Yes or No to the Winter Grill Cover for carbureted engines?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Yes or No to the Winter Grill Cover for carbureted engines?

1. Top | #1
    ean

Last Online
    Today @ 07:37 PM
    Thanks

Yes or No to the Winter Grill Cover for carbureted engines?

Going into my first winter I'm curious how many of you that have carbureted engines are using the winter engine covers? It sounds like some recommend it while others say they've gotten by without any issues. Winters here in WI will go down to below 0F, just wondering what everyone's experience has been.

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:12 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ean View Post
    Going into my first winter I'm curious how many of you that have carbureted engines are using the winter engine covers? It sounds like some recommend it while others say they've gotten by without any issues. Winters here in WI will go down to below 0F, just wondering what everyone's experience has been.

Thanks!
    I wouldn't worry too much about it on a gasser. I would be more concerned about using the proper weight oil (engine and hydro) for the cold climate.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:36 PM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,490 Times in 1,399 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ean View Post

Thanks!
    To a point, the cold air will aid in making more horsepower but I don't know the threshold for air that cold.
    For a diesel, I blocked the side panel vents with thin cardboard on the inside of the panels so it doesn't look like Jethro Clampett engineered it. For the diesel, it helped maintain higher operating temps. When outside temps warmed up, the panels needed to go pronto or it would cause the tractor to run warmer than it should. For a gas engine, I doubt it will make any difference in winter performance.

I would expect the cold to be real hard on the battery, not to mention making the oil thick causing the engine to crank slower.

Also, you will likely find the hydraulic controls harder to move and the pedals much stiffer until the hydro fluid warms up. Even those machines with power steering will steer harder due to the thick fluid. Make sure you let the machine warm up before working it too hard. Some of the lift and angle levers can become very stiff when the the temps are below zero.

I would make sure to run treatment in my gasoline to prevent any moisture as that will dampen performance plus cause difficulties if there is too much moisture.
    HydroHarold and johnH123 like this.

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    09-16-2019 @ 06:08 PM
    Thanks
    Covers also depend on which way the air is flowing through the engine.
    Quite a few carbureted engines exhaust cooling air out the front, and in that case, you will want to block the other side, assuming you do want to do it.

As to blocking it, I cant see it helping much.
    The reason its done on diesel cars/trucks, etc, is because diesels dont generally produce heat until they are under load. Idling a diesel wont bring it up to operating temp, and thus no heat inside.
    The engines do get plenty warm enough to heat the oil, etc, so its not really a concern on tractors without heaters.
    HydroHarold and MDrew like this.
    Jim B.

318, 49 Thrower, 2 80 Carts, 17AT cart, 54 Blade, 12" Brinly Plow, 30 Hydraulic Tiller w/extension & Briney 3-Pt hitch, 50 deck w/JRCO Cart Bagger.
    2025R, 120R loader w/Kens Bolt On Hooks, 260B backhoe w/8" & 16" buckets, Titan 36" forks, Imatch hitch, Weight Bracket/Hitch.

Exmark Lazer Z HP 52"
    Husqvarna 550XP, 562XP, 55 Rancher

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:50 PM
    Thanks
    If you have an air cooled engine and using a blower/thrower then yes,it'll keep it from icing up from sucking in the snow dust.Liquid cooled not necessary but wouldn't hurt.
    Tom

2019 X590 with power mulch control and PF bagger
    30" mechanical tiller
    02 X595 with 62" deck,front thatcher and powerflow PTO kit
    3pt hitch with Heavy Hitch 45 JD loader
    12 JD suitcase weights
    JD/Brinly 3pt plow
    Frontier SS1036 3pt pto spreader
    (2) JS63C walk behind mowers
    TS 105 JD weed wacker
    tow behind 15 gal. sprayer
    Turftime 60" lawn roller
    Turftime 54" 3pt core aerator

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:25 PM
    Thanks
    You MUST MUST MUST be AWARE AWARE of the AIR FLOW for cooling on the engine.

Air drawn from rear of tractor (Horizontal crank) and pushed out the front NO COVERING on front

Air drawn from top to bottom (Vertical crank) with or without liquid cooling, covering the front will depend on location of the carb, most of these have vents on top of the hood for the air to be drawn from.

Air drawn from front to rear (Horizontal crank) with or without liquid cooling, most will not, because it can over heat engine even with liquid cooling. You might want to use a adjustable shutter system, which would cost a lot. I do not know of these except on large tractors and trucks.

Check your owners manual for winter operation and weatherization steps
    Last edited by bloodrunsgreen; 11-20-2018 at 07:47 PM.
    HydroHarold likes this.

9. Top | #7
    ean

Last Online
    Today @ 07:37 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SulleyBear View Post
    To a point, the cold air will aid in making more horsepower but I don't know the threshold for air that cold.
    For a diesel, I blocked the side panel vents with thin cardboard on the inside of the panels so it doesn't look like Jethro Clampett engineered it. For the diesel, it helped maintain higher operating temps. When outside temps warmed up, the panels needed to go pronto or it would cause the tractor to run warmer than it should. For a gas engine, I doubt it will make any difference in winter performance.

I would expect the cold to be real hard on the battery, not to mention making the oil thick causing the engine to crank slower.

Also, you will likely find the hydraulic controls harder to move and the pedals much stiffer until the hydro fluid warms up. Even those machines with power steering will steer harder due to the thick fluid. Make sure you let the machine warm up before working it too hard. Some of the lift and angle levers can become very stiff when the the temps are below zero.

I would make sure to run treatment in my gasoline to prevent any moisture as that will dampen performance plus cause difficulties if there is too much moisture.
    I've got an x584 (air cooled and carbureted). While not in use the battery tender jr is plugged into the battery. I haven't yet changed the oil as I'm only at ~5hrs. Not sure if the oil from the factor is 10w30 or 5w30. I do add stabil to the fuel when filling up at the gas station and keep the tank full in the tractor to try and minimize moisture. Thanks for all the advice.
    HydroHarold likes this.

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:38 PM
    Thanks

More info

I didn't see any machine info on your signature so this may or may not be applicable.

Even in a much warmer climate, we use a grill cover on the tractors when feeding the cows. If we don't, the engine doesn't run long or hard enough to really get up to operating temp so there's little chance of getting the oil up to temp to cook off any unburned fuel that slips by the rings. Plus as someone else said, it's faster to get heat in the cab. We don't do anything fancy, slap a piece of cardboard or old political sign on the radiator grill and the fan keeps it stuck there until we shut back down in the shed.

The tractor cooling system has enough capacity to keep it at operating temps in 100 degree summer when running under load and with dust in the radiator. The fan flow constriction only helps a little when it's 20 degrees outside, allows the thermostat to open quicker, oil temps come up etc.

If you are running an air cooled gasser, I'd be more careful as you could get hot spots from the cylinder fins not getting any air flow. The overall temp might be fine but the hot spots could be a problem.

Treefarmer
    John Deere 790, 300 loader w Ken's Bolt on Hooks & Piranha tooth bar, grapple, back blade, box blade, Bush Hog mower, couple of red tractors, hay equipment, various old stuff some red, one orange, some I don't remember

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    Today @ 11:16 AM
    Thanks
    I used my 314 (air cooled & carbureted) for 35+ years in CT with temps from 0 to 40. Used Mobil 1 10w-30 oil and tractor stored in unheated building. It cranked a little slower when 0, but always started. I'd let it sit at half throttle for 3 or 5 minutes then full throttle and start blowing snow. No cardboard/covers/shields and no problems! Bob
    HydroHarold and MDrew like this.
    '80 317 w/18hp B&S and divert valve for rear hydraulics, 3 pt hitch, 5' york rake
    '82 314 w/rear PTO for tiller
    33 tiller
    49 thrower
    54 4 way blade
    Mod 48 deck & Mod 462 TracVac

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    03-02-2019 @ 06:20 PM
    Thanks
    If I remember correctly. The JD accessory catalog only listed grill covers for the 300/500 series tractors only with air cooled engines. It covers the front as well as the side hood vents. It's hard to make out the side vent covers in most of the pictures.
    Use of the cover is supposedly to prevent carb icing.
    MDrew likes this.
    2014 X540 with HDAP tires, 54" deck, brush guard, arm rests and cargo bag.
    JD 48" plow with angle from seat kit & heavy duty skid shoes.
    4 suitcase weights and chains.
    JD tow behind spreader.
    JD 42" lawn sweeper.
    JD 10P cart.
    JD JS61 RWD walk behind mower.
    Stihl KM110 power head with pole saw, shaft extension, power scythe, curved shaft edger, 2 straight shaft cutters (string & blade).
    Stihl MS180-CBE 16" saw.
    Stihl SH86C hand held blower vac.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast