Like Tree10Likes

Thread: 455 AWS pro & con

1. Top | #1
    arm
    Last Online
    09-16-2019 @ 07:36 AM
    Thanks

455 AWS pro & con

I'm in the process thinking of putting this recently purchased tractor back in shape, it was damaged upon delivery. I have mixed feelings on this. Although the damage is not real bad, I guess it's just the feeling I have seeing this very nice tractor damaged this way upon delivery. So far it just sits in the back of one of my sheds not being even looked at by me. Maybe by spring I will get a spark and, try to repair it. Only thought is that it will never be the same again in my mind. Delivery was made by a friend....guess he never operated one like it....900 hours on this machine, was mint. I'm not very happy about this.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN4678.JPG  

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:29 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,030 Times in 2,510 Posts
    Is it just the hood that's damaged? They are still available.
    fdmars and Herminator like this.
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:24 PM
    Thanks
    The body parts are the same as the 425 & 445. Often dealers and other used tractor peddlers will have these in their boneyards.

You could also try a WTB post on Craig's list for a non-running salvage unit.
    fdmars and Herminator like this.
    2017 1025R TLB & 2017 1025R FEL
    2*54 Mower Decks w/Independent Lift
    2*47 Snow Blowers
    2*Cozy Cab
    2*Heavy Hitch Receiver Hitch w/Dual Suitcase Weight Brackets, Storage Cart, & 1*Front Suitcase Weight Bracket
    50" Wicked Root Grapple
    Land Pride LR1560 Land Rake w/ wide gauge wheels & plow blade
    BXpanded Backhoe Dolly
    MCS20 Leaf/clippings hopper
    647 Tiller
    2001 455 AWS & 1999 455 AWS--Both Sold

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Today @ 08:07 PM
    Thanks
    If its just the sheet metal and that bracket, all of that is available either new or used. It looks like you could even repair and repaint that pretty easy.

It certainly wouldn't stop me from using a nice diesel tractor like that tho.
    fdmars likes this.
    X738, 54HC deck w/ auto connect, 3PH
    Woods GBC48 box scraper
    Day dreaming of a 54" snow blower

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:01 PM
    Thanks
    I would fix, would seem worth it
    2009 JD 2305 w/ Femco folding ROPS,Power Beyond Kit, KBOH, 54"MMM, 47" Snowblower, 200CX Loader w/ BB, Powerhorse 12 ton Logsplitter and King Kutter tool carrier and 17P kart
    2009 Cub Cadet/Yanmar ex3200, Land Pride 60” land plane and 60” finish mower, worksaver posthole digger w/ 9” auger, “The thumb” add on grapple, third function valve and KBOH of course

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Today @ 11:36 AM
    Thanks
    It looks like they backed it on the trailer & did not tie the hood down.
    Kioti CK3510SE HST, Kioti KL4030 Loader, John Deere 655 Tiller, Frontier LR2072 Landscape Rake, Virnig V50 Pallet Forks, Woods GB60 Box Blade
    John Deere X739 AWS 4X4, 60HC Auto Connect Deck, Front grader blade.
    John Deere 825i Gator

John Deere Tractors I have owned in the past.
    425 AWS, 455, 4400, 2210, 4710, 2320, 2720, X475, 1026R, 4120, 2025R

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    06-16-2019 @ 06:51 PM
    Thanks
    It's definitely worth fixing. Really nice tractors especially with AWS. The hood is composite material and pretty pricey. But if you can get it straightened out enough to close, just use it like it is. If you have a body and fender friend, ask them what could be done with it. The hood is identical to 425 and 445 tractors. If you look long enough and wide enough you will occasionally see a parts tractor for sale.
    fdmars and SulleyBear like this.

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:36 PM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,490 Times in 1,399 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gittyup View Post
    It's definitely worth fixing. Really nice tractors especially with AWS. The hood is composite material and pretty pricey. But if you can get it straightened out enough to close, just use it like it is. If you have a body and fender friend, ask them what could be done with it. The hood is identical to 425 and 445 tractors. If you look long enough and wide enough you will occasionally see a parts tractor for sale.
    A local body shop legend, who happened to be a Deere tractor enthusiast, personally made the repair of my 455 hood his project. I had broken the mounting points on the hood when the snow plow failed to trip because the "J bolts" on the plow accidentally re-seated and locked the plow after a previous plow trip, when the mold board slammed back up under spring tension. The bolts snapped into the locking holes and I didn't notice it. Tough lesson learned.

Expensive lesson learned also, as it broke the hood, both side panels when my knees rammed into the rear edge of the hood and side panels and sheared off every mounting position on both. I also broke my thumb which was on the steering wheel and when my chest struck the steering wheel, I cracked the cross bars in the steering wheel with the force. The amazing thing was I had only moved forward less than 15 feet from a stop when this happened. The stop was instant and violent for as low as the speed of the tractor was.

Besides the $400 for the hood and about the same for the side panels with new decals, I thought I would attempt to have them professionally repaired. When the man who owned the very successful body shop and I knew him from working on other projects, saw the hood, he was eager to attempt to re-bond the mounting points on the inside of the hood. He did a beautiful job bonding in replacement hardware to secure the hood as it was OEM. He painted the inside of the hood after his repairs and then buffed the exterior of the hood. It looked better than new when he was done. He also repaired the side panel mounting points.

The side panels held up over the years but the hood mounting points failed and the bonding broke from the vibration. After that, I removed the mounting points which had been bonded in place and drilled the hood and bought chrome carriage bolts and installed them with the heads on top of the hood. Thats been how it has been the last 10 years and it works fine. Of course, they had to be chrome as regular carriage bolts would look like a repair where the chrome carriage bolts actually looked Ok on the hood. I had several instances before I drilled the hood where I would be plowing or blowing snow head on into the wind and the wind would lift the leading edge of the hood and it was only a matter of time before it would fly off and be destroyed.

I even use the front two carriage bolts to hold a headlight plow bar with LED lights on it, for when using the plow or blower. I remove the light bar in the spring and hang the light bar on the wall until next winter. It dramatically improved the lights out front by raising them about 10" above the hood and using the LED lights. The mounting bracket for the lights is just aluminum strap stock with two 90 degree bends to create the vertical supports and two more 90 degree bends to use as the mounting points on the hood bolts, very simple but effective. Also light weight on the hood and mounting bolts.
    -
    rydplrs and gittyup like this.

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:05 PM
    Thanks
    I would fix it. Diesel AWS from that era are getting hard to find.
    J
    John Deere 2030 w/245SL Loader
    John Deere 6415 w/640SL Loader
    John Deere 285 50" deck Stolen May 2017
    John Deere x485 62" deck AWS
    Kawasaki Mule 2510 4x4 bought new 1996
    Ford F250 4x4 bought new 1978

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:47 AM
    Thanks
    Maybe you should sell it to some one like me and take your mind off the whole thing
    Kennyd likes this.
    2009 2520 200cx loader 46 Back Hoe 403 Rotary Cutter Artillian forks + 54" Snowblower
    1995 455 w/60" deck

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast