backhoe w/8" & 16" buckets, Titan 36" forks, Imatch hitch, Weight Bracket/Hitch.

Exmark Lazer Z HP 52"
    Husqvarna 550XP, 562XP, 55 Rancher

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Today @ 07:05 AM
    Thanks
    The tractors they I've seen them on are your standard John Deere lawn mower. I ask because I thought it was kind of weird, but i also read something that said to alternate the direction you mow so not too flatten the grass

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:56 PM
    Thanks
    I have 70lb starter weights and 50 lb add ons all the time. They work great and are fine for mowing too.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 33648456-5C67-450A-B972-9038463F64AE.jpeg  
    TJR345 likes this.
    2016-1025 FILB, 54" FEL, 54" Front Blower, 54" MMM, Brush Guards, Front and rear LED work lights
    BXpanded-backhoe thumb, bucket teeth, backhoe dolly
    Kens hooks w/ shackles (3 on Bucket), Diff Lock Pedal, backhoe steps
    Artillian Blinders
    Bush hog SBX 480 box blade, BX 600 box Blade
    Frontier LR2060L landscape Rake w/ gauge wheels, subsoiler
    Woods RBC 60 Rear Blade
    Land Pride QH-15 quick hitch
    Everything Attachments 60" Pine Needle Raked
    Garber Easy Seed 60" drop spreader

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:56 PM
    Thanks
    I have 70lb starter weights and 50 lb add ons all the time. They work great and are fine for mowing too.
    2016-1025 FILB, 54" FEL, 54" Front Blower, 54" MMM, Brush Guards, Front and rear LED work lights
    BXpanded-backhoe thumb, bucket teeth, backhoe dolly
    Kens hooks w/ shackles (3 on Bucket), Diff Lock Pedal, backhoe steps
    Artillian Blinders
    Bush hog SBX 480 box blade, BX 600 box Blade
    Frontier LR2060L landscape Rake w/ gauge wheels, subsoiler
    Woods RBC 60 Rear Blade
    Land Pride QH-15 quick hitch
    Everything Attachments 60" Pine Needle Raked
    Garber Easy Seed 60" drop spreader

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:32 PM
    Thanks
    If you are concerned about the wheel weights, what about your weight sitting on the seat. That is bound to be more than the wheel weights. So maybe you should just walk alongside the tractor so you don't add more weight to the tractor???? Oh wait, that might be putting more weight per square inch. That would not be any help.

Seriously, do you really want to handle the removal and adding of those weights on a regular basis. They are not something that are easy on and easy off. They just are not designed to be taken off once they are on the tractor. Besides, that is too much like work. I can find plenty of work without needing to do something like that. Mine weigh 110# each and I can't even lift something that heavy. I would have to use the loader to lift them and that might be a problem in this case.

That reminds me. I once knew of a guy that had a wheelbarrow. Then he got a tractor with a loader. He GAVE away the wheelbarrow......

Dave
    JD 4066R CAB
    JD H180 FEL with SSQA brackets, JD iMatch, JD Ballast Box & ext, JD pull behind seed spreader
    Frontier RB2196H 8 ft rear blade/hyd angle, Frontier BB1065 Box Blade, Befco 3pt 110 inch RFM
    48" pallet forks, KK 3pt Boom Pole, Northern Tool 3pt middle buster, 2 bottom Dearborn plow
    County Line post hole digger, Rhino 3pt 10ft brush hog, Land Pride 8ft rock rake
    Fit Rite Hydraulics 3pt Top Link, front 3pt adapter for SSQA, 7 1/2 ft Field Roller, 8ft Dearborn tandem disk

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:33 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TOPHER5150 View Post
    I also read something that said to alternate the direction you mow so not too flatten the grass
    This will be far more beneficial than taking wheel weights off. If you constantly mow the same tracks every time, you'll end up with compacted ruts, with or without weights. I rotate diagonals, up and down, and across to help prevent this.
    TJR345 and TOPHER5150 like this.
    1025r | 60D | Forks | AV20F Grapple & 3rd SCV | 60" Box Blade | Danuser G20/40 Auger | Titan Pine Straw Rake | Kenny's hooks, springs, & diff lock pedal | LED Lighting Upgrades | HF Quick Hitch w/ extended top hook | Heavy Hitch weight bracket & toothbar | Custom loader snow plow

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    09-16-2019 @ 06:08 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedals2Paddles View Post
    This will be far more beneficial than taking wheel weights off. If you constantly mow the same tracks every time, you'll end up with compacted ruts, with or without weights. I rotate diagonals, up and down, and across to help prevent this.
    True, but it also depends on the type of soil in his area.
    Around here, I can get away with mowing over the same areas, but thats with my zero turn. If I were still mowing with the 318, Id use a different pattern each time.

As to seeing mowers with them, its likely due to center of gravity.
    My 318, the 312 before it, and the 110 before it, all wore single notch cast iron wheel weights all the time.
    The reason was because the lawn had several hills, and without the weights, it would slide sideways on the hills.
    I no longer mow with it, except in the Fall to clean up leaves, and we arent on the same kind of property my Grandfather was, but it still wears the weights. They help immensely with traction when pulling heavy loads.
    Jim B.

318, 49 Thrower, 2 80 Carts, 17AT cart, 54 Blade, 12" Brinly Plow, 30 Hydraulic Tiller w/extension & Briney 3-Pt hitch, 50 deck w/JRCO Cart Bagger.
    2025R, 120R loader w/Kens Bolt On Hooks, 260B backhoe w/8" & 16" buckets, Titan 36" forks, Imatch hitch, Weight Bracket/Hitch.

Exmark Lazer Z HP 52"
    Husqvarna 550XP, 562XP, 55 Rancher

12. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements