Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: X738 Tractor Shovel vs Aftermarket FEL

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    07-05-2019 @ 09:29 PM
    Thanks

X738 Tractor Shovel vs Aftermarket FEL

Being a new tractor owner, Iím curious which is preferred for an X738 by you experienced folks.....

One of the aftermarket FELs or the new JD Tractor Shovel attached to the 54Ē front blade?

The Shovel is about 50% of the cheapest aftermarket FEL that I have seen. But not sure how their capabilities match up.

I bought the Shovel when I ordered my tractor because I hadnít heard about the aftermarket FELs, now Iím curious what would have been better. Read - should I spend more money? LOL
    Mark

Hydraulic Angling
    Front Quick-Hitch & Hydraulic Lift
    60" HC Mower Deck
    54" Quick-Hitch Front Blade
    54" Tractor Shovel
    Frontier LTD Cat 1 Box Blade
    17P Poly Cart
    Tow Broadcast Spreader (175# capacity)
    40" Tow Behind Plug Aerator
    45 Gal Sprayer - 3 pt Hitch
    Ballast Box - 3-pt
    Suitcase Weights

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 05:22 AM
    Thanks
    The CTC loader is a full function loader that will load a pickup truck.

Everything else can move stuff around.

It really depends on what your needs are if you need something better that the tractor bucket you already have.
    69project likes this.
    X738, 54HC deck w/ auto connect, 3PH
    Woods GBC48 box scraper
    Day dreaming of a 54" snow blower

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CJadamec View Post
    The CTC loader is a full function loader that will load a pickup truck.

Everything else can move stuff around.

It really depends on what your needs are if you need something better that the tractor bucket you already have.

Any ideas how Deere views aftermarket FELs when it comes to a warranty issue?
    Mark

Hydraulic Angling
    60" HC Mower Deck
    54" Tractor Shovel
    17P Poly Cart
    Ballast Box - 3-pt
    Suitcase Weights

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:41 PM
    Thanks
    I bought the tractor shovel because I could not justify the cost of an aftermarket FEL. Here's a thread I started about this: https://www.greentractortalk.com/for...or-shovel.html

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Today @ 09:10 AM
    Thanks
    I'm planning on ordering the CTC loader later this summer for my x738. It is the only real loader option for the x700 series. I didn't want to go with something cheaper and later regret that l needed a loader for some bigger jobs. If you go with the loader then you would want to replace the TRV and free wheeling lever. Then shim the IRV while you already removed the rear fender and seat. There are several post on this already.
    Last edited by ultra7350; 03-31-2019 at 07:38 AM.

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Today @ 09:12 AM
    Thanks
    I used to own a super garden tractor with a FEL. Compared to a shovel the lift height can't be beat. It all depends on your needs. If I had to choose between the two, the FEL wins in my book. When I had the FEL on my JD 400, I needed it for the bucket and forks I put on it. Having a lot of lift height compared to a shovel was way more important to me. I have since moved on to a SCUT and now a 3E series compact tractor. It really depends on what your intended use of the FEL is for. I believe CTC loaders are one of the only aftermarket loaders for a JD X7 series. Hopefully its a quick attach/detach set up.
    3025e, D160 loader, Artillian Grapple, Forks, Hoe Bucket, Frontier Land Plane, Rotomec PDH300, Redline Systems 54 inch rock bucket, Heavy Hitch
    400 Garden Tractor, 35a Tiller, 54 inch plow, 60 inch deck

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:51 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mdavenport View Post
    When Deere still made the 45 Loader they were Picky on aftermarket Loaders for the X700 series. But if Deere doesn't Make one they usually don't seem to Care. Basically if You damage the Frame doing something You shouldn't be doing Don't tell You dealer You were running a Loader, Remove Loader and sub frame Before it is Picked up. Each John Deere dealer has to deal with two Factory reps(majority of the time it's wet behind the ears Kids) for Deere service Reps and some Could Care less what You run on your tractor. But others are Just Plain picky Basically what could Happen is this You bend Your Frame and for what would be Normally a warranty Issue Deere may not cover the warranty fix But as soon as the new Frame is Installed at Your Cost the warranty will be Back to Normal meaning if you damage the Frame again and it Has Nothing to do with the Loader it will be covered By the warranty.

Deere doesn't usually Void the whole Machines Warranty as Long as You Not constantly over Loading the Loader You should be Just fine. Most Frame damage is actually do to age and More than likely the tractor is out of warranty anyways. But if You Have the Loader On and it Picked Up for Normal service Deere not Going to Void the Machines warranty because You have a aftermarket Loader Mounted. Or say You Break the front axle if they Determine the reason the axle Broke was do to the Loader use. Then You will be Picking up the Cost of repair out of Pocket for that Axle repair .

My Younger Brother Is a Deere dealer service Manager and they have Installed several CTC Loaders for customers even Johnny Bucket Sr's and Jr's and aftermarket Loaders for AG tractors Deere doesn't Make a Loader for the 9R series But some aftermarket supplier's actually Make Loaders for those tractors

They Have had several issue with the entry Level 100 series where People have Killed there T40J or K46 transmissions In there 100 series Because they were using it to Pull a heavy Load which those transmission are not designed to do Deere didn't cover the warranty repair for the Transmission the customer had to foot the bill But everything else was still covered By the warranty mean a Guy Killed his trans But had engine Issues which were fixed at the same time under warranty. Hope this helps explains it for You.

You would be Just Fine using a CTC Loader for Your leveling Project for You barn/shed/shop and if You shim Make sure You don't exceed 1350 PSI The transmission is Rated for 1500 But my brother People Have see issues when it shimmed higher than 1350 PSI which will give You about 700Lbs In the Loader Bucket to Max Height
    John Deere Models: 2025RTLB(Gen 2),X748,GX335,140H3,112SF,110RF,Sabre 1542,TX Gator
    Cub Cadet Models:0riginal,70,106,XT3GSX & Experimental Non Production Rear engine rider
    Ingersoll Model:3016PS
    Simplicity Models:Wonder Boy
    White Model: GT2055

MSGT 11 & 18 Series Retired

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mktmgrjrm View Post
    I bought the tractor shovel because I could not justify the cost of an aftermarket FEL. Here's a thread I started about this: https://www.greentractortalk.com/for...or-shovel.html

Thanks. That was a great thread! I think I’m kind of in the same place you were. Wish I could test run a couple of the FELs.

My biggest question is, will they be able to engage the ground more than the tractor shovel?
    If not, I probably wouldn’t get one. I don’t need to unload or load into a truck or trailer.
    Mark

Hydraulic Angling
    60" HC Mower Deck
    54" Tractor Shovel
    17P Poly Cart
    Ballast Box - 3-pt
    Suitcase Weights

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Thanks Sergeant. Lots of good info there.

Quote Originally Posted by Sergeant View Post
    When Deere still made the 45 Loader they were Picky on aftermarket Loaders for the X700 series. But if Deere doesn't Make one they usually don't seem to Care. Basically if You damage the Frame doing something You shouldn't be doing Don't tell You dealer You
    were running a Loader, Remove Loader and sub frame Before it is Picked up. Each John Deere dealer has to deal with two Factory reps(majority of the time it's wet behind the ears Kids) for Deere service Reps and some Could Care less what You run on your tractor. But others are Just Plain picky Basically what could Happen is this You bend Your Frame and for what would be Normally a warranty Issue Deere may not cover the warranty fix But as soon as the new Frame is Installed at Your Cost the warranty will be Back to Normal meaning if you damage the Frame again and it Has Nothing to do with the Loader it will be covered By the warranty.

Deere doesn't usually Void the whole Machines Warranty as Long as You Not constantly over Loading the Loader You should be Just fine. Most Frame damage is actually do to age and More than likely the tractor is out of warranty anyways. But if You Have the Loader On and it Picked Up for Normal service Deere not Going to Void the Machines warranty because You have a aftermarket Loader Mounted. Or say You Break the front axle if they Determine the reason the axle Broke was do to the Loader use. Then You will be Picking up the Cost of repair out of Pocket for that Axle repair .

My Younger Brother Is a Deere dealer service Manager and they have Installed several CTC Loaders for customers even Johnny Bucket Sr's and Jr's and aftermarket Loaders for AG tractors Deere doesn't Make a Loader for the 9R series But some aftermarket supplier's actually Make Loaders for those tractors

They Have had several issue with the entry Level 100 series where People have Killed there T40J or K46 transmissions In there 100 series Because they were using it to Pull a heavy Load which those transmission are not designed to do Deere didn't cover the warranty repair for the Transmission the customer had to foot the bill But everything else was still covered By the warranty mean a Guy Killed his trans But had engine Issues which were fixed at the same time under warranty. Hope this helps explains it for You.

You would be Just Fine using a CTC Loader for Your leveling Project for You barn/shed/shop and if You shim Make sure You don't exceed 1350 PSI The transmission is Rated for 1500 But my brother People Have see issues when it shimmed higher than 1350 PSI which will give You about 700Lbs In the Loader Bucket to Max Height [IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.greentractortalk.com/forums/images/smilies/bigthumbup.gif[/IMG]
    Mark

Hydraulic Angling
    60" HC Mower Deck
    54" Tractor Shovel
    17P Poly Cart
    Ballast Box - 3-pt
    Suitcase Weights

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:51 PM
    Thanks
    Thanks. That was a great thread! I think Iím kind of in the same place you were. Wish I could test run a couple of the FELs.

My biggest question is, will they be able to engage the ground more than the tractor shovel?
    If not, I probably wouldnít get one. I donít need to unload or load into a truck or trailer.
    Thanks Sergeant. Lots of good info there.
    The CTC Loader with a Expanded Piranha Tooth Bar BXpanded Piranha Toothbar or a Heavy Hitch tooth Bar Bucket Tooth Bar, Clamp On for Sub-Compact Tractor will allow You to excavate some Deep Holes If You want.

But It's really sounds Like You Need a Johnny Bucket Sr Johnny Bucket Sr. John Deere 300-400 series with a tooth Bar it does a Far superior Job excavating than the Superior Tech Tractor shovel ever will
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Digging.JPG Emptying.JPG Grave 2.JPG
    mike01 likes this.
    John Deere Models: 2025RTLB(Gen 2),X748,GX335,140H3,112SF,110RF,Sabre 1542,TX Gator
    Cub Cadet Models:0riginal,70,106,XT3GSX & Experimental Non Production Rear engine rider
    Ingersoll Model:3016PS
    Simplicity Models:Wonder Boy
    White Model: GT2055

MSGT 11 & 18 Series Retired

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast