How many hours are too many hours on an air cooled engine?
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 31
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: How many hours are too many hours on an air cooled engine?

  1. Top | #1

    Join Date
    May 2016
    Last Online
    04-19-2019 @ 08:10 PM
    Location
    MA
    Posts
    188
    Thanks
    69
    Thanked 27 Times in 20 Posts

    How many hours are too many hours on an air cooled engine?

    Ok so Im looking for a x530 or X580 with a 54 deck and in my area Im seeing a lot of x530s with mostly 500-800 hours on them with the rare 400 hour one. Wondering if it has that amount of hours does it have much life left? Im looking for a mower and a snowblower machine no ground engagement just those tasks and pulling a cart and the occasional spreader. I figure year round use would be 60-70 hours a year. The heavy work will be done by the 1025r.
    Thanks
    JD4044M likes this.
    2013 JD X500 HDAPS, 48", 7 BU Power Flow Sold
    2017 JD X570 48
    2016 JD 1025R, 54" MMM, H120 FEL, Imatch, KBOGH, Kens Extended Quick Hitch Hook,Ken's 6" Step, and various others,Piranha Bar, JD 18 CART, JD Broadcast Spreader, King Kutter 48" Rototiller, Compact Tractor Attachments 60 Loader Mounted Plow,Artillian Diverter Kit, Heavy Hitch Dual Suitcase Weight Hitch, 12 JD 42lb Suitcase Weights, Land Pride BB1254 Box Scraper (Blade), Land Pride CA1548 Aerator, Titan UA 42 Pallet Forks

  2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. Top | #2
    jgayman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:00 PM
    Location
    Central Pennsylvania
    Posts
    9,802
    Thanks
    368
    Thanked 1,610 Times in 1,223 Posts
    If meticulously maintained you could get 2000-3000 hrs out of a high quality air cooled engine like Kawasaki. Some folks have even gotten more.

    Average usage for me seems to be around 50 hrs per year. That is regular mowing of 1 acre and using the tractor with a lawn cart for other misc. duties.
    JD4044M likes this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to jgayman For This Useful Post:

    Winter83(03-06-2019)

  5. Top | #3

    Join Date
    May 2016
    Last Online
    04-19-2019 @ 08:10 PM
    Location
    MA
    Posts
    188
    Thanks
    69
    Thanked 27 Times in 20 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    If meticulously maintained you could get 2000-3000 hrs out of a high quality air cooled engine like Kawasaki. Some folks have even gotten more.

    Average usage for me seems to be around 50 hrs per year. That is regular mowing of 1 acre and using the tractor with a lawn cart for other misc. duties.

    Ok great good to know, thank you. Worst comes to worst I can get a high hour one and have a small engine tech I know go over it and let me know what needs to be done if anything if I can get it at a fair price. Im thinking maybe the transmission will need work before the engine then?

    For giggles I asked for quotes from two dealers on a X580 both sticker, no thanks and one was where I bought my 1025r from so used I go and dont mind it as Ill be able to get the power flow and snow blower a little sooner.
    JD4044M likes this.
    2013 JD X500 HDAPS, 48", 7 BU Power Flow Sold
    2017 JD X570 48
    2016 JD 1025R, 54" MMM, H120 FEL, Imatch, KBOGH, Kens Extended Quick Hitch Hook,Ken's 6" Step, and various others,Piranha Bar, JD 18 CART, JD Broadcast Spreader, King Kutter 48" Rototiller, Compact Tractor Attachments 60 Loader Mounted Plow,Artillian Diverter Kit, Heavy Hitch Dual Suitcase Weight Hitch, 12 JD 42lb Suitcase Weights, Land Pride BB1254 Box Scraper (Blade), Land Pride CA1548 Aerator, Titan UA 42 Pallet Forks

  6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

  7. Top | #4
    jgayman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:00 PM
    Location
    Central Pennsylvania
    Posts
    9,802
    Thanks
    368
    Thanked 1,610 Times in 1,223 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter83 View Post
    Ok great good to know, thank you. Worst comes to worst I can get a high hour one and have a small engine tech I know go over it and let me know what needs to be done if anything if I can get it at a fair price. Im thinking maybe the transmission will need work before the engine then?

    For giggles I asked for quotes from two dealers on a X580 both sticker, no thanks and one was where I bought my 1025r from so used I go and dont mind it as Ill be able to get the power flow and snow blower a little sooner.
    That's a bummer. They must have had a good winter. :-) When I bought my X500 there was the typical $500 off promotion plus they gave me an additional $300 off just for walking in the door. You just missed the annual X500-series sales promotion. Currently the promotion on on X300-series.
    JD4044M likes this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

  8. Top | #5

    Join Date
    May 2016
    Last Online
    04-19-2019 @ 08:10 PM
    Location
    MA
    Posts
    188
    Thanks
    69
    Thanked 27 Times in 20 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    That's a bummer. They must have had a good winter. :-) When I bought my X500 there was the typical $500 off promotion plus they gave me an additional $300 off just for walking in the door. You just missed the annual X500-series sales promotion. Currently the promotion on on X300-series.
    I know! Its good for them if they are getting those prices I just know I can do better. And as my mowing machine and blower I can go used and will save some cash. As Ill have the FEL plow as well so Ill be able to pick what I want to use which will be nice. No having to switch attachments and the x530 setup I feel will be able to fit in tighter spaces. I love my 1025r but miss how my old X500 mowed.
    JD4044M likes this.
    2013 JD X500 HDAPS, 48", 7 BU Power Flow Sold
    2017 JD X570 48
    2016 JD 1025R, 54" MMM, H120 FEL, Imatch, KBOGH, Kens Extended Quick Hitch Hook,Ken's 6" Step, and various others,Piranha Bar, JD 18 CART, JD Broadcast Spreader, King Kutter 48" Rototiller, Compact Tractor Attachments 60 Loader Mounted Plow,Artillian Diverter Kit, Heavy Hitch Dual Suitcase Weight Hitch, 12 JD 42lb Suitcase Weights, Land Pride BB1254 Box Scraper (Blade), Land Pride CA1548 Aerator, Titan UA 42 Pallet Forks

  9. Top | #6

    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Last Online
    06-27-2019 @ 08:11 PM
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    28
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts

    Air cooled

    Properly maintained and such an air cooled will run a good long time. Overheating and not changing the oil will kill them or any engine fast. I sold a Snapper rear engine rider on auction and got top dollar with at least 1000 hours on the 11 horse Briggs. It ran perfect, actually better than its replacement.
    2032r with 220r loader on order, F725 mower, x590 with deck and snowblower, HPX Gator, 647 tiller to use with Kubota BX2660, Honda 5518 with tiller and snowblower, Exmark Laser HP, Allis Chalmers 200, Bobcat 632

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to kurtee For This Useful Post:

    Winter83(03-06-2019)

  11. Top | #7

    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Last Online
    09-20-2019 @ 02:36 PM
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    1,269
    Thanks
    71
    Thanked 174 Times in 161 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter83 View Post
    Ok so Im looking for a x530 or X580 with a 54 deck and in my area Im seeing a lot of x530s with mostly 500-800 hours on them with the rare 400 hour one. Wondering if it has that amount of hours does it have much life left? Im looking for a mower and a snowblower machine no ground engagement just those tasks and pulling a cart and the occasional spreader. I figure year round use would be 60-70 hours a year. The heavy work will be done by the 1025r.
    Thanks
    Like others have said, if you maintain it, you can 3000+ hours. Air cooled Kawasaki's last a long time if you take care of them. I would not sweat one with 500-800 hours. Everything else about the tractor will probably die before the engine does. What you list as tasks are pretty easy on a tractor.
    JD4044M likes this.
    3025e, D160 loader, Artillian Grapple, Forks, Hoe Bucket, Frontier Land Plane, Rotomec PDH300, Redline Systems 54 inch rock bucket, Heavy Hitch
    400 Garden Tractor, 35a Tiller, 54 inch plow, 60 inch deck

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to 69project For This Useful Post:

    Winter83(03-06-2019)

  13. Top | #8

    Join Date
    May 2016
    Last Online
    04-19-2019 @ 08:10 PM
    Location
    MA
    Posts
    188
    Thanks
    69
    Thanked 27 Times in 20 Posts
    Ok great thanks everyone for the information and reassurance on the engines. Ill be sure to post back with whatever I get.
    JD4044M likes this.
    2013 JD X500 HDAPS, 48", 7 BU Power Flow Sold
    2017 JD X570 48
    2016 JD 1025R, 54" MMM, H120 FEL, Imatch, KBOGH, Kens Extended Quick Hitch Hook,Ken's 6" Step, and various others,Piranha Bar, JD 18 CART, JD Broadcast Spreader, King Kutter 48" Rototiller, Compact Tractor Attachments 60 Loader Mounted Plow,Artillian Diverter Kit, Heavy Hitch Dual Suitcase Weight Hitch, 12 JD 42lb Suitcase Weights, Land Pride BB1254 Box Scraper (Blade), Land Pride CA1548 Aerator, Titan UA 42 Pallet Forks

  14. Top | #9

    Join Date
    May 2016
    Last Online
    04-19-2019 @ 08:10 PM
    Location
    MA
    Posts
    188
    Thanks
    69
    Thanked 27 Times in 20 Posts

    Wrench

    Ok time to throw a wrench in here, but not intentionally though. While Im looking around seems like the x540s are lower priced than a comparable X530 and even x500s.
    I figured liquid cooled would fetch more $ or is there a wide spread issue when those get up in age? I know Ive seen many members here state they love theirs but seems like a few dealers have them around where some x500s are and the x530s are fetching the most even the high hour machines. Maybe Im missing something?
    JD4044M likes this.
    2013 JD X500 HDAPS, 48", 7 BU Power Flow Sold
    2017 JD X570 48
    2016 JD 1025R, 54" MMM, H120 FEL, Imatch, KBOGH, Kens Extended Quick Hitch Hook,Ken's 6" Step, and various others,Piranha Bar, JD 18 CART, JD Broadcast Spreader, King Kutter 48" Rototiller, Compact Tractor Attachments 60 Loader Mounted Plow,Artillian Diverter Kit, Heavy Hitch Dual Suitcase Weight Hitch, 12 JD 42lb Suitcase Weights, Land Pride BB1254 Box Scraper (Blade), Land Pride CA1548 Aerator, Titan UA 42 Pallet Forks

  15. Top | #10
    jgayman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:00 PM
    Location
    Central Pennsylvania
    Posts
    9,802
    Thanks
    368
    Thanked 1,610 Times in 1,223 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter83 View Post
    Ok time to throw a wrench in here, but not intentionally though. While Im looking around seems like the x540s are lower priced than a comparable X530 and even x500s.
    I figured liquid cooled would fetch more $ or is there a wide spread issue when those get up in age? I know Ive seen many members here state they love theirs but seems like a few dealers have them around where some x500s are and the x530s are fetching the most even the high hour machines. Maybe Im missing something?
    The only reason I can see is that the X540 went totally out of production in 2014. The water-cooled Kawasaki FD731V is no longer used anywhere. Whereas even though the X500/X530 was replaced with the X570/X580 the underlying components of the tractor are the same. They still use the same transmission and Kawasaki FS730V engine. So in a way with a X500/X530 you have sort of a less obsolete machine.

    That's my theory anyway. :-)
    JD4044M likes this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

  16. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Who is running diesel oil in their air cooled engines?
    By AJgrn78 in forum Tractor & Equipment Maintenance
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 03-08-2019, 01:08 PM
  2. Ar new ne Efi
    By cin769 in forum ZTR's and Commercial Turf Equipment
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-12-2017, 12:09 PM
  3. OPINION - Am I putting too many hours on 1026R for mowing etc?
    By oldlineman in forum Sub Compact Utility Tractors (SCUT)
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 06-06-2016, 12:21 AM
  4. How many vises are too many?
    By 56FordGuy in forum Tools & Equipment
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 11-22-2012, 01:14 PM
  5. How many tractors would be considered too many?
    By green and red man in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-11-2012, 12:04 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts