Green Tractor Talk banner

Power Lift Kit for a x590 ?

11K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  superfan75 
#1 ·
I'm going to be in the market for a new tractor in the next few months. I live in Vt and we get slammed with snow so I want a good machine to snow blow. From what I understand the 590 doesn't have any down pressure which is a bummer. Down pressure comes in handy on my 318, I have a spacer in the mount and I can lift the front tires off the ground to scrape up packed snow. I see there is a Power Lift kit available for the 500 series that claims it will produce some down pressure and also hold its position for plows and blowers. Can I use this kit on a 590 or is it only for a 500 series without hydraulic lift ? Thanks guys. I may also check out Simplicity Prestige which is available in 4wd which I'm led to believe does have down pressure. I'd kinda like to stay with John Deere though. Thanks guys.

#2 ·
You would have to step up to a x7xx series or the older 500/400 series (x585 x485 for example)

#3 ·
I have the X590 with 47 inch snow blower, live in upstate NY and really never have had any problems with no down pressure. The scraper on bottom of snow blower even scoops up packed snow. Did you have single stage thrower or two stage blower with your 318? If single stage, you’ll enjoy the benefits of 2 stage blower. The 500 series belt driven blower is in many ways superior to the PTO driven snow blower on 700 series. The belt driven blower has less maintenance and throws snow much further. Both the auger and impeller turns much faster on belt driven model

#4 ·
Yes It will work On the X590 You Just won't Need you Mid Mount connecting Parts anymore Just Your front Hitch Piece will be all That is needed then with the electric lift Kit. Just Be advised it will raise and Lower a Little slower than your On Board Hydraulic lift :bigthumb:

#5 ·
I have no issues with not having down pressure on my 580. The integral power hitch and the front quick attach hitch work just fine without down pressure. No need for additional electric actuators. The 48" blade surprised me. Even with icing conditions the blade scraped right to the pavement, and when pushing dirt I was able I was able to take as much of a bite as needed.

One plus to the floating blade comes in when the banks start to get high. Lift the blade and push. The blade then floats up and pushed the top of the bank further back. This put and end to the ever narrowing driveways of days gone by.

Reactions: superfan75
#7 ·
Hey Thanx guys for all the replies !! I definitely knew the 590 with the 2 stage blower would throw snow way further than my 318 with a single stage. I wasn't sure about the blower cutting through some of the heavy packing snow we get sometimes. I really didn't want to spend the money on a 700 series to get the job done. My driveway is a pain and having a blower that can shoot the snow over the bank in one shot will make things a lot easier. It sounds like the 590 may get the job done just fine and if I really need down pressure still I could order that kit. The worst part is where the snow come off the house and garage roofs. It packs so hard that I've spent 2hrs with a pick ax trying to loosen it up. I hope to upgrade by next winter. The old 318 is a great machine and I will hate to see it go, but its starting to show its age. I can't see dumping a bunch of money into a 30 plus year old tractor. Thank you guys again for your insight into the newer machines which I really don't know much about or have any experience with.

#8 ·
The packed snow won’t be as big an issue with 2 stage- single stage thrower is dependent on speed of tractor, two stage is independent of the speed of tractor. For instance at end of my driveway I get -3 sometimes 4 foot high pile of hard packed snow and ice left by county plows, the 2 stage blower just chews right thru it, I admittedly have to slow down going thru the higher harder packed stuff, but the 590 and 47 inch 2 stage will bring it right down to bare pavement without ramming or scraping the pile like you would have to do with single stage

#9 ·
That's awesome !! That's exactly what I need !! I think the 590 will do just what I need it to without spending all the extra money on a 700 or a scut. Thank you everyone !!

#10 ·
After reading this thread I think I’m going to trade my 1026R are in for a X590. Sounds like it is a much better snow remover with it’s belt driven blower.

#11 · (Edited)
I know you are being sarcastic, but when it comes to snow blowing the belt driven 47 inch snow blower is arguably better. The shell of the 47 inch blower is “exactly” the same on belt driven and shaft driven snow blower. You have higher auger speed and impeller speed on belt driven model. So the belt driven blower will definitely blow snow further. The 1 series and X7xx is much more versatile, with more traction, heavier tractor and many more implements and options- of course that wasn’t the question here. Far too often on this and other blogs the first answer out of people's mouth( or keyboard) is get a X7xx or 1 series- and don’t get me wrong they are beyond fantastic machines. But they aren’t always the best answer. (although I admit I never heard anyone complain they have too much tractor ;)

OP was using an aging 318 with single stage snow blower. Bigger and more expensive isn’t always better- sometimes you get the right tool for the job. If OP wants a tractor to mow with and snow blow. From an operator comfort POV, functionality of the belt driven Snow blower the X590 is a very good option. It will mow the grass better than his 318, in much more comfort. The two stage snow blower is a nice upgrade in functionality over the 1 stage snow thrower he was using on his 318. If he is looking to do more, then of course other tractors may be right tool, from an X7xx series tractor to 1 series. Hope that helps!!

#13 ·
Of course they are different part numbers the gear assembly and hook up is different. My point is actual shell ( size and thickness is the same on 47 inch blower) And yes you are correct, the shaft driven blower has metal chute, while the belt driven blower has a plastic chute with manual control. Listen I’m not saying the shaft driven blower is a POS , it’s a quality piece of equipment, and perhaps it may have a longer “life” but even that is debatable. Again we can create a new thread to discuss merits of a the JD shaft driven blower vs Belt driven blower. The OP was asking if a X590 and 47 inch blower would handle his needs—which is to mow and blow heavy packed snow- and yes the X590 will unequivocally handle that task.

#14 ·
I paid $2500 for an Ariens Pro series snow blower. Some of the components were made from plastic materials, and I'm glad they were. It's not like the "plastic" is what model planes are made from, so I don't quite understand the reasoning for many people using the word "plastic" in a derogatory fashion.

My X580 is proving to be quite the machine. It pushes dirt and snow, it tills as good as any, the mower is fantastic, hydraulics for the front, rear, and mid lift work great, all of my attachments work fine using the power sleeve hitch, it has a winch, a roller, thatcher, aerator, box blade, trailer, sweeper, 125# electric spreader, and 15hp chipper. So if I'm able to work all of these attachments up and down very steep hills, pull almost a ton of oak up steep incline (in a plastic trailer), till 1/2 acre 6" deep in 45 minutes, and on and on, I'm doing just fine. I don't have an FEL, rear PTO or 3pt hitch, but guess what? I haven't really found a need for those yet. The 590 and 580 kick ass for their size and cost, and unless you really need more, you can't ask for a better system fully capable of getting the job done.

#17 ·
Okay that is what I thought it might be. That is really cool with all those options available with that sleeve hitch I can get different attachments as my needs change. Hopefully I can get my new tractor before this winter.

#18 · (Edited)
I just wanted to update this thread. I decided I have enough work on my 1O acres that is half wooded that I really could use a compact tractor. I found a nice used John Deere 955 with a loader and a 5ft rear mount snowblower. I think this will solve my problems of removing the snow that falls off my roof between the fel and snowblower. There are plenty of uses for it so I think I made the right choice. I will keep the 318 for mowing. Plus this way I bet to have two green tractors not just one. :greentractorride:
Hear are a couple pics if they uploaded. I really appreciate all your responses to this.
Also I don't know why the pics are sideways sorry.

Attachments

Reactions: Rcook99
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.