Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree178Likes

Thread: X738 or Simplicity Legacy XL 4x4

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    09-10-2019 @ 09:17 PM
    Thanks

X738 or Simplicity Legacy XL 4x4

After 5 seasons with my x300 I am almost ready to pull the trigger on a 2019 x738! HOWEVER, in the 80’s I learned to mow on a Simplicty and have always liked the design and premium/“scalp free” cut the rear deck roller bar provides. Once I learned Simplicity offers a 4x4 tractor comparable to the 700 series I thought I had decided on I am not so sure JD is the way to go... I am interested to hear from any members who have owned or do own both and what your feedback and opinions are on the two options. I realize I am asking a loaded question...

Thank you in advance!

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:58 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,125 Times in 958 Posts
    At my wife’s family farm, all the mowing is done with Simplicity garden tractors. The cut is great and I really like the rear roller deck design. I would ask yourself what kind of dealer support you have for each tractor. That might be the deciding factor for me, as you are considering two great machines. Good luck and keep us posted!
    Jamie

2011 JD 1026R - w/60" NON-AutoConnect MMM, FEL w/WR Long Toothbar, 47" Front Mount Snowblower, 54" Front Mount Blade w/ Rubber Edge, 48" KingKutter Tiller & Brush Hog, CountyLine Carry All and CountyLine 60" Rear Blade, Pat's EZ-Change Quick Hitch System
    1990 JD 185 - 46"MMM w/Power Flow Bagger

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ColonyPark For This Useful Post:

KDNitz (01-09-2019)

5. Top | #3

Last Online
    Today @ 05:53 AM
    Thanks
    Both tractors look like great machines. As was mentioned dealer support in your area for either machine should be a big consideration. You will want a local parts and maintenance supply that you can trust.

I have never driven a simplicity tractor but I do like the looks of the one you are looking at. Its like a hybrid between a 1 series JD and the x700 series. I'm sure a few folks wish either their 1 series or x700 had some of the things simplicity put on that tractor. Odd that they didn't put a diesel engine on the simplicity tractor tho.

From my time in my x738 I have to say I love the machine and it hasn't disappointed me yet. I think the machine cuts great and I love the drive over deck design. The only time I get scalping is when I crest steep hills of go over large bump. I would hardly fault the deck design for when that happens I blame the operator. As long as I'm not mowing like an idiot my 54HC deck mows as flat and smooth as I've ever wanted a mower to mow. I think it leaves a better cut than my Honda push mower. I also have the full time mulch kit which works amazingly well in wet of dry grass. I never bag my lawn and I never see a single clump or pile of cut grass after the lawn is cut. It also is very good at making leaves turn into confetti, no more raking or bagging leaves for me.

The 4x4 systems in the two tractors is very different. The Simplicity design is a traditional 4x4 that you can choose to run in 2x4 or 4x4 modes. This is more like the 4x4 system in your average pickup truck. Its a great system and should give you plenty of extra traction when you need it. Its not something you are going want to have on while mowing unless you want your front tires to dig up your lawn.

The x700's have a Hydraulic AWD system. This is a full time system that never turns off. Much like an AWD car you really never notice the AWD system on these tractors you just never get stuck and can seemingly climb over anything. The major difference in the x700 system is the front axle has independent hydraulic motors for each of the front wheels. These motors are driven off the rear axle hydro pump. To front axle also has a hydraulic proportioning valve that adjusts the hydraulic flow to each of the front wheels to allow for smooth and tight turning without ripping up with lawn. This system works amazingly well and my x738 is incredibly nimble for a machine the size it is.

You are looking at two very nice tractors tho. Which one is best for you really depends on what you plan on doing with it and what your land is like.
    ColonyPark, rtgt, BigJim55 and 5 others like this.
    X738, 54HC deck w/ auto connect, 3PH
    Woods GBC48 box scraper
    Day dreaming of a 54" snow blower

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CJadamec For This Useful Post:

Herminator (01-10-2019), KDNitz (01-09-2019)

7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

8. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:28 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,456 Times in 1,581 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CJadamec View Post
    Both tractors look like great machines. As was mentioned dealer support in your area for either machine should be a big consideration. You will want a local parts and maintenance supply that you can trust.

I have never driven a simplicity tractor but I do like the looks of the one you are looking at. Its like a hybrid between a 1 series JD and the x700 series. I'm sure a few folks wish either their 1 series or x700 had some of the things simplicity put on that tractor. Odd that they didn't put a diesel engine on the simplicity tractor tho.

From my time in my x738 I have to say I love the machine and it hasn't disappointed me yet. I think the machine cuts great and I love the drive over deck design. The only time I get scalping is when I crest steep hills of go over large bump. I would hardly fault the deck design for when that happens I blame the operator. As long as I'm not mowing like an idiot my 54HC deck mows as flat and smooth as I've ever wanted a mower to mow. I think it leaves a better cut than my Honda push mower. I also have the full time mulch kit which works amazingly well in wet of dry grass. I never bag my lawn and I never see a single clump or pile of cut grass after the lawn is cut. It also is very good at making leaves turn into confetti, no more raking or bagging leaves for me.

The 4x4 systems in the two tractors is very different. The Simplicity design is a traditional 4x4 that you can choose to run in 2x4 or 4x4 modes. This is more like the 4x4 system in your average pickup truck. Its a great system and should give you plenty of extra traction when you need it. Its not something you are going want to have on while mowing unless you want your front tires to dig up your lawn.

The x700's have a Hydraulic AWD system. This is a full time system that never turns off. Much like an AWD car you really never notice the AWD system on these tractors you just never get stuck and can seemingly climb over anything. The major difference in the x700 system is the front axle has independent hydraulic motors for each of the front wheels. These motors are driven off the rear axle hydro pump. To front axle also has a hydraulic proportioning valve that adjusts the hydraulic flow to each of the front wheels to allow for smooth and tight turning without ripping up with lawn. This system works amazingly well and my x738 is incredibly nimble for a machine the size it is.

You are looking at two very nice tractors tho. Which one is best for you really depends on what you plan on doing with it and what your land is like.

Agree the AWD on the x738 is amazing compared to the x590 . You never do anything except press the pedal down further to keep moving.

Mowing with 54" for the past 200 hrs (on tractor) no scalping .

I'm cann't say this is the way all x738 are but Harleys Gas gauge is a piece of $hit. On level ground and usual mowing its fair to being accurate. But if you 're mowing forward -backward then forward for say 10 times on a slope , gauge will go to empty. More times than once I've come to the garage and put in maybe 1 - 1 1/2 gallon of gas ... plus at times it will seem to run out of gas. and spitting and acting like it wants to quit running.

Of course dealer has checked this out and of course have found no problem.

As CJadamec and others , make sure either dealer has a good support in your area.
    Gene

Have fun and be safe !!!
    USAR 8yr 8 mo SSG 99th ARCOM
    JD 1025R, H120 FEL 54" bucket, 54" mmm Auto Conn, 54" Front blade, JD back hoe ,JD IMatch, 48" Bush Hog tiller, Middlebuster from MF dealer, used King Kutter 5' rear blade, a new 47" JD Front blower and Original Tractor cab w/heater.
    We have a Red Honda Pioneer 700-4 (4 seater) w/soft top , doors, and winch.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to etcallhome For This Useful Post:

KDNitz (01-09-2019)

10. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:02 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by KDNitz View Post
    After 5 seasons with my x300 I am almost ready to pull the trigger on a 2019 x738! HOWEVER, in the 80’s I learned to mow on a Simplicty and have always liked the design and premium/“scalp free” cut the rear deck roller bar provides. Once I learned Simplicity offers a 4x4 tractor comparable to the 700 series I thought I had decided on I am not so sure JD is the way to go... I am interested to hear from any members who have owned or do own both and what your feedback and opinions are on the two options. I realize I am asking a loaded question...

Thank you in advance!
    While I don't own Both I do Use Both ( Just a Little tide bit of Info The Legacy XL all come standard with ROPS) I own a X748(older Version of the X758) I have Barrow My Friends Legacy XL out at My other Property Mowing 16 of 18Acres with the Legacy XL and a 4 Ft Brush Cutter . I also use his Backhoe for the XL as well sometimes. Keep In Mind it's No sub compact tractor Like Briggs & stratton(Simplicitys Parent company since 2006) advertises Or Sub Compact Garden tractor Compared to a 1 series. Deere No Longer Make a Loader for the X700 signature series. But Both a aftermarket Backhoe and Loader are available for the X700 signature series. Which would cost You the same As Simplicities Loader and Backhoe. The Simplicity Legacy XL's Loader & Backhoe are Made By Kwik-way so technically there after Market as well

I was Initially against Deere's use of a Hydraulic front axle In the X700 Ultimate series. But Deere Proved the Hydraulic front Axle to be a Big improvement over the Shift-able 4WD the use Prior to 2008 The AWD system has Less Wheel slippage. Than the 4WD system which Simplicity is still using today was used by Deere Previously till 2008 But Deere actually still had a Better Turn radius back then as wheel with the 4WD system. The Deere AWD turn radius is 25inch's the Simplicity Legacy XL 4WD models in 2WD Mode have a turn Radius 35 inch's and 55inches in 4WD as Far as Maneuverability Goes the X700 Signature series In AWD can run circles around the Legacy XL

X700 Sig series has a auto-Connect system for the deck. The Legacy XL has a drive over deck and a 61inch Fabricated deck as of right now is the only deck available for the Legacy XL.

Basically the Legacy XL has had Mostly cosmetic changes to it since it Introduction in 2004 so in other words it hasn't changed much in 15 years of Production Deere changes there Models out about every 9 to 10 years

You didn't say what You Plan on using it for other Than Mowing The Lawn.

Both the X700 & Legacy XL are Limited Cat 1 3point Hitch Capable Both are Cable of Have a 540RPM rear PTO Probably the Only Nice thing there is the Legacy XL does have a electric Diverter Kit allowing You to shut of Hydraulic Fluid to the front Hydraulic Outlets and use the 3point while Deere Has a Manual Turn Diverter

Both are tiller Capable the Deere also Has a Hydraulic tiller available as well which is run off a PTO Pump when In turn is run off the Mid PTO. So You would Not Need a Rear PTO to do tilling But You would still need the 3 point Hitch. I have Both a Hydraulic tiller and a Rear PTO driven tiller for My X748.

Both are about the same size. except You Have tree catching ROPS on the Legacy XL

If You Just going to be doing Mowing and Garden work( 3point Hitch work) I suggest staying with the X738 Just because it is so Much More Maneuverable then the Legacy XL especially for Mowing duties. Which it sounds like that will be it's Primary Job for You.

I Like Both Machines and there Both great for Garden work and Loader work Only downside is You Have to Buy a aftermarket CTC Loader for the X700 signature series to have a full fledged Loader. While the Legacy XL You Can Buy a OEM Model loader But if You don't need that Again I say go with the Deere.
    John Deere Models: 2025RTLB(Gen 2),X748,GX335,140H3,112SF,110RF,Sabre 1542,TX Gator
    Cub Cadet Models:0riginal,70,106,XT3GSX & Experimental Non Production Rear engine rider
    Ingersoll Model:3016PS
    Simplicity Models:Wonder Boy
    White Model: GT2055

MSGT 11 & 18 Series Retired

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sergeant For This Useful Post:

44JohnDeereBR (01-09-2019), KDNitz (01-09-2019)

12. Top | #6

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:35 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sergeant View Post
    But Both a aftermarket Backhoe and Loader are available for the X700 signature series.
    I'm not sure I've ever seen a backhoe on a x7-series tractor. Didn't know that was a thing.

Rob
    BigJim55 and tj1 like this.
    2016 x758 w/60" HC mower, 54" snowblower, MC519 bagger
    2010 2520 w/61" H130 loader, TA 42" forks, KK 60" Pro tiller, iMatch quick hitch, KK middle buster
    1996 345 - Traded
    Other toys: Stihl BR600 backpack blower; McCulloch chainsaws: 10-10S, 700, 805, 10-10; JD trimmer

2520:__________________________x758:__________________________Faithful 345:___________________

13. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:02 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBlue View Post
    I'm not sure I've ever seen a backhoe on a x7-series tractor. Didn't know that was a thing.

Rob
    Wallenstein Makes One which will fit On the X700 Signature series Because The X700 signature series has the same Basic frame layout as the Previous X465 thru X749 Models. Wallenstein Model 3611A150 4PT mount GX620. The Backhoe will also fit On the 425 thru 455 The owner added the JD decals
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails x-hoe - 3.jpg   Backhoe-3.JPG  
    John Deere Models: 2025RTLB(Gen 2),X748,GX335,140H3,112SF,110RF,Sabre 1542,TX Gator
    Cub Cadet Models:0riginal,70,106,XT3GSX & Experimental Non Production Rear engine rider
    Ingersoll Model:3016PS
    Simplicity Models:Wonder Boy
    White Model: GT2055

MSGT 11 & 18 Series Retired

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Sergeant For This Useful Post:

44JohnDeereBR (01-09-2019)

15. Top | #8
    Last Online
    06-25-2019 @ 10:34 PM
    Thanks
    My next mower is either going to be a Cub Cadet, or a Kubota. The others are either too fair away, or service is terrible.
    JD 2520 MCUT (SOLD)

Looking for a 3xx or 4xx restoration project (at a good price)

16. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:01 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,597 Times in 1,215 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by etcallhome View Post
    I'm cann't say this is the way all x738 are but Harleys Gas gauge is a piece of $hit. On level ground and usual mowing its fair to being accurate. But if you 're mowing forward -backward then forward for say 10 times on a slope , gauge will go to empty.
    My X500 fuel gauge is the same way. If you have less than 3/4 of a tank the slightest grade makes the gauge read near zero and you think you are low on fuel. You have to let the tractor sit on a level surface for a while to get an accurate reading. It seems to be damped like the minute hand on a clock.

I've gotten in the habit of simply putting a couple gallons of fuel in the tank before mowing and pay no mind to what the gauge indicates.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

17. Top | #10
    Last Online
    09-10-2019 @ 09:17 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sergeant View Post
    While I don't own Both I do Use Both ( Just a Little tide bit of Info The Legacy XL all come standard with ROPS) I own a X748(older Version of the X758) I have Barrow My Friends Legacy XL out at My other Property Mowing 16 of 18Acres with the Legacy XL and a 4 Ft Brush Cutter . I also use his Backhoe for the XL as well sometimes. Keep In Mind it's No sub compact tractor Like Briggs & stratton(Simplicitys Parent company since 2006) advertises Or Sub Compact Garden tractor Compared to a 1 series. Deere No Longer Make a Loader for the X700 signature series. But Both a aftermarket Backhoe and Loader are available for the X700 signature series. Which would cost You the same As Simplicities Loader and Backhoe. The Simplicity Legacy XL's Loader & Backhoe are Made By Kwik-way so technically there after Market as well

I was Initially against Deere's use of a Hydraulic front axle In the X700 Ultimate series. But Deere Proved the Hydraulic front Axle to be a Big improvement over the Shift-able 4WD the use Prior to 2008 The AWD system has Less Wheel slippage. Than the 4WD system which Simplicity is still using today was used by Deere Previously till 2008 But Deere actually still had a Better Turn radius back then as wheel with the 4WD system. The Deere AWD turn radius is 25inch's the Simplicity Legacy XL 4WD models in 2WD Mode have a turn Radius 35 inch's and 55inches in 4WD as Far as Maneuverability Goes the X700 Signature series In AWD can run circles around the Legacy XL

X700 Sig series has a auto-Connect system for the deck. The Legacy XL has a drive over deck and a 61inch Fabricated deck as of right now is the only deck available for the Legacy XL.

Basically the Legacy XL has had Mostly cosmetic changes to it since it Introduction in 2004 so in other words it hasn't changed much in 15 years of Production Deere changes there Models out about every 9 to 10 years

You didn't say what You Plan on using it for other Than Mowing The Lawn.

Both the X700 & Legacy XL are Limited Cat 1 3point Hitch Capable Both are Cable of Have a 540RPM rear PTO Probably the Only Nice thing there is the Legacy XL does have a electric Diverter Kit allowing You to shut of Hydraulic Fluid to the front Hydraulic Outlets and use the 3point while Deere Has a Manual Turn Diverter

Both are tiller Capable the Deere also Has a Hydraulic tiller available as well which is run off a PTO Pump when In turn is run off the Mid PTO. So You would Not Need a Rear PTO to do tilling But You would still need the 3 point Hitch. I have Both a Hydraulic tiller and a Rear PTO driven tiller for My X748.

Both are about the same size. except You Have tree catching ROPS on the Legacy XL

If You Just going to be doing Mowing and Garden work( 3point Hitch work) I suggest staying with the X738 Just because it is so Much More Maneuverable then the Legacy XL especially for Mowing duties. Which it sounds like that will be it's Primary Job for You.

I Like Both Machines and there Both great for Garden work and Loader work Only downside is You Have to Buy a aftermarket CTC Loader for the X700 signature series to have a full fledged Loader. While the Legacy XL You Can Buy a OEM Model loader But if You don't need that Again I say go with the Deere.

The primary use will be mowing roughly an acre, excluding the house. 1/3 is fairly level, the other 2/3 is rolling or hilly (one area is about a 25% grade). I bought the x300 and used it for two years at my old house before building my new house. I hadn't planned on moving/building when I bought the x300 or I would have started with a bigger mower. Regardless, I now need at minimum bigger more aggressive tires, positive traction rear end and at least a 54" deck. I originally went to the JD dealer to look at the x590. As it turned out the dealer had the x590 sitting next to a x758 ...and then the x7xx lust started!

I don't really need diesel as I don't see much ground engagement use in the near future and if I'm only mowing an acre of grass I don't know that fuel burn will be a material concern. BUT the heavier weight, wider footprint and AWD of the x738 will allow me the stability and confidence to pull a utility trailer around (with a light load of fire wood), maybe tow the occasional fallen tree, as well as re-position a little 16' center console fishing boat from the basement garage to the main garage without having to run my heavy vehicles through the back yard. Hopefully without rolling me into the lake... The front tow ball attachment is really appealing for the purpose of putting the boat back in the basement garage as the garage entrance is near the 25% grade portion of my yard and maneuvering a trailer in the confined area is tricky.

I made the mistake of showing my wife the video on the Simplicity website of how the "floating deck" works and now she wants to see the real machine (I probably should oblige her this since I am not going to make a $13-15k mower purchase without her being on board). While the 42" deck on the x300 does a fairly decent job it is NOT at the level of what the Simplicity can do in my opinion. So, that is a big plus for the Simplicity as is the 33 HP engine (even though it is a Briggs Big Block). Also, on the surface, I think I like the ability to shift between 2wd and 4wd that the Simplicity offers.

While there are several Simplicity dealers in my area none of them currently have the Legacy XL in stock for me (now us) to look at. So I am in a bit of limbo deciding between the two machines ...but grass won't start growing here for a couple more months.

This is why I appreciate reading all the opinions and perspectives on the JD and Simplicity before I make a final decision. I haven't even looked for a Simplicity forum on the subject ...maybe I have subconsciously already made up my mind on the JD!!!

18. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast