Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By EMSDJ2

Thread: L110 lack of drive

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    11-27-2018 @ 06:06 AM
    Thanks

L110 lack of drive

My jd L110 has a lack of drive .... i have replaced the drive belt but the issue remains ... it is fine at startup but after a few minutes it starts to lose drive again .... it has to be belt related but no idea where to start .... if i face it down hill it crawls but shudders with full acceleration !!!

So can anyone suggest possible solution !!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 06:45 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by snoozeys74 View Post
    My jd L110 has a lack of drive .... i have replaced the drive belt but the issue remains ... it is fine at startup but after a few minutes it starts to lose drive again .... it has to be belt related but no idea where to start .... if i face it down hill it crawls but shudders with full acceleration !!!

So can anyone suggest possible solution !!!
    Your machine has a K46V hydrostatic transmission-that is likely the issue here. I'm guessing the machine is something like 10+ years old, at that point the original fluid within the trans is likely shot and may have also plugged internal filters or caused damage to some of the mating surfaces of some of the internal parts-this is the cause of the lack of power for drive-especially considering your statement that it work on startup but then looses power after a time.

There are lots of ways to tackle this-Deere will say its a sealed, non serviceable unit and want to sell you a replacement to the tune of $700+. Google and a search here will tell you that you can remove the unit from the machine and service it. The amount of service necessary to make it work again will depend on the extent of damage and your mechanical aptitude. It can range from a drain and refill of the fluid to opening the case and replacing or repairing some of the internal components.

Let us know what you think you would like to try and we can help further.
    2004-L130

2013-2032r, Curtis Hard side cab (project), H130 FEL & 61"bucket, Artillian Modular Grapple on HD frame with Diverter, 2300# Artillian frame w/ 36" x 3" tines, 46BH 9" & 13" bucket, Frontier RB1060, HLA 1000 series 60" JDQA Snow plow, JD ballast box, RK QH, Homemade 3pt multi purpose hitch, 117W of extra LED lights on ROPS and side Brush guards, Ken's bolt on hooks-3x, Ideal Knife grooved R-4's.

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    09-02-2019 @ 09:18 AM
    Thanks
    All the above can certainly be true. You did mention shudder. So do you hear anything with that at the same time? I bring that up as the driven pulley on the transaxle is splined. When the spline wears out and no longer grips the input shaft,it will shudder and make a sort of grinding noise. Food for thought.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Today @ 08:11 AM
    Thanks
    There is a great 2 part video on you tube of how to remove and repair the trans. It has the link to where you can purchase the parts also.

Here is part 1 video link.

Part 1 John Deere L Series Transmission Repair- Removal - YouTube

here is the link for tuff torque services website catalog for k46v

COM_Net2
    Last edited by EMSDJ2; 11-29-2018 at 05:02 AM.
    Mike265 likes this.
    2017 1025R FIL 54"MMM
    36" Titan Pallet Forks
    5 foot box blade
    Titan BX42S wood chipper
    Edge Tamers
    Ken's Bolt on Hooks
    2018 Exmark Rudius-X series 60" deck

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    07-21-2019 @ 05:37 PM
    Thanks
    I would start with looking for leaks at the axle seals. I would then try adding oil. If you can get the plug out of the top of the transmission without removing the transaxle, you can use a oil can with a trigger pump and a piece of poly tubing to fill it. I would not take it apart unless adding oil did not cure the problem.

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tsoleno View Post
    All the above can certainly be true. You did mention shudder. So do you hear anything with that at the same time? I bring that up as the driven pulley on the transaxle is splined. When the spline wears out and no longer grips the input shaft,it will shudder and make a sort of grinding noise. Food for thought.
    I considered that but seeing as how the Op says it operates fine on cold startup then looses drive as things are used and warm up it seems like a classic K46 oil/internal mechanical issue.
    2004-L130

2013-2032r, Curtis Hard side cab (project), H130 FEL & 61"bucket, Artillian Modular Grapple on HD frame with Diverter, 2300# Artillian frame w/ 36" x 3" tines, 46BH 9" & 13" bucket, Frontier RB1060, HLA 1000 series 60" JDQA Snow plow, JD ballast box, RK QH, Homemade 3pt multi purpose hitch, 117W of extra LED lights on ROPS and side Brush guards, Ken's bolt on hooks-3x, Ideal Knife grooved R-4's.

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike265 View Post
    I would start with looking for leaks at the axle seals. I would then try adding oil. If you can get the plug out of the top of the transmission without removing the transaxle, you can use a oil can with a trigger pump and a piece of poly tubing to fill it. I would not take it apart unless adding oil did not cure the problem.
    I know first hand thatís itís nearly impossible to remove the plug and add or remove any oil from the unit while itís in-situ on the machine.

To avoid that hassle itís likely easier to remove the unit and invert it to drain and then refill with the new spec 0w50 (if memory serves) motor oil if one is looking to try the least amount of work to get it going again.

While itís off you can also inspect the pulley to make sure it is still solid as well per tsolenoís suggestion.
    2004-L130

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    09-18-2019 @ 02:39 PM
    Thanks
    5W50 synthetic was the replacement spec for my L118 which would have been the next model up from the L110 in 2005.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    JD X585 - 45 Loader, 47 Blower, 54C Deck, 14 Bushel bagger & Power Flow, 13 Steel Dump Cart, JD Front Mount Thatcher, 36" steel roller, Ohio Steel 42CP Aerator

New Holland TC29D (part owner with father - it lives at his house - 7308 FEL w/ heavy duty bucket, backhoe w/ underframe

11. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements