Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: First Snow

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    08-15-2019 @ 06:57 PM
    Thanks

First Snow

Well it was only about 2" but I got to use my new x580 with 47" snowblower. Being I never had a lawn tractor with a snowblower before I guess I did ok.
    I do have a couple of questions, with the terra grips it was a pretty shaky and bumpy ride is this normal? Also when ever I went in reverse the auger stoped and I had to disengage it and then engage it for going forward again. If I held down RIO switch while backing up it stayed engaged. Is that the proper way to do it? Other than the 2 issues I was very happy with it.
    Gizmo2, ColonyPark and PJR832 like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:32 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kchalle View Post
    Well it was only about 2" but I got to use my new x580 with 47" snowblower. Being I never had a lawn tractor with a snowblower before I guess I did ok.
    I do have a couple of questions, with the terra grips it was a pretty shaky and bumpy ride is this normal? Also when ever I went in reverse the auger stoped and I had to disengage it and then engage it for going forward again. If I held down RIO switch while backing up it stayed engaged. Is that the proper way to do it? Other than the 2 issues I was very happy with it.
    Yes you have a bit of a bumpy ride but chains are worse.
    Yes you have to use the RIO switch when backing just as you do for mowing.
    North585 and PJR832 like this.
    Tom

2019 X590 with power mulch control and PF bagger
    30" mechanical tiller
    02 X595 with 62" deck,front thatcher and powerflow PTO kit
    3pt hitch with Heavy Hitch 45 JD loader
    12 JD suitcase weights
    JD/Brinly 3pt plow
    Frontier SS1036 3pt pto spreader
    (2) JS63C walk behind mowers
    TS 105 JD weed wacker
    tow behind 15 gal. sprayer
    Turftime 60" lawn roller
    Turftime 54" 3pt core aerator

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:20 PM
    Thanks
    Just as it should be. If there's no bump to the ride the grips have fallen off. You'll be thankful for the bump when more than 2" hits the ground. Good luck.
    North585 likes this.
    JD X738
    48" deck, 3pt hitch, 54" blade w/ full hydraulics, quick attach
    48" York rake, 56" box blade, mid row buster, dethatcher, aerator, 900lb roller
    Various Heavy Hitch adapters, ball hitch, hook, 2" sleeve hitch, etc..
    3200lb. hitch mounted winch
    Polar 1700 3/4 ton cart with side rails
    Power King 5" 15HP towable chipper

Kubota G2000S w/ 4w steering, hydraulics, 60" deck

Vietnam Veteran

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:23 PM
    Thanks
    With use the Terra-grip ride does get better. Chains always seem to stay the same But I used Terra-grips for several years and the ride Improved In the follow on years as the Rubber soften a bit
    North585 likes this.
    John Deere Models: 2025RTLB(Gen 2),X748,GX335,140H3,112SF,110RF,Sabre 1542,TX Gator
    Cub Cadet Models:0riginal,70,106,XT3GSX & Experimental Non Production Rear engine rider
    Ingersoll Model:3016PS
    Simplicity Models:Wonder Boy
    White Model: GT2055

MSGT 11 & 18 Series Retired

7. Top | #5
    ean

Last Online
    Today @ 11:20 AM
    Thanks
    You could always bypass your RIO switch. $2 in parts and 5 minutes of work or less and you're done. See this thread. I did mine for mowing but it will be there year round. I very much recommend it.
    BigJim55 likes this.
    X584
    54" mower deck
    47" snow blower

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    08-19-2019 @ 06:38 PM
    Thanks
    Why i went with chains several other reviews like this good luck...
    https://youtu.be/OVviUTfavKY

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:20 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 99srxman View Post
    Why i went with chains several other reviews like this good luck...
    https://youtu.be/OVviUTfavKY
    An X300 series tractor with not enough weight and no diff lock getting slightly better traction on ice. Not much of an example to go by.
    JD X738
    48" deck, 3pt hitch, 54" blade w/ full hydraulics, quick attach
    48" York rake, 56" box blade, mid row buster, dethatcher, aerator, 900lb roller
    Various Heavy Hitch adapters, ball hitch, hook, 2" sleeve hitch, etc..
    3200lb. hitch mounted winch
    Polar 1700 3/4 ton cart with side rails
    Power King 5" 15HP towable chipper

Kubota G2000S w/ 4w steering, hydraulics, 60" deck

Vietnam Veteran

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:24 AM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,497 Times in 1,405 Posts
    You will get used to the Terra grips and soon won't notice them. Also 2" of snow is the minimum for much of the snow equipment use and the Terra grips are no different. Also, the blower works better the more snow goes through it, to a point.

The more weight on the rear of your tractor, the better the traction. You should be carrying at least an additional 150 pounds on the back of your machine, even if it's laying sand bags across click hitch of with some other type of mount. rear weight will make the machine bounce less on the road with the Terra Grips also.....

The 2" was a great learning point to start with. Just imagine the 12" of super heavy wet snow which we had for our first snow that was 50 pounds per 5 gallon bucket of snow and plugging the blowers and breaking shear pins. You got the text book first snowfall to learn with, which is ideal. You will get better and better with the machine over time and soon, it will be second nature.

The chains score the crap out of black top, strip the asphalt sealant right off the surface and can even cause rust to appear in concrete from the metal wearing off the chains on the concrete surface. The Terra Grips will last longer than chains also as the chains cross chains tend to wear on these cheap imported chains often now sold.

Give it time and you will love the Terra Grips and as the rubber softens and the chains loosen, the entire ride improves noticeably. Add to that deeper snow when you use them and you won't feel like you must look like a duck walking as the tractor waddles side to side with the Terra Grips.

I have plowed with terra grips for probably 500 hours of time or more. I have used chains for even longer. The chains cause damage and when the chains break and they will with use, the cross links beat the snot out of the underside of your tractor fender and it can tear off electrical wires and damage hydraulic lines and filters. The longer you use the terra griips, the more you will like them.

Are you using the tension binders in the center of your wheels to keep the terr grips as tight as possible to the tire? They will improve the ride as well and also make the terra grips traction better and not wear on the connecting chains as much as when the terra grips can flex on the tires.

These work better than any other method I tried to keep the Terra Grips snug......I suggest using two per rear tire with the first installed so the four points are at 12, 3, 6, and 9 o'clock on the tire and the second at 1, 4, 7 and 10 o'clock on the same tire and the Terra Grips will stay nice and tight. Make sure to order the size of tensioner you need based upon the size of your tire. These stretch quite a bit and you want them to be tight.

Amazon.com: Security Chain Company QG20030 Quik Grip Small Tire Traction Chain Rubber Tightener - Set of 2: Automotive

mark02tj likes this.

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    08-15-2019 @ 06:57 PM
    Thanks
    Thanks for your post SB very helpful!

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    09-17-2019 @ 05:25 AM
    Thanks
    As others have said, ride will get better. First year I got my X590 we had no snow and I finally went out in 2 inches also..LOL. I will say this, weight is your friend, I use wheel weights and 4 suitcase weight for extra 268 lbs of weight on back of machine. I’ve heard a lot of talk on performance of terra grips. Here is mine. I’ve tried snow blowing both ways to get valid tests. Yes I can snow blow without the terra grips, I slip and slide much more and I am constantly engaging diff lock as I continually got temporally stuck. With the terra grips I seldom slip and almost never got stuck, seldom if ever have to engage diff lock. In short no comparison, terra grips work great and do no damage to driveway and or sidewalks
    John Deere X590- 47 inch Snow blower

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast