Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: John Deere Mower Paint

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:04 PM
    Thanks

John Deere Mower Paint

Talked my son into buying a D130 mower a couple years back. We went to a small dealer picked it up and have used it 3 years now. While getting it ready for spring I noticed the paint pealing in a couple spots. Removed the deck and notice a lot more flaking paint underneath. So I started stripping things down and began noticing paint pealing everywhere. In fact it is so bad I am ashamed I talked him to buying one of these green machines. I know we are not the only one to find this problem so my question is how did some of you others deal with the problem? It appears there is no primer anywhere or if there is any it did not bond to the metal. I just don't think there is any. Will I just be better to strip the entire body and repaint? (Checked around and decals don't seem to be available). I have considered coating the underside with bed liner coating. I have used that stuff on some old automobiles and it seem to stand up well but they don't mow grass either. I think this is the worst paint job I have ever seen on a piece of John Deere machinery. Then the deck is doing the same thing.

Any suggestions?

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    06-25-2019 @ 10:34 PM
    Thanks
    You bought the economy tractor: Just scrape it off and spray with the rattle can stuff from JD.
    glc, coaltrain and darkrt like this.
    JD 2520 MCUT (SOLD)

Looking for a 3xx or 4xx restoration project (at a good price)

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    07-21-2019 @ 05:37 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky717 View Post
    Talked my son into buying a D130 mower a couple years back. We went to a small dealer picked it up and have used it 3 years now. While getting it ready for spring I noticed the paint pealing in a couple spots. Removed the deck and notice a lot more flaking paint underneath. So I started stripping things down and began noticing paint pealing everywhere. In fact it is so bad I am ashamed I talked him to buying one of these green machines. I know we are not the only one to find this problem so my question is how did some of you others deal with the problem? It appears there is no primer anywhere or if there is any it did not bond to the metal. I just don't think there is any. Will I just be better to strip the entire body and repaint? (Checked around and decals don't seem to be available). I have considered coating the underside with bed liner coating. I have used that stuff on some old automobiles and it seem to stand up well but they don't mow grass either. I think this is the worst paint job I have ever seen on a piece of John Deere machinery. Then the deck is doing the same thing.

Any suggestions?
    It all depends on how far you want to you go with correcting the pealing.. I cleaned up the rust spots on my tractor with a wire brush on a drill and a sander.. The deck I stripped and had media blasted.. I purchased the paint from the dealer and repainted everything with a cheap HVLP gun.. I used rust-oleum primer, some in rattle cans, and some from a qt.. you just have to give it plenty of time to dry.. My 265 project.. It looks good and stopped the rust from getting worse..

When I had the deck blasted the shop that did it told me it was originally powder coated. It was pealing off in big flakes.. but it is also 30 years old.. I plan to pull the deck every winter check it and touch it up as needed..

You can also get the decals if you want to replace them.. They are on ebay under the JD part number.. I would also ask the dealer..
    glc, SulleyBear, TJR345 and 2 others like this.
    1988 John Deere 265 with 46" mower deck, Power Flow Bagger, Dethatcher, 1976 John Deere 100 with 34" mower deck,

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:50 PM
    Thanks
    Last year I did my deck (20 years old) stripped it down,sanded,repaired a couple of spots,primed and painted.I brushed Rustoleum primer and JD yellow on the underside.The top I did the same but also sprayed JD brand yellow for a final coat.
    If I can still get decals at a dealer for a 20 year old deck you should have no problem on a 3 year old.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1844.jpg   IMG_1840.jpg   IMG_1855.jpg   IMG_1858.jpg  
    glc, North585, DRobinson and 6 others like this.
    Tom

2019 X590 with power mulch control and PF bagger
    30" mechanical tiller
    02 X595 with 62" deck,front thatcher and powerflow PTO kit
    3pt hitch with Heavy Hitch 45 JD loader
    12 JD suitcase weights
    JD/Brinly 3pt plow
    Frontier SS1036 3pt pto spreader
    (2) JS63C walk behind mowers
    TS 105 JD weed wacker
    tow behind 15 gal. sprayer
    Turftime 60" lawn roller
    Turftime 54" 3pt core aerator

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks

John Deere Mower Paint

Thanks for the replies.

Today I did some more cleaning and the more I cleaned the more flaking paint I found. The deck itself I think the only paint left is that on the mounting brackets. It pealed in pieces some as large as my hand. I did go get some rattle cans of Rustolem to prime the underside of the tractor body with and will do the same with the deck. I have some paint from John Deere enough to paint the tractor body with but no yellow. I will get that next wk when I go check on decals. I have a wet sand blaster used with a pressure washer and haven't decided to use it or just do a paint stripper and wash it all off and start over.

This mower came straight from a dealer. NOW that don't mean it might not have been made for a box store but that is sure not where it came from. Who knows what dealers do. I have been following the forum on tractors sold for current models only to find they are a year or so old. My only thought was why would a company destroy some of their reputation putting their name on something with this kind of quality no matter where it is sold?

All the mechanical parts except the steering sector check out fine just the lousy paint job. The steering sector has all the teeth worn off on one end and is getting changed out as soon as the parts arrive.
    glc, SulleyBear and Mike265 like this.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:00 PM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,490 Times in 1,399 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky717 View Post
    Thanks for the replies.

Today I did some more cleaning and the more I cleaned the more flaking paint I found. The deck itself I think the only paint left is that on the mounting brackets. It pealed in pieces some as large as my hand. I did go get some rattle cans of Rustolem to prime the underside of the tractor body with and will do the same with the deck. I have some paint from John Deere enough to paint the tractor body with but no yellow. I will get that next wk when I go check on decals. I have a wet sand blaster used with a pressure washer and haven't decided to use it or just do a paint stripper and wash it all off and start over.

This mower came straight from a dealer. NOW that don't mean it might not have been made for a box store but that is sure not where it came from. Who knows what dealers do. I have been following the forum on tractors sold for current models only to find they are a year or so old. My only thought was why would a company destroy some of their reputation putting their name on something with this kind of quality no matter where it is sold?

All the mechanical parts except the steering sector check out fine just the lousy paint job. The steering sector has all the teeth worn off on one end and is getting changed out as soon as the parts arrive.
    The big box stores put a lot of pressure on the manufacturers and once one major brand has jumped on board (Cub Cadet) Deere likely felt they couldn't afford to miss out on the market. Sadly, the consumer culture has shifted 180 degrees over the last 20 years and now for many people, price is everything. It's the "Walmart mentality" and in many ways, it's a race to the bottom in quality to consistently meet ever lowering price points.

I personally think that while Deere is introduced to a new market of consumers in the big box mowers sold, it's such a departure to marginal quality, it's tough for those who are quality conscious as I am and it sounds like you are. My new neighbor wanted to buy a mower and went to the box stores. I talked him into going with me to the dealer and he bought a D160. The thing which really surprised me, is after he tried to beat the dealer down even more on price, then he turned around and bought the longest extended warranty he could buy from the dealer, which if I recall, was about 25% of the price of the tractor......I really tried to get him to buy a really nice used 3xx Deere, an older one with the liquid cooled engine, but he insisted on "new" with the warranty. In my opinion, he ended up with a lesser tractor than had he bought the older machine I wanted him to own.

I have seen so many of the D series machines at the dealer with 200 and 300 hours on them and they are really showing signs of serious wear and in many cases, they are worn like Deere's older machines with 3,000 hours on them. The Deere dealers really don't want them as trade in units and often scrap the trade in units of the economy line if they are "worn" because they don't want the hassles of selling the used machine which is falling apart.

I found this article recently which speaks to the Big Box store and Walmart mentality. While the article is several years old, the premise of the story very much applies still today. It's about the Snapper Brand equipment and their experience with WalMart. It shows how the retailers demands can be very damaging for the brand and decisions have to be made which are at the core of the question you raised about Deere's selling of machines in the Home Depot and Lowe's stores. Personally, I think this CEO likely saved the Snapper brand from destruction with his decisions.

The Man Who Said No to Wal-Mart
    glc, spferdil and Mike265 like this.

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SulleyBear For This Useful Post:

Herminator (01-28-2019), HVACguy (01-31-2019)

10. Top | #7

Last Online
    09-02-2019 @ 09:18 AM
    Thanks
    I liked the Man who said No to Walmart story. It has been floating around in the OPE world and still brings a smile. I never followed Snapper real close as there wasn't many of them where ever I lived. I had a rep tell me once that in the south , if you aren't mowing your grass with a Snapper, you're not mowing grass. Now the Snapper parts for me come from my Briggs distributor like a Murray part as they own Snapper and Simplicity too now.

To the OP. It isn't terribly uncommon to have deck delamination up top. Likely it is finished electrostatically as it saves a lot on material and is much more friendly than traditional methods. I've seen the bed liner on the underside only once. A guy had tossed his belt and thought that his spindle had seized. After a period of time, the liner shrunk and cracked and held the blade. I scraped all the bed liner off and I can say that the guy who applied it did a heck of a job on prep. But years later, it bit him. In my experience, there isn't a coating that is reliable on the underside for most folks. It just gets blasted off. It probably doesn't need it either. I'm sure that you will have the top looking ship shape.
    Herminator likes this.

11. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:57 PM
    Thanks
    We see paint peeling on mowers from time to time. The older L, LA mowers were bad for it. Haven't seen much of it on the D series. Deere says if the paint peels off and there is rust free metal underneath, then it is due to poor prep. If there is rust under the peeling paint then it is due to the environment. If your machine has rust free metal under the peeling paint I would contact your dealer and see if Deere will step up and help out. Have some pics ready to show the dealer.
    As stated, this doesn't happen all the time but it does happen. I dont believe Deere is doing crappy work or cutting corners on purpose. Also there is no difference in a D130 from the BBS or from the dealer. Still a D130. For every one that has peeling paint there are 500k that don't.

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk
    glc, DRobinson, JimR and 3 others like this.

12. Top | #9

Last Online
    Thanks

John Deere Mower Paint

Got up with rain again this morning so made a trip to dealer where we bought the mower and had quite a discussion. It seems that dealers carry the same machines as the box stores. If it is the same model number then it is the same no matter where you buy. The dealers are carrying larger machines which are not carried at box stores and they usually try and switch you to one of these models. Since box stores were picking up some many sales usually had by dealers they had to get into the game. My only reply to that was you did not even try to switch us to something else. The same model machines all use the same part numbers. In the past they had some indication that the two places carried different machines but no more.We would have bought something different if we had known. I have been buying equipment here for years and was just disappointed in our purchase. Moral of story don't depend on dealers know what you want and what you are buying then do your dealing.

I just wonder how many unsuspecting people have fell into the same trap thinking we were getting one thing and got something else.

Enough said. I cleaned the mower deck down today and did not have a square foot of paint left on the whole mower that was bonded to the metal. So I will take it and get a good sand blast then prime it with Extend and give it a couple good coats of paint.
    Herminator likes this.

13. Top | #10
    Last Online
    06-25-2019 @ 10:34 PM
    Thanks
    I think if you're not at least looking into the mid-X500 series, you're wasting your time and money buying a Deere. If you want MTD quality, go buy an MTD and save a pile of cash.
    JD 2520 MCUT (SOLD)

Looking for a 3xx or 4xx restoration project (at a good price)

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast