Any thoughts on using a snow blower attachment (for my 590) as opposed to a blade?
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Any thoughts on using a snow blower attachment (for my 590) as opposed to a blade?

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    07-26-2019 @ 08:17 PM
    Thanks

Any thoughts on using a snow blower attachment (for my 590) as opposed to a blade?

I hate to duplicate threads, but since my other one specifically asked about attaching/detaching a blade, I thought I'd better start one just to get thoughts on the advantages / disadvantages of using a blower over a blade. Not sure which way I want to go here. I bought a new 590 but didn't get any snow equipment with it (long story...explained in the other thread!)

I watched a video of a 590 owner switching his mower to blower and I gotta say that the blower that hooks on to these things really looks a bit unwieldy and heavy (he strongly suggested using a dolley to move it around).

One consideration I'm looking at very carefully is trying to work with items that are the least amount of weight and thus easiest to move around. As I'm getting older, I'm not as much a fan of lifting and moving large, weighty items! So the easiest (and yet effective) solution is probably the best. From watching the video, I'm truly wondering if simply buying a snow blower that is all ready to go might be a heck of a lot better than going through all the hassle of hooking the Deere blower up to the tractor!

Thanks for any thoughts...
    Keith
    Last edited by three4rd; 11-16-2018 at 11:50 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 06:53 PM
    Thanks
    Not to take a side in the heated snow blower Vs. plow battle that seems to exist, but here's my thoughts

Plow is much cheaper and can a plow can be used for more than snow. You are used to all the up and downs of plowing as you've done it for years. In heavy snow it can be very slow and finding places to put all the snow can at times be difficult.

Snow blowers are significantly more expensive and have more things that can brake. They are only useful when it snows. Depending on the amount of snow and how smooth your driveway is they don't always clear the snow well. On the positive side of things though blowers can at times especially in heavy snow be much faster than plows. You will never run out of space to put the snow. They can sometimes get to more of the snow than a plow can which could cut down on your shoveling around obstacles and edges.

Personally I would much rather have a snow blower than a plow. That is as much a personal choice as it is a practical choice based on how my property is set up. My drive way is long, steep, has multiple bends, and there is nowhere to push the snow into. For now I'm stuck with my Ariens walk behind until my JD get a nice new attachment.
    X738, 54HC deck w/ auto connect, 3PH
    Woods GBC48 box scraper
    Day dreaming of a 54" snow blower

4. The Following User Says Thank You to CJadamec For This Useful Post:

John Deere 1025R TLB†(11-18-2018)

5. Top | #3

Last Online
    06-16-2019 @ 06:51 PM
    Thanks
    I've been using a JD plow for 25 years. Unless you live in the snowbelt, it is way better than a snow blower. As has been mentioned blade is cheaper and less to brake. Another big advantage in snows < 12" is that it is way faster. I can have my driveway plowed and be back inside drinking coffee before the snow blower guy could make one pass.

In heavy snow areas, a snowblower may be more appropriate as it throws the snow that otherwise would be too heavy/far to move with a plow. Snowblowers also leave a more pleasant appearance with their neatly cut paths. another advantage is on stone drives. It's a bit easier to get most of the snow off without picking up gravel. Then again, if you do pick up stones, they could shear a pin the blower.

The weight of the plow isn't too bad, and it can be put on a cheap dolly if there is a need to move it about. As for hook up and removal: a snap on these JDs. And no shaft to fuse with like with a blower.
    BigJim55 likes this.

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4

Last Online
    03-02-2019 @ 06:20 PM
    Thanks
    I have used a walk behind blower for years. Much rather ride then walk. lol Especially with a large area.

If you don't have room to push the snow off the area you want to clear go with the blower. A blade will only stack the snow a few feet high. So this requires more room to put it.

Another note is my plow is almost useless for back dragging. Maybe the newer lift design works better.
    2014 X540 with HDAP tires, 54" deck, brush guard, arm rests and cargo bag.
    JD 48" plow with angle from seat kit & heavy duty skid shoes.
    4 suitcase weights and chains.
    JD tow behind spreader.
    JD 42" lawn sweeper.
    JD 10P cart.
    JD JS61 RWD walk behind mower.
    Stihl KM110 power head with pole saw, shaft extension, power scythe, curved shaft edger, 2 straight shaft cutters (string & blade).
    Stihl MS180-CBE 16" saw.
    Stihl SH86C hand held blower vac.

8. Top | #5

Last Online
    09-17-2019 @ 05:25 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gittyup View Post
    Another big advantage in snows < 12" is that it is way faster. I can have my driveway plowed and be back inside drinking coffee before the snow blower guy could make one pass.

Not sure what kind of blower you are talking about- My 590 and 47 inch blower can blow rather quickly, under 6 inches I can probably move snow close to as fast as a tractor with plow, over 6 inches the 47 inch snow blower and 590 combo not even close the blower much, much faster. Plus in heavier snow it blows snow away from driveway, with plow you run out of room. I get some people just like to use plow, and in that case get the plow, it works , with a 590 a plow will be more work in heavier storms as you will have to go out to plow several times so Tractor can move the snow. With snow blower you can out once and blow 25 inches of snow. Easy answer here, if you live in area that only gets a few snow events a year and they are usually under 6 inches, go with plow, cheaper solution and works well in light snow events. If you live in area with a lot of snow and heavy storms, the plow will work, but the blower hands down better solution As far as weight of blower, buy a $12 dolly from harbor freight and push snow blower around with one hand
    John Deere X590- 47 inch Snow blower

9. Top | #6

Last Online
    Today @ 08:50 PM
    Thanks
    What side driveway do you own? Do you have space to on all sides or at least a few to pile the snow rather than just leaving it 2" off the edge of the driveway? Rather than putting the blower back on a dolly can you just get a large stall mat and drop the snowblower on it prior to removal? At the end of the season stack it on the dolly.

I have an x758 and with the front QH it's juuuuust not high enough off the ground for me to lower my 54" blade on it, unlatch it, and back out. The whole machine or at least the QH needs 2-3" more of height. I effectively lift the blade off the QH each time. Luckily I'm younger and in good health.

I just got a larger driveway with my new home and have the wife's approval to buy a 54" snowblower if I want it. This is because she didn't want me using a 28" Ariens walk behind and being outside for hours on end. I've had the blade, which I picked up used, for awhile and only used it on dirt and mulch so first time for snow. This first storm of WET 8" wasn't bad at all for me and makes me think I'll wait for a bad one to hit, get my @ss kicked, and then buy the blower. Like every other dummy
    2017 John Deere x758 w/54" HC mower, 14bu powerflow, 4-way QH, FM dethatcher, 18 steel cart, CTA 66" blade
    2018 Ariens Hydro Pro EFI 28" #313 926068 - SOLD
    2017 Ariens 24" Platinum SHO EFI 921053 - SOLD

10. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:20 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nastorino View Post
    What side driveway do you own? Do you have space to on all sides or at least a few to pile the snow rather than just leaving it 2" off the edge of the driveway? Rather than putting the blower back on a dolly can you just get a large stall mat and drop the snowblower on it prior to removal? At the end of the season stack it on the dolly.

I have an x758 and with the front QH it's juuuuust not high enough off the ground for me to lower my 54" blade on it, unlatch it, and back out. The whole machine or at least the QH needs 2-3" more of height. I effectively lift the blade off the QH each time. Luckily I'm younger and in good health.

I just got a larger driveway with my new home and have the wife's approval to buy a 54" snowblower if I want it. This is because she didn't want me using a 28" Ariens walk behind and being outside for hours on end. I've had the blade, which I picked up used, for awhile and only used it on dirt and mulch so first time for snow. This first storm of WET 8" wasn't bad at all for me and makes me think I'll wait for a bad one to hit, get my @ss kicked, and then buy the blower. Like every other dummy
    HAs your wife ever met mine?? One of the exact same reasons I bought the x580 and blade this past spring and sold my Ariens Pro 28. Figure it out. I'm 67, the driveway is 3 cars wide 275 feet long and up hill from the street. The Pro 28 weighs in at a light 420lbs, and I've had one heart attack already. All of that means no more blower for me. And just like up here in Boston we had 10" of that nasty wet snow to deal with. The 580 did a great job thought. And lastly, I have to lift my blade off of the QH as well.
    mark02tj likes this.
    JD X738
    48" deck, 3pt hitch, 54" blade w/ full hydraulics, quick attach
    48" York rake, 56" box blade, mid row buster, dethatcher, aerator, 900lb roller
    Various Heavy Hitch adapters, ball hitch, hook, 2" sleeve hitch, etc..
    3200lb. hitch mounted winch
    Polar 1700 3/4 ton cart with side rails
    Power King 5" 15HP towable chipper

Kubota G2000S w/ 4w steering, hydraulics, 60" deck

Vietnam Veteran

11. Top | #8

Last Online
    Today @ 07:55 PM
    Thanks
    Iíve had to buy a blower mid winter due to plowing and running out of space for banks.

A blower isnít required every year, but when it is there is no alternative. As for speed, I can run full speed in up to 8Ē of snow. If I take a 3í bite that strip is completely done. The old single stage blowers had some times of being slower then plowing, but thatís not the case when you have 20hp turning a 47.

12. Top | #9

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BOBL View Post
    HAs your wife ever met mine?? One of the exact same reasons I bought the x580 and blade this past spring and sold my Ariens Pro 28. Figure it out. I'm 67, the driveway is 3 cars wide 275 feet long and up hill from the street. The Pro 28 weighs in at a light 420lbs, and I've had one heart attack already. All of that means no more blower for me. And just like up here in Boston we had 10" of that nasty wet snow to deal with. The 580 did a great job thought. And lastly, I have to lift my blade off of the QH as well.

Haha one in the same I guess! I had a hydro pro 28 as well, itís an incredible machine and while I regret selling it to not have a backup, I didnít want the payment. Iím trying to figure out a better storage removal method. Mine is a 10íx600í drive at the top thereís room to park 4 cars and then straight ahead thereís 2 spots in front of the 2 car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2017 John Deere x758 w/54" HC mower, 14bu powerflow, 4-way QH, FM dethatcher, 18 steel cart, CTA 66" blade

13. Top | #10

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rydplrs View Post
    Iíve had to buy a blower mid winter due to plowing and running out of space for banks.

A blower isnít required every year, but when it is there is no alternative. As for speed, I can run full speed in up to 8Ē of snow. If I take a 3í bite that strip is completely done. The old single stage blowers had some times of being slower then plowing, but thatís not the case when you have 20hp turning a 47.

What your describing is exactly what my plan is. But then Iím like every other idiot that walks in and I hate being an idiot. I pride myself on Being prepared for nearly anything. Since Iíve never lived on this side of the state before Iím not sure how much weather has changed or if itís wetter. CT is weird with how it accrues snow and since Iím not in either norther corner itís not a ton nor frequent.

I plan on getting the 54Ē when i pull the trigger. My dealer will also install a single or dual actuator for the chute rotation and chute pitch. Apparently they make a custom harness and they use a similar toggle to that like the headlights....if I understood them correctly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast