• 2 Post By JoesJD
  • 3 Post By SulleyBear

Thread: 425 transmission slipping

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    12-16-2018 @ 03:23 PM
    Thanks

425 transmission slipping

I have a 425. Original owner. Purchased around 1999 2000. 2000 hours. Transmission slips when I transition from forward to reverse when the PTO is running. Slipping stops after fully warms up. Tractor very well maintained (however I have what I am hoping is a common seal leak coming from somewhere above the transmission filter). JD Fluid and Filter replaced every 3 years or so.
    Any ideas or comments are greatly appreciated
    Thank you

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:16 PM
    Thanks
    The 4X5 series which is the 425, 445 and 455 used the Tuff-Torq Pro IHT units (IHT-Intergrated Hydraulic Transmissions). I have attached the Service manual for the K92 which I believe will help you. I cannot find the K91 on their site. It might be private for Deere. Strange that I can find all the other transmissions used by Deere there. Look at the troubleshooting section located in the last few pages.

Do you have the TM1517 manual?
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by bloodrunsgreen; 12-12-2018 at 10:09 PM.
    DRobinson and Herminator like this.

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Thanks
    Thank you, I do have the JD shop manual. Will dig it out and let you know the number as soon as I can.
    Herminator likes this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Thanks
    Yes Technical Manual TM1517 Sept 99. Serial Number a whopping 070000. Time flies.
    Thank you
    BigJim55 and Herminator like this.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:49 PM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,496 Times in 1,405 Posts
    There are several seals which are known to leak on that hydrostatic drive unit. I have rebuilt a few of them in 445 and 455 tractors over the years. The unit is very tough and even after almost 2,500 hours, the unit in my 455 had very few worn hard parts.

Make sure to check your hydro fluid for signs of PTO clutch material, which will look like "dust" in the fluid when you drain it. The clutch pack material isn't metallic until you have reached severely worn status and then the normal clutch material is gone and it's PTO clutch rebuild time. Also the PTO clutch brake shoe will tend to wear over time and can start to drag on the PTO drum assembly, causing both engine temp increases and even overheating in warm months. I have also seen the repeated excessive heating of the hydo system cause the hydro system to slip.

2,000 hours isn't unusual for a PTO clutch unit to need replacing if it has been used extensively. The PTO clutch replacement isn't a terrible job, actually none of the work on the K91 is excessively difficult and the K91 is EXTREMELY similar to the K92.

There could be some wear in the pump components, etc. The best thing to do if you plan on working on this yourself is to get a hydro pressure tester guage and fittings which meets the guidelines in the Deere Technical service manual. You have to remove the operator platform to gain easy access to the ports needed to test the hydraulic pressure and to determine the pumps efficiency, etc. This is where I would start. The process is outlined clearly in the Deere technical Service manual for the 425/445/455 models.

Also, I once ran into a hydro filter which caused intermittent operational issues. The dealer had looked at the unit and told me it was toast and to prepare to spend thousands. I brought it home and flushed out the hydro system and changed the filter and used the machine for another 800 hours or more before finally having to get into the actual rear case and make repairs. A partially clogged hydro filter can cause intermittent results as well.

Make sure you replace the following on that rear end unit if you do any service work on it as these are known to leak and cause issues at some point.

1. The Differential Pedal Shaft seal commonly slides out of position and leaks. Simply putting the seal back is a temp fix. A new seal, which can be installed from the outside after cleaning the area impacted carefully solves the issue. This is easy to do.

2. The vent on top of the unit is often missing. Also an easy repair.

3. The seal around the directional shaft, which is behind the swash plate on the right side of the tractor. More involved and follow the manuals closely.

4. The main front seal for the Mid PTO (this one is more involved to replace)

5. There are just a few gaskets in the rear end hydro unit, basically they are only used BEFORE the hydro pump and transmission. After the hydro pump, RTV sealant is commonly used. There is a large gasket which goes between the "Transmission", which is technically a small plate section of the rear end hydro unit and the entire case matter.

6. There are a couple of other gaskets between the housing pieces that once you are in replacing the main gasket, replace the others. The main gasket often leaks, which produces a leak above the hydro filter. If you have a fuild leak above the filter location or above the mid pto output shaft, chances are it is this gasket or one of the others in line with it.

7. Also, make sure to replace the front packing seal in the nose of the pump housing as you will have to remove these pieces to get to main gasket anyways.

Make sure to follow the technical service manual and the Tuff Torq Service Manual for the bolt and hardware torque specs as they vary widely based upon the location and the case material, etc. The last thing you want to do is shear off a bolt in the case or anywhere else for that matter by over tightening. Also, the correct torque is required to seal the transmission and pump to the case.

Between the Tuff Torq manual and the John Deere Technical Service Manual, there will be very helpful directions and step by step guides. Usually, where there are leaks they are coming from the shaft seals or the gaskets. Usually the RTV doesn't leak unless the case has been opened and not sealed correctly. Otherwise, the RTV tends to be fairly trouble free. Just make sure to really clean the mating surfaces correctly once you open the case and properly seal it when reassembly, don't over apply the RTV as it will tear off and be inside the case likely to cause you other problems.
    DRobinson, JDSwan87 and Herminator like this.

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SulleyBear For This Useful Post:

DRobinson(12-19-2018), JDSwan87(12-18-2018)

9. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements