Green Tractor Talk banner

Electric PTO kills engine on a JD 180

10K views 15 replies 5 participants last post by  golfcartchris 
#1 ·
All, I have just finished restoring my JD 180.. I still have the deck removed from the mower.. I have one issue...

When I go to engage the mower PTO the engine shuts off. And not like it’s choking out the motor but more of just the ignition is shutting off.

The previous owener had jumper wires in the neutral safety switch and also the seat switch.

Any simple ideas before I start reading into the wiring?

The PTO does move freely by hand and will turn for a split second before turning off.

Chris

Thanks chris

#2 ·
It's usually the seat safety switch that causes that. Check the seat switch. It shouldn't be the neutral, it should be the seat. If it was the neutral it shouldn't start.

You do have to be sitting on the seat to engage the PTO. So if you are trying it standing next to it, that won't work.

I suppose it could be a loose connection on the PTO switch too. Usually the seat.

Reactions: rydplrs
#8 ·
Pto Engine Kill

You want the seat switch to simulate "On-Seat"... . By schematic, it would just be a matter of unplugging Safety Switch, IE no jumper required! (Unless I'm Missing something!) Is this a new Tractor for you? When did it start misbehaving? I've had 140's, 316, 317, and currently 3-318's! Any one, will start and run with driver "off seat"(as long as, Neutral Switch is satisfied, and PTO switch is off!) It's the PTO Switch that activates the Seat Circuit ! I'd revisit that schematic.......

#11 ·
You want the seat switch to simulate "On-Seat"... . By schematic, it would just be a matter of unplugging Safety Switch, IE no jumper required! (Unless I'm Missing something!) Is this a new Tractor for you? When did it start misbehaving? I've had 140's, 316, 317, and currently 3-318's! Any one, will start and run with driver "off seat"(as long as, Neutral Switch is satisfied, and PTO switch is off!) It's the PTO Switch that activates the Seat Circuit ! I'd revisit that schematic.......
Thank you Scotty, yes this is a new project for me. I have built it back up from the frame up..

With that said the previous owner had an eclectic Fuel Pump on it, so going back to original there.

However I have seems to be getting close the PTO will spin for a few seconds and the motor shuts off. I have followed the schematic I’m just trying to trace where this Pink / Black wire goes from the sensor on the Carb.. I had found it taped in with some other PTO / Keyswitch wires...

#10 ·
Well made some progress this morning.

I found some wires that have Been spliced, I think the previous owner burnt out the PTO switch..

Anyways I found he had a PINK / Black wire running from the sensor under the carb. (Which I cant find anywhere) on the schematic where it should go. He had it running with the yellow from keyswitch Into the Yellow on the PTO switch..

#13 ·
The first photo is how I found it..

The second photo shows where the Yellow A / and PTO wires were spliced with the Pink / Black wire coming from the Carb..

Attachments

#15 · (Edited)
Okay that helps me find the right schematic for you now. I will post it.:bigthumb:

Sorry that is the highest I have for the serial number range. My manual is TM1351 date April 1988

You have a fuel shutoff solenoid valve on the carb.

Do you have a local JD dealer? See if they will print the you, the correct schematic. Mine are usually helpful, because it means parts sell are coming from me.

#16 ·
Okay that helps me find the right schematic for you now. I will post it.

Sorry that is the highest I have for the serial number range. My manual is TM1351 date April 1988

You have a fuel shutoff solenoid valve on the carb.

Do you have a local JD dealer? See if they will print the you, the correct schematic. Mine are usually helpful, because it means parts sell are coming from me.
Ok thank you I will look for that.

I should have all the schematics, I have the service and parts manual.. Thank you, I will look for the fuel solonide and trace that back..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.