Speaking of plows, how would you...
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree147Likes

Thread: Speaking of plows, how would you...

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Today @ 10:14 AM
    Thanks

Speaking of plows, how would you...

Another person was asking about plowing capabilities of the x7-series in a different thread here. As I was out blowing more from this weekends significant 'blizzard' event (it wasn't a true blizzard here, but heavy blowing snow for a day) it got me to thinking. If you had a tractor-mounted plow how would you go about something like this path I clear between the house and shed? This is just over the lawn, so I wouldn't want to open a path 2 or 3 tractor widths wide. And this was from a single snow event... This path was cleared 3 days ago. I wasn't home to keep at it every few hours like I'd imagine you'd have to do with a plow.

For perspective, in the first pic if you look towards the right front corner of the shed there is a full size picnic table you can barely see and a 30" downed maple tree trunk closer to the tractor buried in the drift.

As you can see, the deepest parts of the drifted snow were deeper than the drift cutter bars on the 54" blower.

And a side comment... I can't imaging having a 47" blower for this type of thing. With the 54" blower I was able to keep pushing ahead, backing up, repeat. If the path were 7" narrower I'm guessing I'd have had to keep widening out the area or else get stuck because the back end always slides around a little as you spin and it's difficult to go completely straight.

Rob
    2016 x758 w/60" HC mower, 54" snowblower, MC519 bagger
    2010 2520 w/61" H130 loader, TA 42" forks, KK 60" Pro tiller, iMatch quick hitch, KK middle buster
    1996 345 - Traded
    Other toys: Stihl BR600 backpack blower; McCulloch chainsaws: 10-10S, 700, 805, 10-10; JD trimmer

2520:__________________________x758:__________________________Faithful 345:___________________

2. The Following User Says Thank You to BigBlue For This Useful Post:

Gizmo2 (02-27-2019)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

4. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 08:14 PM
    Thanks
    If it was me and I hadn't done any plowing with the storm and was facing this I would put the bucket on and do it the hard way, all the time wishing I had a nice blower like yours!
    Kennyd, Gizmo2, DRobinson and 9 others like this.
    1025R FILB, vintage: 2015
    54D MM mowing deck
    Imatch hitch
    2 inch receiver for three point
    "18" cart
    Piranha Tooth Bar
    Ken's hooks and differential lock pedal
    Artillian 36" forks
    Stihl equipment: Saws; MS261C, MS462C, MS661RCM and Blower; BR600 and Trimmer; FS70R and Hedge Cutter; HL 56K and Pressure Washer; RB400
    Husky log splitter

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:01 PM
    Thanks
    Wow. All I can say is the obvious....... That’s a lot of snow from one “event.” I can’t imagine attempting to use a blade in those circumstances..
    Michael

2018 X738 w/54” deck
    3 PH/17P Cart/Tow behind A-F Spreader/Tow behind 31 gal Sprayer
    Land Pride Core Aerator, Box Blade, and Quick Hitch

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:58 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,510 Times in 1,236 Posts
    Honestly from my experience, you'd have to put the bucket on and start shoveling. The deepest I've done with the FEL mounted plow was 22" (and that was all it wanted), once you get a hole started it's not so bad, but that also the hardest part.
    Pat
    #compactfarming
    2025R W/120R FEL/Titan 36" Pallet Forks w/round bale spears/Ken's Bolt on Hooks / 72" moose plow / Kawasaki Mule(The Donkey) 610xc w/ Warn winch
    60D Auto Connect w/mulch kit and Gator G6 blades
    County Line- 48" Tiller & middle buster
    Frontier- BB5048L & DH1066 & RC2060
    JD iMATCH
    Homemade cultivator/hiller/chisel plow
    Heavy Hitch Tooth Bar
    Watch the 2025R on YouTube:
    Elk Creek Acres

8. Top | #5

Last Online
    Today @ 08:22 PM
    Thanks
    With the Deere 54" plow mounted on just the QuickHitch, I think you'd have to give up and wait for the spring melt.

I've pushed through similar drifts with the 54" plow mounted on the loader. Actually, those sort of drifts are exactly why I mounted my plow on the loader and then ordered my blower.

Ram into the drift, push forward a few feet, lift the loader/plow up and over the top and keep pushing forward. Back up. Rinse and repeat endlessly. Pretty much the same motion you'd use with the loader bucket. Once you get a spot opened up enough to give yourself some working room it isn't so bad. Once you've gt that working room you can push snow across the walkway/driveway at a 45 degree angle and just keep nibbling away at it. It does take a while though!
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

9. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:38 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBlue View Post
    Another person was asking about plowing capabilities of the x7-series in a different thread here. As I was out blowing more from this weekends significant 'blizzard' event (it wasn't a true blizzard here, but heavy blowing snow for a day) it got me to thinking. If you had a tractor-mounted plow how would you go about something like this path I clear between the house and shed? This is just over the lawn, so I wouldn't want to open a path 2 or 3 tractor widths wide. And this was from a single snow event... This path was cleared 3 days ago. I wasn't home to keep at it every few hours like I'd imagine you'd have to do with a plow.

For perspective, in the first pic if you look towards the right front corner of the shed there is a full size picnic table you can barely see and a 30" downed maple tree trunk closer to the tractor buried in the drift.

As you can see, the deepest parts of the drifted snow were deeper than the drift cutter bars on the 54" blower.

And a side comment... I can't imaging having a 47" blower for this type of thing. With the 54" blower I was able to keep pushing ahead, backing up, repeat. If the path were 7" narrower I'm guessing I'd have had to keep widening out the area or else get stuck because the back end always slides around a little as you spin and it's difficult to go completely straight.

Rob
    That is a lot of snow to clear! Have had to do that deep several times this year with my driveway and even with a pusher blade you can only go in so far then push off to the side and then push in further till you get a slot. Once I get a slot I turn my tractor around and use the rear blade to push in drop it down and drive off with a pickup load of snow behind me to a place to put it. I keep going back till the slot is totally open. Then turn around and plow the other way going forward with my 8 ft wide blade which sticks outside my wheel base and carve off snow plowing it away till I am done. That way I do not leave the snow stacked up for more and deeper drifts to form in/on. My driveway is full now but not too many months left of winter snow. Now I pull it to the bottom and stack it up. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_2999.JPG 
Views:	20 
Size:	2.09 MB 
ID:	673906Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_2979.JPG 
Views:	19 
Size:	1.56 MB 
ID:	673908Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_2982.JPG 
Views:	18 
Size:	1.75 MB 
ID:	673910I have a way bigger tractor then you, not sure if you can get your rear blade high enough to do that and you blower is great for making openings! I still want a 7 ft wide blower to go thru the deep stuff not on my place. I am so much faster with my rear blade I would only use it on deep stuff since I can't blow snow around everywhere on my parking area I need a rear blade also. Don't sell short little tractors with snow blowers I kept this driveway open for 2 years with a walk behind snow blower I know how nice they work!
    Last edited by JD4044M; 02-25-2019 at 06:23 PM.

10. Top | #7

Last Online
    Today @ 08:14 PM
    Thanks
    Very good points JimR.
    I have had to use the 45 degree trick quite a few times with a plow truck when tackling drives that hadn't been touched and had a few feet sitting in them.
    OxPath, Herminator and JD4044M like this.
    1025R FILB, vintage: 2015
    54D MM mowing deck
    Imatch hitch
    2 inch receiver for three point
    "18" cart
    Piranha Tooth Bar
    Ken's hooks and differential lock pedal
    Artillian 36" forks
    Stihl equipment: Saws; MS261C, MS462C, MS661RCM and Blower; BR600 and Trimmer; FS70R and Hedge Cutter; HL 56K and Pressure Washer; RB400
    Husky log splitter

11. Top | #8

Last Online
    Today @ 08:21 PM
    Thanks
    Here in Southwest Ohio, it's probably been 40 years since we've gotten more than 10" of snow in a single event. If we get 6" now it's a huge deal. So, for me, having a plow is fine and I can handle anything we get hit with. If we ever got as much as you, I'd have to attack it with the bucket. Of course, if we got as much as you do on a regular basis, I'd have a blower, not a plow!
    '05 JD 3520 Open Station w/ 300CX FEL
    Grandpa's '52 Farmall Cub
    A couple of old Gravelys
    Help a Vet and his dog

12. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:59 PM
    Thanks
    How would you clear that much snow in that narrow area with a plow on a garden tractor?
    The answer is, you wouldnt.

This is why I am, and always will be a fan of snowthrowers/blowers (I actually like to distinguish between the two because a single stage is technically a thrower and 2 stage a blower) over blades. Some say blades are faster. In 2" of snow or so, maybe. In odd shaped driveways like mine, its no contest.
    I had been unable to use the old 49 thrower on the 318 for the last couple years because I hadnt yet figured out a good way to remove snow and not gravel with it.
    Well, this year I did. In the time it used to take to do my drive alone (400' or so plus a very large parking area), I finished it and my neighbors too (his is about 6-700' but narrower and about half the parking area).
    I like the blade, its easier to attach and does a good job, but you have to have a place to pile it up, which is a non-issue with the 49.
    Chains and all, Ive had trouble pushing 6-8" for more than about 50' or so, as it builds up, it compacts too, and just gets heavier and heavier.
    My snowblower was purchased in 77, and fought the blizzard of 78 here. It has no trouble with 30" of snow, with proper technique. Probably more, but thats the deepest Ive moved with it.

Now with a CUT, a plow will push a lot more, but thats not what we are talking about.
    Even then, Id prefer a blower over a blade, but thats a lot of cost if you dont have need of it regularly.
    Jim B.

318, 49 Thrower, 2 80 Carts, 17AT cart, 54 Blade, 12" Brinly Plow, 30 Hydraulic Tiller w/extension & Briney 3-Pt hitch, 50 deck w/JRCO Cart Bagger.
    2025R, 120R loader w/Kens Bolt On Hooks, 260B backhoe w/8" & 16" buckets, Titan 36" forks, Imatch hitch, Weight Bracket/Hitch.

Exmark Lazer Z HP 52"
    Husqvarna 550XP, 562XP, 55 Rancher

13. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:35 PM
    Thanks
    Even with a skid loader that is 10 times the time to scoop at 45degrees and work through it. The blower was made for just that.

Glad to see another guy with no driveway to the shed. I told my wife 10 years ago we would keep it as lawn and if we had a problem tearing it up then we would do a driveway. A litttle common sense, a slight slope and clay soil we still have a lawn.
    Welcome to Intermission.

2017 2038R, 400, 3020 & HPX and thingies to hook to the them.
    112 - Sold in July 2017 but took me until November to admit I just cast it out into this cruel world.
    #compactfarmer

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast