• 2 Post By eric102
  • 1 Post By BigBlue

Thread: 2014 X739 head gasket leak

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Today @ 07:31 PM
    Thanks

2014 X739 head gasket leak

First noticed it weeping antifreeze a couple weeks ago after I spotted a small drip on the concrete floor. Pulled the spark plugs and everything looked dry inside the cylinders so its probably only an exterior leak at the moment. Wiped the engine clean and ran it up to normal temperature to see how long it would take for the leakage to reappear and much to my surprise didn't see anything for 5 or 6 days, but then it gradually started weeping again and at about a week I started seeing few drops on the floor.

Kind of weird to get a leak at under 5 years old and only 180 hours on the clock.

Fortunately I had a moment of weakness at the end of the factory warranty and purchased the 3 year extended PowerGuard warranty so I should be covered with zero deductible and free pickup/delivery. I rarely buy extended warranties so I got lucky on this one although I could have replaced the head gasket far cheaper myself assuming that's all that is wrong with it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails area of leak.jpg  
    2008 3320 -- 2014 X739

2. The Following User Says Thank You to eric102 For This Useful Post:

posi (03-15-2019)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

4. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:31 PM
    Thanks
    Please update when it's repaired. Head gasket, manifold gasket, other?
    JD4044M likes this.
    J
    John Deere 2030 w/245SL Loader
    John Deere 6415 w/640SL Loader
    John Deere 285 50" deck Stolen May 2017
    John Deere x485 62" deck AWS
    Kawasaki Mule 2510 4x4 bought new 1996
    Ford F250 4x4 bought new 1978

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:24 AM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,497 Times in 1,405 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eric102 View Post
    First noticed it weeping antifreeze a couple weeks ago after I spotted a small drip on the concrete floor. Pulled the spark plugs and everything looked dry inside the cylinders so its probably only an exterior leak at the moment. Wiped the engine clean and ran it up to normal temperature to see how long it would take for the leakage to reappear and much to my surprise didn't see anything for 5 or 6 days, but then it gradually started weeping again and at about a week I started seeing few drops on the floor.

Kind of weird to get a leak at under 5 years old and only 180 hours on the clock.

Fortunately I had a moment of weakness at the end of the factory warranty and purchased the 3 year extended PowerGuard warranty so I should be covered with zero deductible and free pickup/delivery. I rarely buy extended warranties so I got lucky on this one although I could have replaced the head gasket far cheaper myself assuming that's all that is wrong with it.
    Just curious since your location is indicated as the Pacific NW, what have air the temps been where you are located when you first noticed this leak and now? Has it been unusually cold during the times the drops were noted?

How are you using the machine, is it mowing, snow blowing or plowing?

Also, any sign on the spark plug or exhaust that any of the coolant is being dispatched through the combustion process (moisture in the exhaust, spark plug in that cylinder different than the other in appearance or color?)
    JD4044M likes this.

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SulleyBear View Post
    Just curious since your location is indicated as the Pacific NW, what have air the temps been where you are located when you first noticed this leak and now? Has it been unusually cold during the times the drops were noted?

How are you using the machine, is it mowing, snow blowing or plowing?

Also, any sign on the spark plug or exhaust that any of the coolant is being dispatched through the combustion process (moisture in the exhaust, spark plug in that cylinder different than the other in appearance or color?)
    Its 95% a mower with a bit of dirt work and driveway maintenance on the side. I first noticed a few drops of coolant on the floor about a week after pushing some snow off the driveway with the front blade. The air temperatures were in the high 20's or low 30's and the tractor is stored in an insulated garage that rarely gets below 50 so no big temperature swings for the engine. I wasn't watching the temp gauge while plowing but I doubt the engine overheated as the tractor wasn't working very hard.

Very little coolant is missing out of the bottle and the radiator is full so I don't think any of it is going through the engine, both spark plugs looked the same and normal to me.

The dealer is picking it up next week so maybe it will get fixed before the grass starts going crazy, don't really want to dust off the walk behind :-)
    2008 3320 -- 2014 X739

8. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:24 AM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,497 Times in 1,405 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eric102 View Post
    Its 95% a mower with a bit of dirt work and driveway maintenance on the side. I first noticed a few drops of coolant on the floor about a week after pushing some snow off the driveway with the front blade. The air temperatures were in the high 20's or low 30's and the tractor is stored in an insulated garage that rarely gets below 50 so no big temperature swings for the engine. I wasn't watching the temp gauge while plowing but I doubt the engine overheated as the tractor wasn't working very hard.

Very little coolant is missing out of the bottle and the radiator is full so I don't think any of it is going through the engine, both spark plugs looked the same and normal to me.

The dealer is picking it up next week so maybe it will get fixed before the grass starts going crazy, don't really want to dust off the walk behind :-)
    There are some of these aluminum engines which develop very minimal coolant "weeps" as they aren't even really leaks, and it seems to occur only when its very cold and the metal contracts and expands from operation. Some of these machines "weep" so minor in a year they often don't require any coolant be added when it's losses total less than a couple of tablespoons of fluid a season.

Its not a very common issue, but it happens from time to time. Its wondered if it's not some type of aluminum porosity or metal contraction issue related to temp extremes. Don't be surprised if the dealer tells you they didn't find any gaskets damaged or obvious signs of a leak which warrants any hard part replacement.

Looking forward to your post and hearing what the dealer finds, after they pick up and check your tractor. Chances are even when they pressure test the cooling system, etc. they won't be able to replicate the "weeping" you experienced. Just know its not incompetence or lack of effort by the dealer, this seems to be a very intermittent issue often related to below freezing temps.

Thanks for your response
    JD4044M and Dr Kubar like this.

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

9. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:33 AM
    Thanks
    Watching this carefully. I haven't seen any signs of weeping, but looking forward to see what you find out.
    JD4044M likes this.
    2016 X739, 2018 1025R, 60HC mmm Auto Conn, FEL, BH, Frontier Forks, Woods finish mower, CF Box Blade, Taylor Way TP 923 Rotary Tiller, County Line Landscape Rake, County Line Auger, Ratchet Rake, Ken's Bolt-on Hooks and Differential Pedal, and a few home-made contraptions to attach.
    Refugee from the Kingdom of Orange Tractors

10. Top | #7

Last Online
    Thanks
    Another weep on the same gasket just above the first leak, it wasn't there the first time I inspected the engine after finding the original leak. This one appeared about 2 days after running the engine up to operating temperatures. I inspected all the hoses and fittings above the leak just in case it was a drip from above but didn't see any sign of leakage on them.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20190319_114418732_LI.jpg  
    JD4044M and Dr Kubar like this.
    2008 3320 -- 2014 X739

11. Top | #8

Last Online
    Today @ 10:14 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SulleyBear View Post
    There are some of these aluminum engines which develop very minimal coolant "weeps" as they aren't even really leaks, and it seems to occur only when its very cold and the metal contracts and expands from operation. Some of these machines "weep" so minor in a year they often don't require any coolant be added when it's losses total less than a couple of tablespoons of fluid a season.

Its not a very common issue, but it happens from time to time. Its wondered if it's not some type of aluminum porosity or metal contraction issue related to temp extremes. Don't be surprised if the dealer tells you they didn't find any gaskets damaged or obvious signs of a leak which warrants any hard part replacement.

Looking forward to your post and hearing what the dealer finds, after they pick up and check your tractor. Chances are even when they pressure test the cooling system, etc. they won't be able to replicate the "weeping" you experienced. Just know its not incompetence or lack of effort by the dealer, this seems to be a very intermittent issue often related to below freezing temps.

Thanks for your response
    I have a motorcycle that does that. Every winter it will drip out a little antifreeze from somewhere. Not a drop during summer.

Rob
    SulleyBear likes this.
    2016 x758 w/60" HC mower, 54" snowblower, MC519 bagger
    2010 2520 w/61" H130 loader, TA 42" forks, KK 60" Pro tiller, iMatch quick hitch, KK middle buster
    1996 345 - Traded
    Other toys: Stihl BR600 backpack blower; McCulloch chainsaws: 10-10S, 700, 805, 10-10; JD trimmer

2520:__________________________x758:__________________________Faithful 345:___________________

12. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements