My X495 died on me yesterday, and just before a big storm is supposed to hit us this week.
I was out with it clearing the driveway with the 54" blade, scraping the packed snow. I shut it down while I moved my truck out of the way. Went back to start the x495, dash lights and glow plugs came on like normal, turned the key and everything went dead. No dash lights, nothing, like I unplugged the battery. Checked voltage, was at around 4 volts. So put charger on it on high charge, was climbing slowly, 9-10v. Managed to get it started, voltage was at 10v. Brought the idle up bout half throttle, voltage jumped to 18v. Closed the throttle and shut it down, and got fried wire smell and smoke coming out from under the console/dash. Voltage was back to 4v. Unplugged the alternator and put charger back on to get it started and back in the garage. Once in the garage, disconnected the battery and pulled out the fireball wisky!
This morning, battery is back to 12+v, without charger. Looked around for a fried wire but havent seen any yet. From my searches on the forum, a short somewhere. Never had this issue before, batt is fairly new, (2yrs) I also just did the service on it and got it set up to plow and blow snow, and did the rust treatment for the frame rails and underneath. Im guessing that something shorted out with the rust proofing spray. Can anyone shed some light on this dilemma, point me in a possible direction to search. I tried touching the battery cable to the post, no spark or pop, no drain/short right now.
Thx in advance!