• 1 Post By SulleyBear

Thread: X495 Starting / charging / fried wire's issue

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    12-17-2018 @ 12:14 AM
    Thanks

X495 Starting / charging / fried wire's issue

Evening gentlemen,
    My X495 died on me yesterday, and just before a big storm is supposed to hit us this week.
    I was out with it clearing the driveway with the 54" blade, scraping the packed snow. I shut it down while I moved my truck out of the way. Went back to start the x495, dash lights and glow plugs came on like normal, turned the key and everything went dead. No dash lights, nothing, like I unplugged the battery. Checked voltage, was at around 4 volts. So put charger on it on high charge, was climbing slowly, 9-10v. Managed to get it started, voltage was at 10v. Brought the idle up bout half throttle, voltage jumped to 18v. Closed the throttle and shut it down, and got fried wire smell and smoke coming out from under the console/dash. Voltage was back to 4v. Unplugged the alternator and put charger back on to get it started and back in the garage. Once in the garage, disconnected the battery and pulled out the fireball wisky!
    This morning, battery is back to 12+v, without charger. Looked around for a fried wire but havent seen any yet. From my searches on the forum, a short somewhere. Never had this issue before, batt is fairly new, (2yrs) I also just did the service on it and got it set up to plow and blow snow, and did the rust treatment for the frame rails and underneath. Im guessing that something shorted out with the rust proofing spray. Can anyone shed some light on this dilemma, point me in a possible direction to search. I tried touching the battery cable to the post, no spark or pop, no drain/short right now.
    Thx in advance!

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Thanks
    Connected the battery tonight and attached a volt meter. 12.5v. When I turned the key on, voltage drops to 3-4 volts with a low buzzing coming from the preheat relay. Still no smoked/melted wires that I could find.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:50 PM
    Thanks
    Check the wire harness that goes over the back of the engine from one side to the other.I had 2 wires that rubbed through and was shorting out on the block on my X595.
    GreenMachineX495 likes this.
    Tom

2019 X590 with power mulch control and PF bagger
    30" mechanical tiller
    02 X595 with 62" deck,front thatcher and powerflow PTO kit
    3pt hitch with Heavy Hitch 45 JD loader
    12 JD suitcase weights
    JD/Brinly 3pt plow
    Frontier SS1036 3pt pto spreader
    (2) JS63C walk behind mowers
    TS 105 JD weed wacker
    tow behind 15 gal. sprayer
    Turftime 60" lawn roller
    Turftime 54" 3pt core aerator

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:57 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenMachineX495 View Post
    Connected the battery tonight and attached a volt meter. 12.5v. When I turned the key on, voltage drops to 3-4 volts with a low buzzing coming from the preheat relay. Still no smoked/melted wires that I could find.
    Seems you have a bad battery. One or more shorted/dead cells. This will cause the voltage regulator to go crazy and overcharge. You may be needing a new regulator and battery. Likely the smell came from the voltage regulator or its' wires.

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:02 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenMachineX495 View Post
    The fact that the voltage drops immediately when the key is turned to the start position indicates a dead short in that portion of the circuit. A quick test would be to turn on the lights, but not start the engine. If you can keep the lights on for a few minutes check the battery voltage while they are on. The buzzing you hear coming from the relay is caused by the relay to attempting to engage with very low voltage. This does not necessarily mean a bad relay. The VR could be shorted to ground, but I would look there last.

If you have a charger with a 200 amp start circuit you can also put that on the battery, set the charger to 200 amp start, and try to start the tractor. If it starts and remains running I would first replace the battery and try again.
    JD X738
    48" deck, 3pt hitch, 54" blade w/ full hydraulics, quick attach
    48" York rake, 56" box blade, mid row buster, dethatcher, aerator, 900lb roller
    Various Heavy Hitch adapters, ball hitch, hook, 2" sleeve hitch, etc..
    3200lb. hitch mounted winch
    Polar 1700 3/4 ton cart with side rails
    Power King 5" 15HP towable chipper

Kubota G2000S w/ 4w steering, hydraulics, 60" deck

Vietnam Veteran

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    05-07-2019 @ 04:32 PM
    Thanks
    Maybe look at the key switch also

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    09-08-2019 @ 10:02 PM
    Thanks
    Perhaps try brandy next time rather than Fireball? I think it stabilizes the voltage better.
    2018 Deere 6105E Tractor fully optioned
    2016 Deere 5085E Tractor
    2015 Deere 5065E Tractor
    H 260 Loader
    H310 Loader
    HX-15 Batwing Cutter
    MX-8 Cutter
    Cat 2 I match Quick Hitch
    Grapples
    Box Scraper
    Deere X485 Lawn Tractor
    Vintage Deere 160 Lawn Tractor

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:42 PM
    Thanks
    Here is an excerpt from the TM2024 that should be of some use...

X495 electrical op and diag from TM2024.pdf

Chuck

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    Thanks
    Thank you gentlemen, especially the brandy! lol
    Monday night after I read your suggestions, I went out to play with it. I cant put headlights on without the key on so, hooked up the voltmeter to the battery, 12.5, then tried to jump the starter without the key on, see if it would kick over. Nada zilch! Voltage went to 3volts. So took that one off and connected one of the car batteries I have in the garage. Connected cables and voltmeter. Jumped the starter and she turned over fine. So the moment I was dreading, turned the key, glow plugs on, and start and fired right up. At first the alternator wasnt charging, but then kicked in after 10-15 seconds, 14.50 volts steady at idle and full throttle. No smoke, (wire burning smoke) and still no sign of where the smoke was coming from. Maybe one of the relays.
    I noticed the rubber strap that holds the battery in place wasnt tight, stretched. Im guessing the vibrating and moving battery caused the short in the battery itself. So got some battery hold down j screws to keep the new one from moving!
    That snow storm we got was about 10" of heavy wet snow, the 54" blade made short work of that!!
    Thx again for your help! Glad shes rollin coal again!!
    Last edited by GreenMachineX495; 12-01-2018 at 08:54 PM.
    fdmars, BigJim55 and SulleyBear like this.

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:56 PM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,490 Times in 1,399 Posts
    The batteries will often test at a "normal voltage" with a volt meter, but the real proof is always the battery load test. This inexpensive piece of equipment will help sort these issues out quickly as it load tests the battery which will show if the battery is compromised. It's one of the handiest things to have in your toolbox.

Also, it shows the charge rate of the alternator. These are real handy for all 12 volt items and save a lot of time sorting these issues out. Anywhere from $20 to $30 money well spent and well worth the small investment......

100 Amp 6/12V Battery Load Tester

Glad you are rolling smoke again.

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

13. The Following User Says Thank You to SulleyBear For This Useful Post:

GreenMachineX495 (12-17-2018)

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements