Hello & Snow Plow Question(s)
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 26
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Hello & Snow Plow Question(s)

  1. Top | #1

    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Last Online
    05-10-2019 @ 07:38 AM
    Location
    Central VA
    Posts
    12
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Hello & Snow Plow Question(s)

    Hello all I am new here and relatively new to John Deere ownership! I recently purchased an X570 and so far so good. I bought/attached the leaf collection system/blower a few weeks back and have been dealing with leaves. Now it's time to prepare for snow. I have a long driveway on a decent hill. I can push snow off to either side. After the blower/leaf collection spend I am hoping to do this on the less-expensive side of my choices. From poking around here it looks like tera grip vs. chains is the way to go...and I will need to weigh down the machine. As far as snow blades, I assume I can get any blade that says it will fit x500 and staying on the cheaper side I would get the quick connect and manual angler? Does this sound right? Sometimes this stuff gets confusing with the various parts, machines, and options. Any help would be appreciated. Oh, also I assume craigslist is the best option to find the blade itself if I wanted to go used?
    Gizmo2 and wentonbrown like this.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. Top | #2
    etcallhome's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:22 AM
    Location
    Preston County WV
    Posts
    13,370
    Thanks
    3,260
    Thanked 2,457 Times in 1,582 Posts
    Welcome from Preston County, West Virginia

    Gene

    Have fun and be safe !!!
    USAR 8yr 8 mo SSG 99th ARCOM
    JD 1025R, H120 FEL 54" bucket, 54" mmm Auto Conn, 54" Front blade, JD back hoe ,JD IMatch, 48" Bush Hog tiller, Middlebuster from MF dealer, used King Kutter 5' rear blade, a new 47" JD Front blower and Original Tractor cab w/heater.
    We have a Red Honda Pioneer 700-4 (4 seater) w/soft top , doors, and winch.

  4. Top | #3

    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:58 AM
    Location
    Athens, TN
    Posts
    362
    Thanks
    28
    Thanked 83 Times in 67 Posts
    Meeg, You don't have a location in your thread and this can make a difference as to what you want/need. I lived in CT for 65+ years and am very (too) familiar with snow removal. If you get 10 or 15 storms a year dropping 1 to 3 inches, a blade is fine. If you get 10 or 15 storms dropping 6 to 16 inches, I'd say look for a blower.

    Something that many people don't think about is what happens after their snow is cleared is where to put the next storm what happens when it starts to melt. I cleaned my driveway about 3 feet on each side of the pavement. When it started to melt it would (somehow??) drain into the grass area (even when frozen!). If you've got a blower, you can continue to clear the same area by blowing over the previous snow. With a blade, you can only push up to the previous snow...with your melt area getting smaller each storm and eventually melting snow will be running onto your driveway and freezing! To me, it's all about how much snow you think you'll be getting, but don't be afraid of moving it waaay back from paved surfaces!

    OK. those where my thoughts and had nothing to do with your post! As far as terra grips vs chains, I really shouldn't comment. My driveway was 15+ years old and I didn't mind the (sometimes) marks the chains left. If you have a new driveway, I think the terra grips are the way to go. For weight, as much as the manual says the tractor will handle...wheel weights don't count, they don't add weight to the tractor, only the tires.

    I'm not trying to persuade you, just giving my thoughts, Bob
    fdmars and PJR832 like this.
    '80 317 w/18hp B&S and divert valve for rear hydraulics, 3 pt hitch, 5' york rake
    '82 314 w/rear PTO for tiller
    33 tiller
    49 thrower
    54 4 way blade
    Mod 48 deck & Mod 462 TracVac

  5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. Top | #4
    Sergeant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:01 AM
    Location
    Kane County,IL
    Posts
    1,138
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 210 Times in 169 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by meegwell View Post
    Hello all I am new here and relatively new to John Deere ownership! I recently purchased an X570 and so far so good. I bought/attached the leaf collection system/blower a few weeks back and have been dealing with leaves. Now it's time to prepare for snow. I have a long driveway on a decent hill. I can push snow off to either side. After the blower/leaf collection spend I am hoping to do this on the less-expensive side of my choices. From poking around here it looks like tera grip vs. chains is the way to go...and I will need to weigh down the machine. As far as snow blades, I assume I can get any blade that says it will fit x500 and staying on the cheaper side I would get the quick connect and manual angler? Does this sound right? Sometimes this stuff gets confusing with the various parts, machines, and options. Any help would be appreciated. Oh, also I assume craigslist is the best option to find the blade itself if I wanted to go used?
    Blade choices for X500 series

    OEM Front Blade

    44inch BM25066 or 6005M same Blade angle Kit LP33712 Superior-Tech | 44in Plow Angling Kit

    48Inch Blade 6006M angle Kit BM23448 John Deere Manual Blade Angling Kit - BM23448

    44inch Blade with angle kit your Looking at $723.00 Plus Tax

    48inch Blade Plus angle kit $1,054.29 Plus Tax

    Aftermarket Front Blades

    Snow Blade Berco 48" Snow Blade for Lawn & Garden Tractors Includes electric winch Lift and the angle kit is Built Into the system

    Utility Blade Berco 48" Utility Blade for Lawn & Garden Tractors Includes electric winch Lift and the angle kit is Built Into the system this is a Bit Heavier Duty

    I would also say to invest In 4 suitcase weights as well at a Minimum and or Wheel weights You get a Little Better Performance with Both But the 4 suitcase weights Can handle the Job good as well

    In the Long run though I suggest sticking with a OEM Front Blade. Don't get me wrong Bercomac make a nice Product But I think Deer's Blades in this side are Built a Little Heavier Duty compared to the Bercomac Blade and the 48inch will clear the width of the Tractor when Blade is angled better than the 44inch

    Deere also Makes a electric Lift Kit for the X570 that will raise and lower the Front Blades or Blower the electric lift Kit is LP64865 John Deere Electric Lift Kit - LP64865 This version of the electric lift kit would allow You to use a 47inch Blower On Your X570. It also eliminates some of the extra Parts associated with the Blades and Blower since there redesign for the Current X500 series.

    BTW the first years using the Terra-Grips It will feel like a rougher ride But as You use them The ride will get Better by the second Year

    some Other Info If You have a asphalt or Concrete Driveway I also recommend the Rubber edge Deere calls it a Rubber squeegee 44inch Is Part Number M15462 John Deere 44-inch Rubber Squeegee Blade - M146542 and the 48inch Version is M42868 John Deere Rubber Squeegee Blade - M42868 the 48inch version you have to Cut to fit as it is actually 54inches Long

    If your have a Gravel driveway You won't need the Rubber squeegee or Terra-Grips Because I recommend Chains if Your Have a Gravel driveway

    Hope this Helps
    glc, North585, DRobinson and 1 others like this.
    John Deere Models: 2025RTLB(Gen 2),X748,GX335,140H3,112SF,110RF,Sabre 1542,TX Gator
    Cub Cadet Models:0riginal,70,106,XT3GSX & Experimental Non Production Rear engine rider
    Ingersoll Model:3016PS
    Simplicity Models:Wonder Boy
    White Model: GT2055

    MSGT 11 & 18 Series Retired

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to Sergeant For This Useful Post:

    ColonyPark (12-05-2018)

  8. Top | #5

    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Last Online
    05-10-2019 @ 07:38 AM
    Location
    Central VA
    Posts
    12
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rwmeyer View Post
    Meeg, You don't have a location in your thread and this can make a difference as to what you want/need. I lived in CT for 65+ years and am very (too) familiar with snow removal. If you get 10 or 15 storms a year dropping 1 to 3 inches, a blade is fine. If you get 10 or 15 storms dropping 6 to 16 inches, I'd say look for a blower.

    Something that many people don't think about is what happens after their snow is cleared is where to put the next storm what happens when it starts to melt. I cleaned my driveway about 3 feet on each side of the pavement. When it started to melt it would (somehow??) drain into the grass area (even when frozen!). If you've got a blower, you can continue to clear the same area by blowing over the previous snow. With a blade, you can only push up to the previous snow...with your melt area getting smaller each storm and eventually melting snow will be running onto your driveway and freezing! To me, it's all about how much snow you think you'll be getting, but don't be afraid of moving it waaay back from paved surfaces!

    OK. those where my thoughts and had nothing to do with your post! As far as terra grips vs chains, I really shouldn't comment. My driveway was 15+ years old and I didn't mind the (sometimes) marks the chains left. If you have a new driveway, I think the terra grips are the way to go. For weight, as much as the manual says the tractor will handle...wheel weights don't count, they don't add weight to the tractor, only the tires.

    I'm not trying to persuade you, just giving my thoughts, Bob

    Thank you! I am in Central VA so maybe 0-4 storms a year at 1-6 inches and the occasional big storm.
    glc and PJR832 like this.

  9. Top | #6

    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Last Online
    05-10-2019 @ 07:38 AM
    Location
    Central VA
    Posts
    12
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sergeant View Post
    Blade choices for X500 series

    OEM Front Blade

    44inch BM25066 or 6005M same Blade angle Kit LP33712 Superior-Tech | 44in Plow Angling Kit

    48Inch Blade 6006M angle Kit BM23448 John Deere Manual Blade Angling Kit - BM23448

    44inch Blade with angle kit your Looking at $723.00 Plus Tax

    48inch Blade Plus angle kit $1,054.29 Plus Tax

    Aftermarket Front Blades

    Snow Blade Berco 48" Snow Blade for Lawn & Garden Tractors Includes electric winch Lift and the angle kit is Built Into the system

    Utility Blade Berco 48" Utility Blade for Lawn & Garden Tractors Includes electric winch Lift and the angle kit is Built Into the system this is a Bit Heavier Duty

    I would also say to invest In 4 suitcase weights as well at a Minimum and or Wheel weights You get a Little Better Performance with Both But the 4 suitcase weights Can handle the Job good as well

    In the Long run though I suggest sticking with a OEM Front Blade. Don't get me wrong Bercomac make a nice Product But I think Deer's Blades in this side are Built a Little Heavier Duty compared to the Bercomac Blade and the 48inch will clear the width of the Tractor when Blade is angled better than the 44inch

    Deere also Makes a electric Lift Kit for the X570 that will raise and lower the Front Blades or Blower the electric lift Kit is LP64865 John Deere Electric Lift Kit - LP64865 This version of the electric lift kit would allow You to use a 47inch Blower On Your X570. It also eliminates some of the extra Parts associated with the Blades and Blower since there redesign for the Current X500 series.

    BTW the first years using the Terra-Grips It will feel like a rougher ride But as You use them The ride will get Better by the second Year

    some Other Info If You have a asphalt or Concrete Driveway I also recommend the Rubber edge Deere calls it a Rubber squeegee 44inch Is Part Number M15462 John Deere 44-inch Rubber Squeegee Blade - M146542 and the 48inch Version is M42868 John Deere Rubber Squeegee Blade - M42868 the 48inch version you have to Cut to fit as it is actually 54inches Long

    If your have a Gravel driveway You won't need the Rubber squeegee or Terra-Grips Because I recommend Chains if Your Have a Gravel driveway

    Hope this Helps
    Thank you very much! Great info to ponder. Asphalt driveway don't know the age but decent shape.
    glc likes this.

  10. Top | #7
    Sergeant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:01 AM
    Location
    Kane County,IL
    Posts
    1,138
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 210 Times in 169 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by meegwell View Post
    Thank you very much! Great info to ponder. Asphalt driveway don't know the age but decent shape.
    Then You'll be fine with Terra-Grips. Chains can make a mess of Asphalt if You Happen to spin. My Old House I had Asphalt and when I spun I would have pot Holes at the end of the Driveway Once I went to a Concrete driveway at the Old House I went to Terra-Grips That was 6 years ago. I Now have a super Long But Flat road Grade Asphalt driveway and I still use Terra-Grips On My tractor That have turf tread Tires Now if You Have HDAP(ATV style) rear tires and Not turf Rears You just might be able to get away without even using The Terra-Grips and Just the HDAP Rear tires. Which if You do Have the HDAP rear tires I recommend trying that first without the Terra-Grips if You do have a lot of spin out's Then put the Terra-Grips On. But it always Nice to not chain up if You Don't have to
    Last edited by Sergeant; 12-04-2018 at 07:48 PM.
    glc, DRobinson, BigJim55 and 1 others like this.
    John Deere Models: 2025RTLB(Gen 2),X748,GX335,140H3,112SF,110RF,Sabre 1542,TX Gator
    Cub Cadet Models:0riginal,70,106,XT3GSX & Experimental Non Production Rear engine rider
    Ingersoll Model:3016PS
    Simplicity Models:Wonder Boy
    White Model: GT2055

    MSGT 11 & 18 Series Retired

  11. Top | #8

    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Last Online
    05-10-2019 @ 07:38 AM
    Location
    Central VA
    Posts
    12
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    x300 v x500 v x... blades?

    What is the difference between blades that "fit" x500 v other? I would think, on the surface, these would be the same at least between the "X"s for example...

  12. Top | #9
    Sergeant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:01 AM
    Location
    Kane County,IL
    Posts
    1,138
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 210 Times in 169 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by meegwell View Post
    What is the difference between blades that "fit" x500 v other? I would think, on the surface, these would be the same at least between the "X"s for example...
    Deere build there Blade sub frame The best way to describe it as (Over Built) Meaning You hit an unseen Obstruction with the 48inch Blade Two things are not going to Likely Not Happen You won't bend the Blade Frame or Tractor Frame The Bercomac There Built well But it Might be Pretty damaged if You end Up Hitting and unseen Obstruction There Blade's themselves are Not as thick as the Deere Blade But The Bercomac is Not cheaply Made Like the Agri-Fab Blades made for the Husqvarna Brand Agri-Fab has finally gotten Smart with the Cub Cadet Brand the started Building a Blade for Cub Cadet that has More of a John Deere design to the Blade sub frame. See there are Two more aftermarket Blade that will work On the X500 But One I would not wish that blade on my worst enemy It is that Poorly made and may only last a season for Plowing.

    The other Blade I failed to mention above and should have is this Blade Johnny Bucket Jr. John Deere GTLX scroll down and You will see a video with a Cub Cadet Plowing snow That Blade will also fit On Your X570 and John at Johnny Products does make a fine Product What is nice about that Plow is the Fact that You Have down Pressure to really scrape the surface and You have Power angle something You can't get with any of the Blades I mentioned Up above But it's expensive compared to the Deere or Bercomac Blades

    Now when comparing a Bercomac Blower to a Deere Blower In a lot of ways the Bercomac just put the Deere Blowers to shame as far as Performance. But the Deere Blower's again are fairly (Over Built)

    The Deere 44inch does Not Have Have springs On it to prevent The Operator from being Jolted in the seat while the 48inch does have spring which Prevent to Operator from being jolted if a object is struck.

    I think in the Long run though with front Blades it is usually better to go with the OEM More than Likely if Parts are needed. You will get them quicker with a Deere Blade then with a aftermarket Blade who knows how long the Turn around time will be from Bercomac. Deere You can usually have Parts in 24 to 48 hrs depending On which order they are Put on from the dealer weather expedited 24HRs(extra shipping charge usually added) or the stock order 48hrs (no extra Charge) and the dealer could even have them in there own Parts Department. One thing you don't want to have down during the Winter Is a Blade or a Blower so that why it is sometime Better to go with OEM attachments.

    Keep In Mind Deere also Makes a electric lift Kit That can put down Pressure on the Blade as well and Bercomac does not have that option if it something you might need down the Line if Your realize the Blade is not clearing the driveway efficiently enough. The electric Lift kit has that advantage over the X500 series with Hydraulic lift Because those Blades have a designed In float feature and no way to Put down Pressure On the Blade.

    Hope this gives you some Ideas for Front Blades
    glc likes this.
    John Deere Models: 2025RTLB(Gen 2),X748,GX335,140H3,112SF,110RF,Sabre 1542,TX Gator
    Cub Cadet Models:0riginal,70,106,XT3GSX & Experimental Non Production Rear engine rider
    Ingersoll Model:3016PS
    Simplicity Models:Wonder Boy
    White Model: GT2055

    MSGT 11 & 18 Series Retired

  13. Top | #10

    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Last Online
    05-10-2019 @ 07:38 AM
    Location
    Central VA
    Posts
    12
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sergeant View Post
    Deere build there Blade sub frame The best way to describe it as (Over Built) Meaning You hit an unseen Obstruction with the 48inch Blade Two things are not going to Likely Not Happen You won't bend the Blade Frame or Tractor Frame The Bercomac There Built well But it Might be Pretty damaged if You end Up Hitting and unseen Obstruction There Blade's themselves are Not as thick as the Deere Blade But The Bercomac is Not cheaply Made Like the Agri-Fab Blades made for the Husqvarna Brand Agri-Fab has finally gotten Smart with the Cub Cadet Brand the started Building a Blade for Cub Cadet that has More of a John Deere design to the Blade sub frame. See there are Two more aftermarket Blade that will work On the X500 But One I would not wish that blade on my worst enemy It is that Poorly made and may only last a season for Plowing.

    The other Blade I failed to mention above and should have is this Blade Johnny Bucket Jr. John Deere GTLX scroll down and You will see a video with a Cub Cadet Plowing snow That Blade will also fit On Your X570 and John at Johnny Products does make a fine Product What is nice about that Plow is the Fact that You Have down Pressure to really scrape the surface and You have Power angle something You can't get with any of the Blades I mentioned Up above But it's expensive compared to the Deere or Bercomac Blades

    Now when comparing a Bercomac Blower to a Deere Blower In a lot of ways the Bercomac just put the Deere Blowers to shame as far as Performance. But the Deere Blower's again are fairly (Over Built)

    The Deere 44inch does Not Have Have springs On it to prevent The Operator from being Jolted in the seat while the 48inch does have spring which Prevent to Operator from being jolted if a object is struck.

    I think in the Long run though with front Blades it is usually better to go with the OEM More than Likely if Parts are needed. You will get them quicker with a Deere Blade then with a aftermarket Blade who knows how long the Turn around time will be from Bercomac. Deere You can usually have Parts in 24 to 48 hrs depending On which order they are Put on from the dealer weather expedited 24HRs(extra shipping charge usually added) or the stock order 48hrs (no extra Charge) and the dealer could even have them in there own Parts Department. One thing you don't want to have down during the Winter Is a Blade or a Blower so that why it is sometime Better to go with OEM attachments.

    Keep In Mind Deere also Makes a electric lift Kit That can put down Pressure on the Blade as well and Bercomac does not have that option if it something you might need down the Line if Your realize the Blade is not clearing the driveway efficiently enough. The electric Lift kit has that advantage over the X500 series with Hydraulic lift Because those Blades have a designed In float feature and no way to Put down Pressure On the Blade.

    Hope this gives you some Ideas for Front Blades
    Thanks again I wasn't thinking about this comparison between brands but comparison between the Deere X500 and X300 - is it just the frame size or build it seems like the blade should be universal and the attachment kit I can see being different?

  14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •