• 1 Post By hnd

Thread: 2008 X540 does nothing when key is turned

1. Top | #1
    hnd

Last Online
    04-08-2019 @ 08:18 AM
    Thanks

2008 X540 does nothing when key is turned

So i have a pair of X540's that i bought off a yard service that was having a going out of business sale. one has less than 1000 hours on it and the other has 2000. Both have run really well for the past 2 years. I was hoping to turn around and sell the 2000 hour one this year but after this winter went out to start it and nothing. charged the battery but it seemed great.

I assumed it was a safety switch problem So I swapped all of them...seat, ignition, pto from the other mower and the other mower ran fine and the older mower wouldn't do anything. I didn't swap the brake switch just bypassed it as its riveted and that would be annoying. the others were very easy.

I put a screw driver to the solenoid and it whined. i figured it should technically start the mower or at least crank it but it didn't so i went to the good mower than runs and starts perfectly and it made the same whine noise so i was like well it appears to be the solenoid.

i swapped the solenoid out and still nothing.

So now i'm just sitting here shaking my head.

Something is keeping the starter from cranking and I can't figure it out. I've put so much time and effort into it, I'd hate to take it in. But I'm looking for some help.

I've thought about swapping the starters/solenoid with the other mower but That will be much more a pain than swapping batteries and the other switches.

Any help or other suggestions would be great guys!

These things like i said have been rock solid and i got a sweet deal on them .

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:49 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,483 Times in 1,126 Posts
    Can you turn the engine over by hand by rotating the crankshaft pulley?

It sure sounds like a battery problem - or battery cable issue. Did you remove the battery cables and clean the battery posts and cable ends? Did you try swapping the battery from the good one to the one that won't crank?

If you have a set of jumper cables you can touch the battery positive directly to the starter (+) post and it should spin.

How about the ignition switch?
    Last edited by jgayman; 04-03-2019 at 05:53 PM.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

4. Top | #3
    hnd

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    Can you turn the engine over by hand by rotating the crankshaft pulley?

It sure sounds like a battery problem - or battery cable issue. Did you remove the battery cables and clean the battery posts and cable ends? Did you try swapping the battery from the good one to the one that won't crank?

If you have a set of jumper cables you can touch the battery positive directly to the starter (+) post and it should spin.

How about the ignition switch?
    I haven't tried to turn the engine over by hand.

I removed the cables, cleaned battery posts, swapped batteries. When i turn the key the cluster lights up and does its check no issue. just when i turn it to start nothing. So there is power to the unit.

a buddy suggested a short in a harness somewhere and to do some continuity work.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    tj1
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 01:35 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hnd View Post
    I haven't tried to turn the engine over by hand.

I removed the cables, cleaned battery posts, swapped batteries. When i turn the key the cluster lights up and does its check no issue. just when i turn it to start nothing. So there is power to the unit.

a buddy suggested a short in a harness somewhere and to do some continuity work.
    Maybe a problem with the brake switch? Or I could be all washed up with a newer model? PTO is off? I'm grasping for anything to help. My wife would say you got water in the radiator.. Sorry I had to do it..
    Toughsox likes this.
    Jeff

X 738 4X4/ 54" mower deck, 47" two stage snow thrower/ linear actuator spout control, Curtis hard side cab/heater, JD roof top LED work lights, Curtis fuse block, rear roof light connected to dash light switch and reverse lights, additional 20amp alternator, Curtis fast Cast 2000 sander custom fitted to tractor/ vibrator for use with dry sand, Kubota L39 TLB, JD 450 E dozer, Husky 18 horse/ 48" mower deck/Berco 42" two stage snow thrower/Berco soft side cab, Kubota RTV500-H.

7. Top | #5
    hnd

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tj1 View Post
    Maybe a problem with the brake switch? Or I could be all washed up with a newer model? PTO is off? I'm grasping for anything to help. My wife would say you got water in the radiator.. Sorry I had to do it..
    yeah i completely bypassed the brake switch. Yeah PTO is off. But i get it. I trailered my craftsman 10 years ago to the repair shop because it wouldn't turn over. The guy got up on the trailer...pulled the pto lever, fired it right up while staring at me the entire time. never once looked at the tractor.
    tj1 likes this.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    07-14-2019 @ 09:01 AM
    Thanks

2008 X540 does nothing when key is turned

Have you tried swapping starters? Sounds like the starter isnít engaging to turn the motor and with 2000 hours who knows how many times itís been started.

Try tapping the starter with a hammer while some is trying to start it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Rcook99; 04-04-2019 at 05:58 PM.
    Toughsox likes this.

9. Top | #7
    hnd

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rcook99 View Post
    Have you tried swapping starters? Sounds like the starter isnít engaging to turn the motor and with 2000 hours who knows how many times itís been started.

Try tapping the starter with a hammer while some is trying to start it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yeah, i swapped the starters. Nothing. So what i did was put a 12v tester onto everything that should betting 12v. what i found was that when i turned the ignition on the GOOD mower, the primary power (small red/white wire going to solenoid) from the ignition would light up on my tester. When i did the same thing to the older mower, nothing. So when i have some more time i'm going to start there and see where that leads me.
    Rcook99 likes this.

10. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements