Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Sergeant

Thread: x740 snow thrower

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    06-18-2019 @ 01:28 PM
    Thanks

x740 snow thrower

I have an x740 with some good HDAP tires on the rear but no chains yet. I also have the front brush guard.

My dad has a toro snow thrower similar to this that he is not using... Snow Blowers - Snow Removal Equipment - The Home Depot

Normally winters aren't too bad at my house but we are getting some serious snow and I am having to hire a neighbor with a 4020 (cab and chains) to clear our long gravel driveway which has a little slope. then again when it drifts back in.

I was thinking about trying to mount the snowblower to the front or back of the x740 to blow snow. Do you all have any opinion on whether that would be worth the effort?

Additionally for operators of a x700 series tractor 2wd with chains. How well does your tractor make it through deep snow (say 8 inch snow fall with knee high drifts)?

Thanks for any input.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:32 AM
    Thanks
    Not worth the effort,I would look at CL and find a 47 or 54" blower for it.
    Tom

2019 X590 with power mulch control and PF bagger
    30" mechanical tiller
    02 X595 with 62" deck,front thatcher and powerflow PTO kit
    3pt hitch with Heavy Hitch 45 JD loader
    12 JD suitcase weights
    JD/Brinly 3pt plow
    Frontier SS1036 3pt pto spreader
    (2) JS63C walk behind mowers
    TS 105 JD weed wacker
    tow behind 15 gal. sprayer
    Turftime 60" lawn roller
    Turftime 54" 3pt core aerator

4. The Following User Says Thank You to TJR345 For This Useful Post:

Goat Co (01-24-2019)

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:23 PM
    Thanks
    I agree with TJR345 it's not worth the effort to Mount a walk Behind snow Blower On Your X740. Go with a OEM front quick Hitch mounted Blower and save yourself the Headache

I use to Plow snow with a X485(older version of a X720) for 11 years. I never ran Chains either But I did Run AG tires(R1). I ran 6 suitcase weights On the rear weight Bracket and Plowed snow deeper than 8inches Never Got stuck even though I was Only using the 54inch Front Blade > I know some Member On another forum That TJR345 and I belong to that Just ran HDAP rear tires On there 2WD X700 series and Plowed or blew snow and didn't Have a Problem. If You Have asphalt or Concrete for your driveway and You want to Run Chains I recommend Getting a set of these Superior-Tech | Rubber Tire Chains They won't mark Up a Paved driveway Like chains Can.

I would even recommend a 54inch or 60inch front Blade if You want to save some Money Up front over the cost of a Blower But even it You get the Blower Make sure You get the rear weight Bracket and 6 Suitcase weights BTW You Can save On the cost of suitcase weight here https://heavyhitch.com/product-category/weights/ I do some Plowing Now with a GX335(older Version of a X580) I run HDAP tires, 4 suitcase weights and two 50Lb weight weights and the darn tractor is nearly Unstoppable Plowing snow. In Your case if you ran 6 suitcase weights and wheel weight Your X740 would be pretty Unstoppable Plowing or Blowing snow even without chain's Or Terra-grips

I have Both a Blower and a Blade I find myself actually using the Blade More than the blower in recent years. But I have Multiple Tractors for winter snow removal so I can Have a Blower and Blade set up ready at the same time I actually use 2 Garden tractors GX335 & X748 and 1 compact tractor 2025R for snow removal.

If You have the room on either side of the driveway for snow storage the Front Blade sounds Like it would be excellent for Your situation. Or do as TJR345 suggested and Look for a Used 47inch or 54inch Blower Over even bit the Bullet and go with a New 47inch or 54inch Blower
    North585 and TJR345 like this.
    John Deere Models: 2025RTLB(Gen 2),X748,GX335,140H3,112SF,110RF,Sabre 1542,TX Gator
    Cub Cadet Models:0riginal,70,106,XT3GSX & Experimental Non Production Rear engine rider
    Ingersoll Model:3016PS
    Simplicity Models:Wonder Boy
    White Model: GT2055

MSGT 11 & 18 Series Retired

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Sergeant For This Useful Post:

Goat Co (01-24-2019)

7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

8. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:14 PM
    Thanks
    And if your dad is not using the toro snow thrower maybe you can make a deal with him and you sell it, would make the front blade a little bit cheaper i guess...
    2012 X155R, (european version of the D130)+Texas fertilizer spreader,selfmade trailer, dethachter,chute , bagger, mulch kit.
    Utility Tractors on the farm:
    2018 6175R
    2013 6115M

9. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements