Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: X580 engine oil for winter

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    08-15-2019 @ 06:57 PM
    Thanks

X580 engine oil for winter

What does everyone recommend to use for oil for winter? It gets cold in northern Wisconsin.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    05-07-2019 @ 04:32 PM
    Thanks
    I've got some Shell 5w30 euro synthetic that I'm going to use on my next service, Dave.
    OxPath and PJR832 like this.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:24 PM
    Thanks
    That is a hard question, engine type (gas versus diesel), tractors (hours) are different then vehicles (mileage). Besides temps, you may need to take into consideration the hours on the engines. Oil for extended life/high mileage. But with tighter engine tolerances, things are now pushing 5W-30 or wider range 5W-40. But in very, very general terms; usually SAE 30 was summertime oil and then 10W-30 was winter (gas engines). But check you user/owners manual and the oil temp chart that is usually in there. If you got one with your tractor, or check the web Deere has put the Owners/Operators manuals there.

Plus you need to decide: synthetic, 50/50 syn/reg oil mix, or reg oil. Plain or with detergents and additives

Oh owners manual for vehicles have disappeared just like the spare tires for them.
    Last edited by bloodrunsgreen; 11-27-2018 at 05:55 PM.
    OxPath, BigJim55 and PJR832 like this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:59 PM
    Thanks
    I like the John Deere 0w40 synthetic...gas, diesel, summer, winter. I use it in everything John Deere
    North585, OxPath, PJR832 and 1 others like this.
    4720 66hp Open Station, Power Beyond, 3rd, 4th and 5th Rear SCV, iMatch, 400cx with SSQA, 3rd Loader Function, MX6, BoDozer Grapple
    JD 320D Skid Loader
    Gator 865r...Fully Pimped Out

X748SE 24hp, 647 Tiller, 54" front blade, 47 Snow Blower, 62C deck, JD disk

JD 997 Zero Turn

Farmall B

2 miniature donkeys, 1/8 hp (each)

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:14 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,610 Times in 1,223 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kchalle View Post
    What does everyone recommend to use for oil for winter? It gets cold in northern Wisconsin.
    Please tell us what model tractor you have. There are usually several choices for oil listed in the operator's manual and it's best to stay with an approved oil blend.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    08-15-2019 @ 06:57 PM
    Thanks
    Sorry I have a X580.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kchalle View Post
    Sorry I have a X580.
    According to the chart in the Operator's Manual, 5W-30 takes you down to -22F and still provides warm weather protection to +104F.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails X580_oil.jpg  
    North585 and TJR345 like this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    09-19-2019 @ 06:18 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    According to the chart in the Operator's Manual, 5W-30 takes you down to -22F and still provides warm weather protection to +104F.

I agree with you, but the upper ends of those charts just don't make sense. Never been able to find anyone who can explain why they're there. The upper end is set by the engine cooling system, generally near 100 C/212 F. VW says to use 5w30 Castrol for its TDIs. That's what I now use in both our JD and Isuzu diesels. Get it from VW because I haven't found any 5w30 nor 0w30 diesel oils otherwise. I figure the upper ends of the charts apply to air cooled engines. Only thing that makes sense.

The 5w30 from Shell that someone else recommended would work, too.

The 0w40 from JD would be okay for cold weather starting where the OP lives.

I worked for Exxon in the lube oil industry for 31 years. We worked closely with our research people who were then in Sarnia, Ontario. They once set up an experiment where they put a Dodge K car in a -40 C/F room overnight and started it with a transparent valve cover to film the valve cover, using various oils. A 0wxx oil was the ONLY oil that did not produce fairly significant smoke in the valve cover. The smoke was due to the upper parts of the engine not getting any oil because the oil pump simply did not take suction on it until it sat there a few seconds and heated the oil up enough to get it going.

The research people also found out by looking at every oil produced around that Mobil 1 was the best. About 2 years after I retired, they merged with Mobil; so, I could use Mobil 1 without it bothering my conscience. Also, Exxon oil just generally became unavailable. Most of Exxon's sales were to 3rd parties and probably still is.

Ral;ph
    North585 likes this.

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RalphVa View Post
    I agree with you, but the upper ends of those charts just don't make sense. Never been able to find anyone who can explain why they're there. The upper end is set by the engine cooling system, generally near 100 C/212 F. VW says to use 5w30 Castrol for its TDIs. That's what I now use in both our JD and Isuzu diesels. Get it from VW because I haven't found any 5w30 nor 0w30 diesel oils otherwise. I figure the upper ends of the charts apply to air cooled engines. Only thing that makes sense.
    Given that this chart comes from the owner's manual for an air cooled garden tractor I am inclined to agree with you. :-) Also, they specifically say that the temperatures on the chart are ambient air temperatures, not engine temperatures.

It should. I don't know why the charts in most owner's manuals omit the synthetic oil blends.

The research people also found out by looking at every oil produced around that Mobil 1 was the best. About 2 years after I retired, they merged with Mobil; so, I could use Mobil 1 without it bothering my conscience. Also, Exxon oil just generally became unavailable. Most of Exxon's sales were to 3rd parties and probably still is.
    I have an Ariens rider with a single cylinder 17.5HP B&S engine that I use as a mail getter. I used to run 10W-30 dino and during the dead of winter it was really sluggish to start (but always starts). Last winter I switched to Mobil-1 0W-30 synthetic and it really made a different with cold weather starting. I continued to run it during the summer and it worked great, I had no measurable oil consumption.
    North585 likes this.

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    06-25-2019 @ 10:34 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RalphVa View Post

The 5w30 from Shell that someone else recommended would work, too.

I worked for Exxon in the lube oil industry for 31 years. We worked closely with our research people who were then in Sarnia, Ontario. They once set up an experiment where they put a Dodge K car in a -40 C/F room overnight and started it with a transparent valve cover to film the valve cover, using various oils. A 0wxx oil was the ONLY oil that did not produce fairly significant smoke in the valve cover. The smoke was due to the upper parts of the engine not getting any oil because the oil pump simply did not take suction on it until it sat there a few seconds and heated the oil up enough to get it going.

Ral;ph

5W-30 synthetic diesel is common around my parts. Even the semi-synthetic 5w-30 isn't that hard to find.
    JD 2520 MCUT (SOLD)

Looking for a 3xx or 4xx restoration project (at a good price)

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast