Can tractor respond with 0 battery load power and good volts? Interesting story.....
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree110Likes

Thread: Can tractor respond with 0 battery load power and good volts? Interesting story.....

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    03-19-2019 @ 10:02 AM
    Thanks

Can tractor respond with 0 battery load power and good volts? Interesting story.....

My tractor wouldn't start so I brought the battery to John Deere, they tested the battery and said the cells are good and it works fine, they recommended other services, but I declined and came home to ask my neighbor (lawn tractor mechanic). He said the engine was seized due to running on barely any oil, he was right about the oil, and recommended a new engine. I bought a battery load tester, the volts ran good but the load detected a zero reading. I asked John Deere if the mower should start with a zero load, and they didn't provide any info, said they couldn't diagnose over the phone. My neighbor mechanic said the battery ran good until the mower seized, so battery should be good and the volts test good.
    I know I need a new battery, but with a zero load detection could this in fact cause the mower to not have any response even-though the volts test good?

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:00 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,664 Times in 1,260 Posts
    I'm not quite sure what you mean by zero load detection. However, some times a bad battery will read close to normal voltage when nothing is attached but then drop to near zero volts as soon as you attach any type of load.
    farmgirl19, AlKozak, Kusa and 3 others like this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

4. The Following User Says Thank You to jgayman For This Useful Post:

tchestman88 (03-17-2019)

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    07-02-2019 @ 08:40 AM
    Thanks
    If your motor is seized no battery is going to help get it going.
    PaDave, jimmylh, JD4044M and 3 others like this.
    2017 2032R - 220r FEL, 72" mmm,Frontier 2084 blade ,JD 670 tiller, frontier 48" pallet forks, allied 2060 snowblower,JD 513 brush hog, EA 55" grapple,Frontier 2060 box blade, Farmi 351p logging winch
    LX 186 - 48" deck, 38" snowblower
    F 510
    GTX 38
    Cub Cadet GTX 1054
    2011 825i Gator

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4

Last Online
    Today @ 02:49 AM
    Thanks
    Tchest, Remove spark plug(s) and see if motor will turnover by hand. If motor is in fact seized, don't worry about a battery! If motor turns by hand, start checking from starter back to ignition switch...looking for voltage or no voltage. Bob
    '80 317 w/18hp B&S and divert valve for rear hydraulics, 3 pt hitch, 5' york rake
    '82 314 w/rear PTO for tiller
    33 tiller
    49 thrower
    54 4 way blade
    Mod 48 deck & Mod 462 TracVac

8. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    I'm not quite sure what you mean by zero load detection. However, some times a bad battery will read close to normal voltage when nothing is attached but then drop to near zero volts as soon as you attach any type of load.
    There's a range on the battery detector, zero being the lowest when detecting the load power. I used the 100 Amp 6/12V Battery Load Tester by Cen-Tech.

9. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by goat704! View Post
    If your motor is seized no battery is going to help get it going.
    I know, I just didn't know if the seized engine diagnosis was wrong. I have to get my tractor back to put a new battery in, but in the meantime was trying to get more knowledgeable if the tractors engine was good, could it still not start or have any response with a battery that has good volts (fully charged) but no load power.

10. Top | #7

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rwmeyer View Post
    Tchest, Remove spark plug(s) and see if motor will turnover by hand. If motor is in fact seized, don't worry about a battery! If motor turns by hand, start checking from starter back to ignition switch...looking for voltage or no voltage. Bob
    Thanks Bob! My mechanic currently has the tractor, but he's the one who diagnosed it as being seized. He didn't tell me how he determined this, he's a little rough around the edges to talk to. I appreciate your help, and may check into this when I get the machine back.

11. Top | #8
    Last Online
    06-03-2019 @ 07:21 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    I'm mystified by that as well. Best guess:

Any power source can be modeled using a Thevenin equivalent circuit. This consists of a theoretical battery that can supply infinite current @ 12V in series with a resistor that represents the battery's internal resistance. In order to be able to supply 100A, that resistor value needs to be very low - a fraction of an ohm. Using Ohm's law, you can put a load of known resistance across the battery, measure the voltage across it, and calculate the value of the internal resistance. If it is too high then the battery will be unable to source 100A at anything close to 12V.

Al
    Jeff B likes this.

12. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tchestman88 View Post
    Thanks Bob! My mechanic currently has the tractor, but he's the one who diagnosed it as being seized. He didn't tell me how he determined this, he's a little rough around the edges to talk to. I appreciate your help, and may check into this when I get the machine back.
    As a previous poster suggested, remove the spark plugs and see if it spins with the starter. You can also remove the flywheel shroud and rotate the engine by hand (with spark plugs removed).

If it spins by either method above it is not seized. BUT - you may still have other internal issues from running with low oil.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

13. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tchestman88 View Post
    There's a range on the battery detector, zero being the lowest when detecting the load power. I used the 100 Amp 6/12V Battery Load Tester by Cen-Tech.
    The electronic testers are nice for some things but I sometimes like to do a quick test with a simple analog load tester. You can usually pick these up for around $20. If you can't stay within the green range for a few seconds the battery is toast.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails load_tester2.jpg  

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast