Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: JD 345 battery charging light on

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    01-03-2019 @ 09:43 AM
    Thanks

JD 345 battery charging light on

My battery charging light came on yesterday and stays on. Has new battery. Mower has around 600 hrs. I think it is prob. voltage regulator but not sure. IF it is VR where is it located and best place to purchase, any guess on cost of VR. Thanks for your help
    JD4044M likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    09-02-2019 @ 09:18 AM
    Thanks
    AUC12632 is the Deere part number should you need a regulator. They do fail from time to time, and at times the terminal block at the regulator gets grungy enough to not connect well. If you have a basic multimeter, you could check if the battery is being charged or not plus if you have AC output from the charge coil.
    glc likes this.

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tsoleno View Post
    AUC12632 is the Deere part number should you need a regulator. They do fail from time to time, and at times the terminal block at the regulator gets grungy enough to not connect well. If you have a basic multimeter, you could check if the battery is being charged or not plus if you have AC output from the charge coil.
    Thanks for your replay I will update on my fix.
    glc likes this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:01 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by corvette View Post
    My battery charging light came on yesterday and stays on. Has new battery. Mower has around 600 hrs. I think it is prob. voltage regulator but not sure. IF it is VR where is it located and best place to purchase, any guess on cost of VR. Thanks for your help
    Make sure it isn't charging before you spend money. Just because the battery light is ON doesn't mean it isn't charging. A quick check with a meter will tell you. Run at wide open throttle. Should have 13.5 to 14.5 volts dc.

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk
    JD4044M likes this.

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by xcopterdoc View Post
    Make sure it isn't charging before you spend money. Just because the battery light is ON doesn't mean it isn't charging. A quick check with a meter will tell you. Run at wide open throttle. Should have 13.5 to 14.5 volts dc.

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk

I agree but what else could it be, maybe a loose connection?? Thanks for replying

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    09-03-2019 @ 10:10 PM
    Thanks
    I agree but what else could it be, maybe a loose connection?? Thanks for replying
    Yes, it could be a loose connection, bad stator, lost magnets on the flywheel, or the battery. I'm sure there are a few other things.

I wouldn't rule out the battery just because it's new.

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Thanks

Battery charge light

Checked battery with meter, this is numbers:
    13.2 not running, just removed batt. tender
    4.73 idling
    14.75 wide open throttle

I assume this means VR is working and charging batt. What next, this is a second mower and have no problem removing bulb in light, or is there a downside to this??? Thanks gentlemen for your help.

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    Thanks

Battery charge light

I cleaned all connections I could get to w/o removing VR. What you think guys, any more suggestions. Thanks

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    09-03-2019 @ 10:10 PM
    Thanks
    I cleaned all connections I could get to w/o removing VR. What you think guys, any more suggestions. Thanks
    I just read through my GX345 manual - I assume the changing circuit and voltage light operates the same which I could be completely wrong.

Anyway, according to the manual current for the low voltage light is supplied by the VR if it sense a charging issue. Given your system is charging, it sounds like the charge indicator circuit within the VR is bad to me.

As far as where to buy one, I'm a fan of Pat's Small engines if it's a Kawasaki part and I can wait 10 days. Their shipping is slow but their prices are the lowest I have found.

Looks like it's a JD part. I buy most of my JD parts from Green Farm Parts and use the GTT discount code.
    Last edited by denverguy; 12-11-2018 at 10:16 PM.

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by denverguy View Post
    I just read through my GX345 manual - I assume the changing circuit and voltage light operates the same which I could be completely wrong.

Anyway, according to the manual current for the low voltage light is supplied by the VR if it sense a charging issue. Given your system is charging, it sounds like the charge indicator circuit within the VR is bad to me.

As far as where to buy one, I'm a fan of Pat's Small engines if it's a Kawasaki part and I can wait 10 days. Their shipping is slow but their prices are the lowest I have found.

Looks like it's a JD part. I buy most of my JD parts from Green Farm Parts and use the GTT discount code.
    So you think the VR is charging per the volt readings I posted but something in the VR circuit that feeds the charging light is bad and changing the VR should fix it. That sounds logical and I sure do appreciate the help. I checked at my jd store and vr is 71.00. EBAY aftermarket is 35.00. Thanks again my friend. I'll post up after I change.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast