Purchased a X739 with 54HC deck and MCS and Mulch. Not Happy!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Purchased a X739 with 54HC deck and MCS and Mulch. Not Happy!

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    07-14-2019 @ 05:18 PM
    Thanks

Purchased a X739 with 54HC deck and MCS and Mulch. Not Happy!

I Purchased a X739 with a 54HC deck and MCS mulch control. JD advertised mow your lawn with mulch on and flip the switch and go to MCS. All sounded great. Mulch the front yard and pickup the back yard. WRONG. I went today for my class on the mower. The tech asked how do you want the unit delivered. MCS on or mulch. Different set of blades for each. Heres the big problem. There is a bracket that has to be bolted on so if in mulch mode so blade won't hit the mulch gate. There is no reason the have a had ram to switch modes when you need to bolt on a bracket to mulch and take it off to Collect grass. I am very disappointed I spent the money for the mulch kit and hyd control when it cannot be used. Just about as bad as the manual control for spout on the snow blower. If I am wrong about this let me know. Not a good start between me and my739.
    John
    John from Plainfield, IL
    X739 w/54HC Deck w/Mulch Hyd Control
    47" Snow Blower w/Light Kit
    MCS 14 Bu 3 Bags
    Mounter Spreader

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 11:36 AM
    Thanks
    That is not the way it was explained to me when I asked about the hydraulic mulch option.
    Below are enlarged pictures from the JD website. From those I do not see any reason why what you want to do would not work. I do not see how the the bracket would cause a problem with the grass collection system.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails John Deere 54HC deck 2.jpg John Deere 54HC deck 1.jpg
    Kioti CK3510SE HST, Kioti KL4030 Loader, John Deere 655 Tiller, Frontier LR2072 Landscape Rake, Virnig V50 Pallet Forks, Woods GB60 Box Blade
    John Deere X739 AWS 4X4, 60HC Auto Connect Deck, Front grader blade.
    John Deere 825i Gator

John Deere Tractors I have owned in the past.
    425 AWS, 455, 4400, 2210, 4710, 2320, 2720, X475, 1026R, 4120, 2025R

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Thanks
    I guess when the bracket is bolted on the power flow blower won't fit on. Without the bracket on the gate can and will hit the blades.
    John from Plainfield, IL
    MCS 14 Bu 3 Bags
    Mounter Spreader

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Today @ 08:07 PM
    Thanks
    You only need one. Either the MCS kit or the permanent mulch kit.

The MCS uses standard blades and you then turn mulching on of off with the moving door.

The full time mulch kit is meant to be left in place and not removed repeatedly. It also uses the mulching blades.

I have the full time kit on my 54HC deck and love it. It mulches everything beutifuly. Honestly I think the mulch on demand is for the birds but that's just my opinion.
    Zebrafive likes this.
    X738, 54HC deck w/ auto connect, 3PH
    Woods GBC48 box scraper
    Day dreaming of a 54" snow blower

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    We use the MCS in the backyard so the dogs don't bring in the clippings. that can't change. JD has some work let to do on this design.
    John from Plainfield, IL
    MCS 14 Bu 3 Bags
    Mounter Spreader

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:03 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,127 Times in 960 Posts
    Itís always been my understanding that the deck would be leveled differently with the Power Flow unit hanging off of it. So Iím not seeing any way you would be able to easily switch from mulch to MCS whether it was a permanent mulch kit or mulch on demand.
    Jamie

2011 JD 1026R - w/60" NON-AutoConnect MMM, FEL w/WR Long Toothbar, 47" Front Mount Snowblower, 54" Front Mount Blade w/ Rubber Edge, 48" KingKutter Tiller & Brush Hog, CountyLine Carry All and CountyLine 60" Rear Blade, Pat's EZ-Change Quick Hitch System
    1990 JD 185 - 46"MMM w/Power Flow Bagger

9. The Following User Says Thank You to ColonyPark For This Useful Post:

jws338†(03-08-2019)

10. Top | #7

Last Online
    09-16-2019 @ 02:37 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ColonyPark View Post
    Itís always been my understanding that the deck would be leveled differently with the Power Flow unit hanging off of it. So Iím not seeing any way you would be able to easily switch from mulch to MCS whether it was a permanent mulch kit or mulch on demand.

On my x758 I have not found a significant difference between powerflow and non powerflow. The handers are wide enough and the deck heavy enough that it is not a significant issue. I run mine kind of inbetween perfect for each and it works fine. You cannot tell the difference even on nice grass.
    ColonyPark likes this.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to quackaddict For This Useful Post:

ColonyPark†(03-07-2019), jws338†(03-08-2019)

12. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:03 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,127 Times in 960 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by quackaddict View Post
    On my x758 I have not found a significant difference between powerflow and non powerflow. The handers are wide enough and the deck heavy enough that it is not a significant issue. I run mine kind of inbetween perfect for each and it works fine. You cannot tell the difference even on nice grass.

Interesting and good to know, thanks for posting that.
    Jamie

2011 JD 1026R - w/60" NON-AutoConnect MMM, FEL w/WR Long Toothbar, 47" Front Mount Snowblower, 54" Front Mount Blade w/ Rubber Edge, 48" KingKutter Tiller & Brush Hog, CountyLine Carry All and CountyLine 60" Rear Blade, Pat's EZ-Change Quick Hitch System
    1990 JD 185 - 46"MMM w/Power Flow Bagger

13. The Following User Says Thank You to ColonyPark For This Useful Post:

jws338†(03-08-2019)

14. Top | #9
    Last Online
    05-20-2019 @ 07:05 PM
    Thanks
    I'm not so sure that they won't work together, or that you need to remove any hardware to switch other than
    the powerflow blower.

here's some info from JD sales manual regarding mulch control , with references to bagging:

"MulchControl is well-suited to the following mowing situations:
    Usually mulch, but side discharge when grass gets too long
    Usually side discharge, but would like to be able to close the chute to control clippings
    Always mulch a main lawn, but often side discharge secondary lawns
    Bag clippings, but want to go farther before emptying bags
    MulchControl puts the operator in control of the clippings. Now the operator can have all the benefits of mulching with the ability to easily change to side-discharge or bagging when needed.

MulchControl limitations

While in the side-discharge mode, MulchControl will still mulch about one third of the material. Therefore, the side-discharge mode is essentially a partial-mulch mode. This can be an advantage when side discharging or bagging, as it helps to reduce the amount of material being discharged. Other times this could work as a disadvantage:
    ##When cutting strong southern grasses, such as Zoysia and Bermuda
    ##When cutting in wet, high-growth conditions, such as those found in the Pacific Northwest United States
    ##When optimum bagging and lawn clean-up is desired"
    ColonyPark likes this.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dutch For This Useful Post:

ColonyPark†(03-07-2019), jws338†(03-08-2019)

16. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dutch View Post
    I'm not so sure that they won't work together, or that you need to remove any hardware to switch other than
    the powerflow blower.

here's some info from JD sales manual regarding mulch control , with references to bagging:

"MulchControl is well-suited to the following mowing situations:
    Usually mulch, but side discharge when grass gets too long
    Usually side discharge, but would like to be able to close the chute to control clippings
    Always mulch a main lawn, but often side discharge secondary lawns
    Bag clippings, but want to go farther before emptying bags
    MulchControl puts the operator in control of the clippings. Now the operator can have all the benefits of mulching with the ability to easily change to side-discharge or bagging when needed.

MulchControl limitations

While in the side-discharge mode, MulchControl will still mulch about one third of the material. Therefore, the side-discharge mode is essentially a partial-mulch mode. This can be an advantage when side discharging or bagging, as it helps to reduce the amount of material being discharged. Other times this could work as a disadvantage:
    ##When cutting strong southern grasses, such as Zoysia and Bermuda
    ##When cutting in wet, high-growth conditions, such as those found in the Pacific Northwest United States
    ##When optimum bagging and lawn clean-up is desired"
    Here is where the problem is. JD says"MulchControl puts the operator in control of the clippings. Now the operator can have all the benefits of mulching with the ability to easily change to side-discharge or bagging when needed."
    My dealer showed me that the power flow blower will not fit on the deck with the mulch bracket bolted on to the deck. If the bracket is not on, the gate will hit the blades. This is a 2019 deck and the 2018 power flow would not work on it. They said the had to get a 2019 power flow for the 2019 deck. They are contacting the JD rep.
    Thanks for everyones input. As for the deck leveling, the power flow will always be on.
    John from Plainfield, IL
    MCS 14 Bu 3 Bags
    Mounter Spreader

17. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast