x590 oil leak
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 33
Like Tree49Likes

Thread: x590 oil leak

  1. Top | #1

    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Last Online
    01-31-2019 @ 07:44 AM
    Posts
    7
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    x590 oil leak

    I normally park the x590 with the mower deck or snowblower in the down position since it will drift there anyway. After cleaning up after out last snow fall I parked it in the garage with the snowblower up so that the melting snow would drop off easier.

    When I went out there a few days later there was a small pool of oil under the front of the tractor where the snowblower attaches. Reflecting on this I had noticed some marks on the tarp I park it on when cutting grass after my wife had used it and didn't lower the deck. I had assumed it was just grass drippings since it had rained. Now I am wondering if that was oil also.

    I know that the valve for the lift is one way and uses the weight of the attachment to lower. I am going to crawl under it later to take a look, but is the oil leak normal or is it likely coming out of the cylinder or hoses?

  2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. Top | #2
    jgayman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:27 PM
    Location
    Central Pennsylvania
    Posts
    9,767
    Thanks
    366
    Thanked 1,601 Times in 1,216 Posts
    An oil leak is never normal. It could be coming from anywhere. You will need to inspect the cylinder rod seal and all hose attachments points to try and localize the leak. It may just be a loose fitting which is quite common.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

  4. Top | #3
    BOBL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:02 AM
    Location
    Boston north east
    Posts
    235
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 27 Times in 23 Posts
    I own a 580 and your 590 hydraulics are the same. You said that you noticed a leak but where exactly. If you noticed it after doing the lawn the fluid would drip on the deck first if coming from the hydraulic cylinder or hoses in that area. And, neither the blower, blade, or deck are lifted using separate hydraulics so anything under those attachments would be suspect. Can you narrow it down a bit? What about steering? That could be the culprit also.
    JD4044M likes this.
    JD X738
    48" deck, 3pt hitch, 54" blade w/ full hydraulics, quick attach
    48" York rake, 56" box blade, mid row buster, dethatcher, aerator, 900lb roller
    Various Heavy Hitch adapters, ball hitch, hook, 2" sleeve hitch, etc..
    3200lb. hitch mounted winch
    Polar 1700 3/4 ton cart with side rails
    Power King 5" 15HP towable chipper

    Kubota G2000S w/ 4w steering, hydraulics, 60" deck

    Vietnam Veteran

  5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. Top | #4

    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Last Online
    01-31-2019 @ 07:44 AM
    Posts
    7
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Well I was way off base on this. I was able to crawl under the tractor and look for the leak. None of the hydraulics were leaking but I found some oil on the frame.

    I traced that and found that I have a leak around a valve cover. I cleaned up what was wet and it didn't show any more oil, but I am sure if I turned it over it would leak again.

    It will go off to the dealer for repair, but I am wondering how urgent this is. I checked the oil level and it was fine. It would be nice if I could wait until it was time to switch from the snowblower to the mower deck. I don't get a lot of snow; in a normal winter I would get one or two more snowfalls that I would use the x590 on for about an hour each time. If I am willing to deal with cleaning up the oil on the garage floor will I risk serious damage?
    glc and JD4044M like this.

  7. Top | #5
    jgayman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:27 PM
    Location
    Central Pennsylvania
    Posts
    9,767
    Thanks
    366
    Thanked 1,601 Times in 1,216 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zelmo View Post
    Well I was way off base on this. I was able to crawl under the tractor and look for the leak. None of the hydraulics were leaking but I found some oil on the frame.

    I traced that and found that I have a leak around a valve cover. I cleaned up what was wet and it didn't show any more oil, but I am sure if I turned it over it would leak again.

    It will go off to the dealer for repair, but I am wondering how urgent this is. I checked the oil level and it was fine. It would be nice if I could wait until it was time to switch from the snowblower to the mower deck. I don't get a lot of snow; in a normal winter I would get one or two more snowfalls that I would use the x590 on for about an hour each time. If I am willing to deal with cleaning up the oil on the garage floor will I risk serious damage?
    Did you check to ensure the valve cover bolts are tight? Be careful as those bolts are only to be torqued to 4.35 ft-lb (which isn't much).

    If the oil leak is very small and the bolts are tight I would keep a very close watch on the oil level before and after you run the tractor and add oil as needed to keep the level at the full mark. You should be able to nurse it until spring.
    glc, Gebada22 and JD4044M like this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

  8. Top | #6

    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Last Online
    01-31-2019 @ 07:44 AM
    Posts
    7
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Thank you.

    I called the dealer and they basically said the same thing. I will check those bolts tomorrow.
    glc and jgayman like this.

  9. Top | #7

    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:26 PM
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    345
    Thanks
    128
    Thanked 86 Times in 70 Posts
    I agree with jgayman. Just run it a while and check the frame where you first saw the oil. Hopefully it does not run off to drip on the muffler or exhaust pipe. It might be such a small amount that wiping it off after each use will keep it in check. If you get lucky with a loose bolt, the problem might be solved.


    tommyhawk

  10. Top | #8
    JD4044M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:13 PM
    Location
    Okanogan, Washington State
    Posts
    2,712
    Thanks
    1,590
    Thanked 579 Times in 387 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    Did you check to ensure the valve cover bolts are tight? Be careful as those bolts are only to be torqued to 4.35 ft-lb (which isn't much).

    If the oil leak is very small and the bolts are tight I would keep a very close watch on the oil level before and after you run the tractor and add oil as needed to keep the level at the full mark. You should be able to nurse it until spring.
    I nursed a oil leak for 13 years on my Massey 135 I was not going to split my tractor for a Rear Seal leaking a quart every few months of use on a tractor with 11,000 hours on the tractor original engine. Sold it and told the guy about it and the hours he was still happy to get the tractor. I had gallons of barely used oil from my Semi Truck I just put in it. I changed my oil in the Water Tender every year and it would only have a few 1,000 miles on it!
    Last edited by JD4044M; 01-25-2019 at 03:26 PM.

  11. Top | #9
    BOBL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:02 AM
    Location
    Boston north east
    Posts
    235
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 27 Times in 23 Posts
    Take it back to the dealer?? Whatever happened to removing the valve cover and putting on a new gasket with a bit of #2 Permatex to make sure it never leaked again????? Kids, all the same.
    darkrt likes this.
    JD X738
    48" deck, 3pt hitch, 54" blade w/ full hydraulics, quick attach
    48" York rake, 56" box blade, mid row buster, dethatcher, aerator, 900lb roller
    Various Heavy Hitch adapters, ball hitch, hook, 2" sleeve hitch, etc..
    3200lb. hitch mounted winch
    Polar 1700 3/4 ton cart with side rails
    Power King 5" 15HP towable chipper

    Kubota G2000S w/ 4w steering, hydraulics, 60" deck

    Vietnam Veteran

  12. Top | #10

    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Last Online
    01-31-2019 @ 07:44 AM
    Posts
    7
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BOBL View Post
    Take it back to the dealer?? Whatever happened to removing the valve cover and putting on a new gasket with a bit of #2 Permatex to make sure it never leaked again????? Kids, all the same.
    Because it is still under warranty.
    glc and JD4044M like this.

  13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts