Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: X739 3pt hitch

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    09-13-2019 @ 08:05 AM
    Thanks

X739 3pt hitch

I have seen a lot of hitch setups on here. I am a complete newbie to anything 3pt.

I believe the x739 has a 0 or a 1 category option. I assume one is bigger or stronger? Why would they have both because I am think 1 is the way to go, right?

So I need to buy the arms and install them. That can’t be to bad can it? What is all the discussion about the hitch? Is there a brand that is a no brained if you have nothing?

My goal initially is to add a simple ripper for taking care of roots.

Please tell me your preferences and what I am forgetting to consider.
    On my 2nd JD Tractor. 2018 x739 w/ 47" Snowthrower, 54" HC deck, 14 BU MCS, 48" Dethatcher (Hydraulic), CTC FEL.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Thanks
    I should probably have just asked what’s the best way to handle roots!

I have also seen a front mounted 2” receiver that uses the quick hitch on the front. They make 2” receiver rippers. I was concerned that the front hitch system may not be robust enough for this application. This is definitely a rarely used solution for me but I have a big enough project to justify the costs.

This option of a quick attach receiver w/ a ripper would be great since it has additional utility for me. Can the front system survive ground engagement is the question? Also, do x700 machines have the same pulling ability forward and reverse? I’d need to use this in reverse to take advantage of the break point.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DB991FD9-724A-4699-9297-A4B5FBA8A1E0_1546811942349.jpeg   400A7AD0-49DC-4836-91DD-95114224AE7A_1546811952496.jpeg  
    Last edited by Swazimotto; 01-06-2019 at 04:14 PM.
    On my 2nd JD Tractor. 2018 x739 w/ 47" Snowthrower, 54" HC deck, 14 BU MCS, 48" Dethatcher (Hydraulic), CTC FEL.

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Today @ 03:37 PM
    Thanks
    The rear 3pt arms are a little more involved than just installing 2 arms. The arms use the deck lift to raise and lower, so you have to change the lift strap and change the position of the lift cylinder which also involves changing the hydraulic lines. There is little room where they are located so its a fun time!

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffW View Post
    The rear 3pt arms are a little more involved than just installing 2 arms. The arms use the deck lift to raise and lower, so you have to change the lift strap and change the position of the lift cylinder which also involves changing the hydraulic lines. There is little room where they are located so its a fun time!
    It’s $250 to have installed. That is sounding like a better deal more and more. I don’t mind the wrench time but this has the potential to be very frustrating. Did you do it? How many beers, errr hours?

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:38 PM
    Thanks
    I have the same ripper set up for my 4044M I will use on the rear. There are 2 bolts one is a shear bolt the lower one. For a small tractor I would start off with 3/8" Grade 2 bolt just to see how it hangs up and what happens. I caught a ripper once and tore it out of the slot in my Box Blade on a rock. Be careful using it because it will stop your tractor or break the shear bolt hitting something solid. PS It was designed to be pulled and have the shear bolt work right. Going towards the hitch it may just slam into it?
    Last edited by JD4044M; 01-06-2019 at 04:37 PM.
    Swazimotto likes this.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:23 PM
    Thanks
    When manufacturers first started build 3 point hitch for Garden tractor They Came out with a standard size which traditionally was manufacture by companies such as Brinly & Hardy and Ohio steel made smaller Implements than a standard size Cat 1 implement. Cat 0 Implements actually cost More than a Cat 1 Implement so some Manufacturers started Building smaller sized Cat 1 Implements But offering Optional Cat 0 Pins which you usually had to face in on the Cat 1 Implements Just to Take a market share in the Garden tractor Market without having to do massive re-tooling

Well Deere saw that since Cat 1 Implements were being offered In smaller sizes Do to some of the smaller Compact tractors. Deere decided that there Cat 0 could pick Up at least 450Lbs. Many of these smaller Cat 1 Implement were Under that weight. Deere decided they would design a Modified Cat 1 that could be spaced to Take these smaller Cat 1 implements that weighed Under 450Lbs.

2 Years Later Simplicity Followed suit and By 2005 the Biggest Cat 0 Implements Producer(Brinly & Hardy) stopped Production on Cat 0 implements Because Many were starting to Use either Sub Compacts or they were Buying Cat 1 Implements for the Deere or Simplicity at a Much Lower Price than what they were selling cat 0 implements at. So they Only ended Up Producing limited quantities of OEM Limited Cat 1 for Deere Or simplicity and some Cat 0 for Cub Cadet. A few Year ago that company Just finally went to just sleeve Hitch Implements. Agri-Fab use also Make Cat 0 implements as well. About the Only company I know that still makes Cat 0 Implements is Tuff-Bilt Tuff-bilt Tractor - Tuff-bilt Tractor Systems.

Deere still produces the Cat 0 for the X400 & early X500 because People were Upgrading from the 425 thru 455 to the X400 thru X700 Ultimate series and the 425 thru 455 had Used Cat 0 3point Implements. A good Portion of there Customers had Many Cat 0 implements for those Tractors while they wanted to Upgrade to get 4WD & AWD they may not have wanted to update there 3point Implements. That is why Deere still even Produces the Cat 0 for the X700 Signature series and You Can find a Lot of used Cat 0 Implements On the Market.

I upgraded from a 425 to a X485 In 2003 and I Opted for a Limited Cat 1 3point Hitch because I only had two Cat 0 Implements a JD 450 Tiller and a Worksaver Cat0/1 Blade. All I had to do for the Blade was Order Cat 1 Pins and face them out on the Blade Frame. Then I started amassing more Cat 1 Implements with the X485. I upgrade the X485 to a Used X748 In 2014 also Put a Limited Cat 1 3point and Rear PTO on the X748. I still have the X748 and I also Have a 2025R(Gen II) and for the Most Part I Can use the Cat 1 Implements I have on either the Super Garden tractor or the Small Frame Compact.

The Limited Cat 1 3point is Rated at 450Lbs of Lift to a Limited Height But it will actually lift a bit More Than spec. The Limited Cat 1 arms are also a Bit thicker than the Cat 0. I managed to Bend a Cat 0 arm on My 425 Pushing earth Backwards with My Worksaver rear Blade set up to Push. So that is another reason I suggest You go with a Limited Cat 1 as well. Plus Cat 1 Implements are so Plentiful from Non OEM Manufacturers that cost half as Much as a Deere Implement if You want to save some Money. But still have a quality Built Implement . Another Good reason for getting the Limited Cat 1 is some Day down the road You Might want to Upgrade to a 1 series or 2R Series then You'll already have Rear Mounted Implements that will work on those tractors as well. or You Might do what I did and Have a X700 series and a Compact and Be able to flip flop Implements between the 2 tractors
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20181110_225704.jpg  
    TJR345, Mike265 and Swazimotto like this.
    John Deere Models: 2025RTLB(Gen 2),X748,GX335,140H3,112SF,110RF,Sabre 1542,TX Gator
    Cub Cadet Models:0riginal,70,106,XT3GSX & Experimental Non Production Rear engine rider
    Ingersoll Model:3016PS
    Simplicity Models:Wonder Boy
    White Model: GT2055

MSGT 11 & 18 Series Retired

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Today @ 07:31 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Swazimotto View Post
    It’s $250 to have installed. That is sounding like a better deal more and more. I don’t mind the wrench time but this has the potential to be very frustrating. Did you do it? How many beers, errr hours?
    I installed the Deere 3pt on my X739 about 4 years ago and don't recall it being especially difficult but maybe time has healed the wounds :-) If I remember right my dealer wanted about 4-5 hours to do the job at shop rates so if you can get it done for $250 that's pretty good. It took me most of a day to get it done but that wasn't working on it full time, lots of interruptions for other stuff. The install instructions that come with the Deere hitch are quite good and I don't recall any guess work or going to the internet needed to do the job.
    Swazimotto likes this.
    2008 3320 -- 2014 X739

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    Today @ 03:37 PM
    Thanks
    no beers, I was at work! It was my first one so it took around 6 hours to do the rear arm and rear PTO. Instructions were pretty good, if you are curious there may be someone on here with them so you can see whats involved. $250 is a steal. You would have that easily in beers and anger management afterwards.
    Swazimotto likes this.

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JD4044M View Post
    I have the same ripper set up for my 4044M I will use on the rear. There are 2 bolts one is a shear bolt the lower one. For a small tractor I would start off with 3/8" Grade 2 bolt just to see how it hangs up and what happens. I caught a ripper once and tore it out of the slot in my Box Blade on a rock. Be careful using it because it will stop your tractor or break the shear bolt hitting something solid. PS It was designed to be pulled and have the shear bolt work right. Going towards the hitch it may just slam into it?
    For my needs I think I could just use it in reverse so yes pulling still. However I just don't know if the front quick system can sustain pulling like that? I also wasn't sure about how reverse works compared to forward pulling power.

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    06-16-2019 @ 06:51 PM
    Thanks
    Installing the 3PH is a PITA. I did it in about 3 hours. But, knowing what I know now I would gladly paid $250 to have the dealer do it. The long bar that comes in the kit fell down when I was installing it and it cracked me right across the bridge of my nose. Blood involved in that effort, for sure. Now if you have a way to get under the tractor easily (like a lift) then it would probably not be so bad. Perhaps my nose is bent out of shape on this for a reason .

That said, the 3PH is so darn useful. There are so many uses for it that it's worth every penny to get it installed. I love it and use it all the time: weight bracket, trailer receiver, sprayer, leaf vacuum, aerator, thatcher, carryall, basket, etc. If you go this route, consider the omni hitch or heavy hitch as a starting platform. I think one or both mfr make a middle buster that fits it. Or just get a middle buster from your local tractor store. I have the omni hitch and love it.

As for ripping roots with a GT, maybe it'll work. Maybe not. I would expect to need a lot of extra weight and 4WD to have any chance at any sort of roots much over an inch or so. Just go slow, use your locking diff and pull in a straight line. Don't take a run at it or you'll break something. Start by digging as shallow as you can and gradually go deeper.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast