Briggs or Kawasaki

Thread: Briggs or Kawasaki

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    11-14-2010 @ 08:03 AM
    Thanks

Briggs or Kawasaki

If I recall correctly.The L series run Brigggs and the x-series run kawasaki.Anyone have any experience with these newer engines.And is the horse power rated the same so as 22hp will be 22hp in either unit?How about longevity and ease of start.I know you can't buy your choice in either unit .That being said you'd have to buy the upgraded x-series to get the kawi.More $ but better machine.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    04-16-2016 @ 09:17 PM
    Thanks
    oakboy,
    First the L series had the Kohler engine at least my L130 does. The LA series has the Briggs and the X300 and up have the Kawasaki. Really haven't had any problem with most of these but at any rate my next one will be the X749 with diesel.

If I was pulling the mowers as you explained I would go with an X500 series for longer life.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    06-05-2014 @ 02:22 PM
    Thanks
    I agree with Jenk. My 316 had a Kohler and that engine did well. My 445 has the kaw and its nice. Maintenance is very easy as well as the durability. I also have a brute force 750 kaw and it has been a great machine. I think the kaw engines are right up there with Honda, and in most cases have much better performance.

With that said, my next lawn tractor will be the x749 diesel also. If I let my grass get too long, my 445 will bog while mowing. I would love to have the power to be able to not worry about the yard if I was on vacation. Most times I have to have it cut other wise I will have to slow down to a crawl so I don't bog the tractor.

As long as the emissions don't come down to the smaller tractors. Diesel is the way to go. I use our diesel gator everywhere and it sips fuel!

Brian

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Thanks
    The 700 series is a nice tractor.The problem is the price about $11000 .Now for about the same price one could go with the compact series .Think the number is 2205 or 2305 This is a full 4x4 also a larger size.Hard to believe one could wear it out in a life time.What are your thoughts on this.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    04-16-2016 @ 09:17 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by oakboy View Post
    The 700 series is a nice tractor.The problem is the price about $11000 .Now for about the same price one could go with the compact series .Think the number is 2205 or 2305 This is a full 4x4 also a larger size.Hard to believe one could wear it out in a life time.What are your thoughts on this.
    In your case with a wide open field there is no advantage in the X700 series when compared to the 2305. In my case where I am operating on dense lots with a multitude of trees and steep slopes the X749 is more manueverable. In some ways the 2305 is a good choice and is sort of an 8 in 1 tool whereas the X749 excells as a lawn mower. The X749 has FWD with separate front wheel motors which reduce scuffing in turns because they can run at different speeds. The 2305 with mfwd will scuff the turf more in turns but still works well for most jobs. As far as the size of the machines the 2305 weighs about 100 lbs more so it isn't really much bigger and the engines are the same too.

Your in a rather unique position in that you have been satisfied with pulling these two decks and it appears that this has worked for you. Anthing you do to upgrade very much will be much bigger bucks, If I were going to recomend a single tractor and engine arrangement I would consider a 3720 with the widest rear finish mower the tractor could operate. The X500 series would be the cheapest way to go to reduce your time using the existing decks.
    Last edited by jenkinsph; 09-23-2010 at 10:08 PM.

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks
    I think what I need to do is see these two units side by side. I like the Idea of the 2 front drive wheels no scuffing.I like the power steering and the 4x4 Thanks

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    06-05-2014 @ 02:22 PM
    Thanks
    They are very nice units. I sat on a x749 at the dealership today. WOW.... But I have a very, very hard time justifying the cost of it. Right next to it was a z925. Very nice, but the same price. Thats a ton of money just to mow the lawn!

We have a 4110 that I use at the farm to maintain the grass and the drive. I really think you would like that sized tractor. It would be like the new 1023R or like a 2305, but nicer. That would allow you to tow you pull behinds and have a large deck, also have a loader that would be fairly capable, and a nice plow or blower, while still letting you work a garden or food plot.

A 3x20 would be nice also, but the price is getting to 20K, but it would do everything you want and more!

Brian

10. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements