• 1 Post By JimR
  • 1 Post By xcopterdoc

Thread: JD L120D Deck Idler Question

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    12-22-2018 @ 02:14 PM
    Thanks

JD L120D Deck Idler Question

Hello, I just picked up a low hour 2005 L120D in great condition. My question is about the spring loaded idler pulley on the 48" deck. The pulley is on an angle and appears to be by design. I managed to view a few internet drawings that may show the pulley at an angle but it is not clear. The mower is nice and shiny and doesn't have a scratch on it so I can't imagine anything being bent. Does anyone have any knowledge of this pulley? Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 09:51 AM
    Thanks
    A picture of the area of the deck and the pulley your referencing would help, we can try to help without but won’t be sure as without a picture we could be incorrect....

Also-just to be clear-what’s a L120D? Are you certain that is the mower? I only know of L120 and L130’s in the 2005 range...
    TJR345 likes this.
    2004-L130

2013-2032r, Curtis Hard side cab (project), H130 FEL & 61"bucket, Artillian Modular Grapple on HD frame with Diverter, 2300# Artillian frame w/ 36" x 3" tines, 46BH 9" & 13" bucket, Frontier RB1060, HLA 1000 series 60" JDQA Snow plow, JD ballast box, RK QH, Homemade 3pt multi purpose hitch, 117W of extra LED lights on ROPS and side Brush guards, Ken's bolt on hooks-3x, Ideal Knife grooved R-4's.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:50 PM
    Thanks
    If its the deck I'm thinking of there are 2 nylon/plastic bushings on the shaft of that pulley that wear from the tension and movement of the spring.Their only a few bucks,it'll straighten up some,but normally its angled.
    Tom

2019 X590 with power mulch control and PF bagger
    30" mechanical tiller
    02 X595 with 62" deck,front thatcher and powerflow PTO kit
    3pt hitch with Heavy Hitch 45 JD loader
    12 JD suitcase weights
    JD/Brinly 3pt plow
    Frontier SS1036 3pt pto spreader
    (2) JS63C walk behind mowers
    TS 105 JD weed wacker
    tow behind 15 gal. sprayer
    Turftime 60" lawn roller
    Turftime 54" 3pt core aerator

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    12-22-2018 @ 02:14 PM
    Thanks
    The L120D was the last year of the L120 and the only year with 22 hp instead of the 20 hp Briggs. The "D" only appears on the data sticker. The idlers all have steel ball bearings, no plastic bushings.

I may have answered my own question when taking the suggested photos. The welded bracket for the idler in question is on an angle so I'm sure everything is as it should be. The pivot arm itself is heavy gauge and perfectly straight.

I was watching a guy on YouTube working on a Cub Cadet. The same pulley was at a similar angle. The deck was still mounted so guy reached in with a large adjustable wrench, slide a piece of pipe over the wrench, and with some effort bent the pivot arm until it looked straight.

As you can see the rider is in great shape. It had a bad oil leak under #2 cylinder which is common for these engines, and the reason it sold for $300. I pulled the engine and replaced the sump cover gasket and it runs great, no leaks. The previous owner took it in for regular service and it shows, the bottom of the sump was spotless after 300 hours.

Thanks for the response.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails file-6.jpeg   file3.jpeg   file2.jpeg   file1-1.jpeg  
    Mike265 likes this.

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Today @ 09:51 AM
    Thanks
    That does look crooked, and with the rest of the belt routing it needs to line up with the other pillows, spindles and guides so I think you are on the right track by straightening it out.... I have to have a look at mine now!

Thanks for the reference on the D, it’s interesting how Deer changes names of things.

You have done well with that machine at $300, since you seem to be mechanically inclines please do yourself the favor of researching the Tufftorq K46 transmission and it’s issues here and in other forums, YouTube etc. they’re service yams at 300 hours of use before you got it I’d really look into at least changing the oil and looking at the unit closely to make sure you get more life from it!

Good luck and just ask if you have any further questions!
    2004-L130

2013-2032r, Curtis Hard side cab (project), H130 FEL & 61"bucket, Artillian Modular Grapple on HD frame with Diverter, 2300# Artillian frame w/ 36" x 3" tines, 46BH 9" & 13" bucket, Frontier RB1060, HLA 1000 series 60" JDQA Snow plow, JD ballast box, RK QH, Homemade 3pt multi purpose hitch, 117W of extra LED lights on ROPS and side Brush guards, Ken's bolt on hooks-3x, Ideal Knife grooved R-4's.

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Today @ 07:55 PM
    Thanks
    That same pulley is also angled like that on the 48" deck on my D160. It's intentional.

If you put the deck on the machine and lower it to mowing height, the belt coming off the engine that is driving the deck is angled. The deck sits several inches lower than the engine pulley. The angle of that pulley is pretty much a half-way transition point between the angle of the belt coming off the engine to the flat plane of the belt across the spindles.

If you take the angle out of that pulley you're likely to find that your belt will jump off the deck pulleys when you are mowing.
    glc likes this.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:57 PM
    Thanks
    The pulley, bracket and arm are fine. Don't mess with it.

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk
    glc likes this.

10. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements